Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #10321
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are we all forgetting that Ferland's natural position is LW?
He's not your long term solution to the #1 RW spot nor your #2 RW spot on most teams but COULD slot in under the right circumstances.
Keep in mind hes NOT a 20g scoring winger, he's a winger who scored 20g playing top line minutes with both JG and SM for the majority of the first 2 quarters of the season for 1 season.

He'd be a great 3rd line LW/RW if Calgary had the forward depth they should. I think this is part of what Brad addressed in his coach firing presser, he's acknowledged the team is not built properly.

We need to make more than 1 move this summer to bolster the offence, that include's 2 forwards who are prominent on the RW preferably. We desperately need a shoot first RW on that first line.

I could see Hoffman doing well, a deal around Brodie+ would likely get that done.

Pipe dream would be Nylander OR Marner for Hamilton+ but that's less than likely unless Toronto is eliminated in the first round.

Backlund and Frolik should be your 3rd line shut down defensive line, which would open up the 2nd line for say Tkachuk - ROR (rumored) - open slot:

For example:

Gaudreu Monahan Hoffman
Tkachuck RoR Bennett
Ferland Backlund Frolik

Ferland/Bennett swapping on that 2nd line depending on chemistry in camp?
I know everyone hates on Bennett (I don't think he's a bust) but I think a new coach/new system and better line-mates makes a world of difference if given time at the start of the season to see what they can do.

Last edited by Royle9; 04-19-2018 at 09:18 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #10322
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames need a top RW. I don't see how O'Reilly fixes that problem.

I think the assets to acquire him (assuming he is available) and cap room are better used elsewhere.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #10323
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
1. Of course knowledgeable hockey journalist/scout/professional are not referring to my post on CP.

2. You were not here at the time, but there were some very vocal people that wanted Jokinen here even though it wasn't what we needed (playmaking centre, versus shooting centre). The results were predictable.

ROR is not coming here unless there is a significant roster overhaul because he does not fill a priority need.
1. find me a quote of a hockey journalist/scout/professional that shares your opinion of RoR being the equivalent of Jokinen (or anything resembling something along the lines that he's overrated). I don't believe I've ever heard or seen that. He's a guy who has lead he league in face offs and takeaways. He plays in all situations and is considered one of the best two way C in the league. I bet there would be a long list of GM's with interest in RoR if the Sabres put him on the market. The Flames are a team that can absorb his salary & everything they have done over the past two years indicates they want to contend. You're Jokinen comparison misses the mark completely.

2. I've been here since 2004, reading this forum. I was here.

Lastly, RoR fills a pretty big hole. For the sake of argument let's say jankowski is one of the pieces going to buffalo; your top 3 lines start to look like this:

Gaudreu Monahan Ferland
Tkachuck RoR xxxxx
Bennett Backlund Frolik
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #10324
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Morning crew also suggesting Fox could be a trade chip. Unpopular opinion but I agree with this and do expect his rights will be moved in a deal to bolster the top 6 this summer.

Listening to Pinder, he was previously suggesting Bennett, Janko, and Valamaki, which is utter insanity.

I texted in (maybe others did too) to get them thinking about Fox as a starting point. Do I want to move him? Not really, but someone has to move to get a RoR. Besides, whether the signing threat is significant or not, it is a factor that should be considered. Trading a NY boy to NY would likely increase his desire to sign, and he is a REALLY highly thought of prospect.

If we try and get RoR, I think he's (unfortunately) the logical centerpiece of the deal for the Sabres.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #10325
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Yeah, but not so mouth-watering to imagine giving up $7.5 million a year plus the assets to acquire him. There are much, much bigger holes to fill.

Faceoffs are an important detail, but they are still a detail. I worked out a couple of years back, when the Flames had the worst FO% in the league, that it was costing them about one minute per game of possession time (compared to average). You just don't pay $7.5 million to fix that.
What Bigger holes?

Our RW woes are very overblown- IMO moreso than a right wing, we need a proven player who can carry his own line. ROR can do that. If we have three centres that can carry lines and drive play (Monahan-ROR-Backlund) then our wingers can just fill in the blanks. We'll get one line mismatched in most games.

Brodie+Jankowski+Fox for RoR and a small add is my hope. Maybe we can even parlay it into Alex Nylander.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-RoR-Bennett
Frolik-Backlund- (Alex Nylander, Spencer Foo, or Andrew Mangiapane)
Brouwer-Shore-Lazar

That is a pretty strong forward lineup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #10326
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie+Jankowski+Fox for ROR and Nylander (who has done anything but impress since being drafted) would be absolutely brutal for the Flames.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #10327
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Are you self identifying with that group?

Team needs scoring help.

How does ROR fix that?

He slots in slightly above Backlund. Probably costs you Backlund. You also have Janko in dev, who could fill a similar role soon.

At least Jokinen was a C when we needed a C.
No. I'm not advocating the Flames must trade for him at all costs but I'm not opposed to it either. He's better than Backlund but he is getting paid accordingly, however his 60% faceoff win percentage is phenomenal. People can talk about lack or RW or Center but when's the last time this organization had a center that was amongst the best in the league let alone the best? This has been a team that's always been at the bottom of the league in faceoff win percentage and IMO that's something that needs improvement so a 60 point center that's good on special teams and the best in the league at faceoffs is a guy that can help any team. I feel like it's you that is kind of ill-informed which is why your comment stuck out to me.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #10328
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really, really, really think you have to wait to so how Brodie looks under a new coach before you trade him for pennies on the dollar. It's unlikely his value will ever be lower, so there's nothing lost to see how he performs in the fall.

Don't pull an Oilers.

Last edited by Ashasx; 04-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #10329
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
Listening to Pinder, he was previously suggesting Bennett, Janko, and Valamaki, which is utter insanity.
Fox
Jankowski
Bennett

for

ROR
2nd

There are going to be several teams in on O'Reilly if he's put on the block. #1/#2 centres don't grow on trees. The Flames aren't going to get him for a prospect and a 3rd line winger.

That deal still leaves room for a Brodie or Hamilton for RW deal.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-RoR-Hoffman
Frolik -Backlund- Foo
Brouwer-Shore-Lazar

That's a big improvement to the forward group. The second line looks genuinely dangerous, and Backlund-Frolik are in their more suitable role of shutdown line.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-19-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #10330
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly

Line 1 - Gaudreau - Monahan - ________

We know those two can carry a line, and we know Ferland can ride shot gun if an upgrade can't be found or acquired.

Line 2 - Tkachuk - O'Reilly - ________

Tkachuk is a beast, and ROR is a two way center, these two would easily be able to carry a solid scoring line that would also be defensively responsible and tough as hell to play against.

Line 3 - _______ - Backlund - Frolik

We know these two guys can carry a defensively STRONG line capable of chipping in offensively as well, basically a perfect make up for a 3rd line in today's NHL.

And in this scenario all three of the anchor C's are signed to 5 or 6 years. Once you re-sign Tkachuk your main pieces of a solid top 9 forward group are locked in for a long time at a reasonable combined cap hit.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #10331
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Flames would be getting ROR and Reinhart in the same package. Help the middle and the right side.

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk ROR Reinhart
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Lazar Jankowski Brouwer
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #10332
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Never mind not trading roster players on some kind of principle. I expect a GM to determine if the problems with the ones you have are fixable.

Mar 16. Flames just off that road trip and having beat Buff, Ott. Could try to save the season if they build on that. Down 5-3 in the third. A minute in, Hamilton lets Kane stroll out front for a tip in. Puts the game out of reach.

Mar 21. It’s against the Ducks. 0-0. Gio and Hamilton are in the corner. Hamilton recovers the puck, turns it over and Cogliano goes to the net. Hamilton takes one half assed stride. Cogliano with all the time in the world waits out Smith. When he shoots, you see Gio diving across over Smith to try to stop the puck. Hamilton is watching. He looks like when I play D in beer league. Meh. Get him next time.

Just a couple of recent examples, but at the time the team was falling off a cliff, very avoidable mistakes of either the ‘attention to detail’ or the ‘give a crap’ type. There were far too many over the year.

These are the ‘give a crap’ examples that concern people, and hopefully the GM. You only make Hamilton untouchable if those goals are solvable with coaching or attention to detail or giving a crap.

It’s much easier (and better) to fix your problems than to trade your problems
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #10333
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I think Flames would be getting ROR and Reinhart in the same package. Help the middle and the right side.

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk ROR Reinhart
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Lazar Jankowski Brouwer
Cool, so the Sabres give up their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, including their top goal scorer this year, and get back what in return? Nice of the Sabres looking out for the Flames, but they probably want something in return.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #10334
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Flames need a top RW. I don't see how O'Reilly fixes that problem.

I think the assets to acquire him (assuming he is available) and cap room are better used elsewhere.
ROR can play LW/C. Bringing him in could allow us to move Tkachuk to RW and then boom, we have a legit top line RW.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
O’Reilly-Jankowski-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

O’Reilly would improve the team period. Give us a ton of flexibility and depth.

Wills was banging the Tavares drum. He’d be another fantastic add.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #10335
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk ROR Reinhart
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Lazar Jankowski Brouwer
How do we still have Brouwer?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #10336
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Someone please explain to me, why we all complain about Brouwer so much and yet when we put together a fantasy line up, he's always still in there?

You're making an imaginary line up that could include anyone. Why do we keep Brouwer in there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #10337
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Someone please explain to me, why we all complain about Brouwer so much and yet when we put together a fantasy line up, he's always still in there?

You're making an imaginary line up that could include anyone. Why do we keep Brouwer in there?
Right?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #10338
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Cool, so the Sabres give up their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, including their top goal scorer this year, and get back what in return? Nice of the Sabres looking out for the Flames, but they probably want something in return.
Brodie, Fox, Prospect, 2nd pick.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #10339
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Brouwer is going nowhere, I don't see ownership buying him out.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #10340
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some things in life there is no undo button on:
Drinking and Driving
Herpes
Troy Brouwer @ 4.5M

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread