Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mary Simon appointed Governer General

I normally don't put much weight into our Governer General, especially since the last one. But I encourage you to watch her address:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mar...eral-1.6114622

'Prime Minister, fyi my Inuk name means bossy, little old lady'
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's awesome. I kinda wish it was the norm (not a rule) that the GG position is filled with an Indigenous leader as a sign that this land is theirs and we are just on it. The Crown gives its ascent to an Indigenous leader who then gives it to the PM. Symbolic.

I hope someday in our lifetimes we seem a First Nations Prime Minister.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

She sounds like a great pick based on her resume alone. Having Indigenous representation at the highest level of government is a bonus.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I think it's awesome. I kinda wish it was the norm (not a rule) that the GG position is filled with an Indigenous leader as a sign that this land is theirs and we are just on it. The Crown gives its ascent to an Indigenous leader who then gives it to the PM. Symbolic.

I hope we see a move away from the Monarchy all together.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I hope that this comes across properly, but this strikes me as a very slippery slope with some unintended consequences.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently the government has received hundreds of complaints that she doesn't speak French.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Apparently the government has received hundreds of complaints that she doesn't speak French.
Being English-French bilingual has been a mandatory qualification for every previous GG.

Not that I think this was a bad pick. But it’s unsurprising some Quebecers are displeased that Canada’s effective head of state doesn’t speak both official languages.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

She mentioned in her address that she is actively learning french, and also read some prepared parts in french. It's beginner level but soon she'll be speaking 3 languages..
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, good for her that she speaks several languages - was she the best person for the job? who knows - but hopefully this time, skippy's choice was somewhat vetted
Old 07-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact we still have a Governor General - a position of no real use, no real authority and no real significance to anyone – is mildly entertaining. The fact that this position is still fully-funded by the taxpayers - is grossly ridiculous.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sorry I love that she doesn't speak French, its ironic considering that Quebec doesn't want to be bilingual anymore.

You go Mary.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #12
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sorry I love that she doesn't speak French, its ironic considering that Quebec doesn't want to be bilingual anymore.

You go Mary.
Ha I was thinking the same thing. That said, its mind blowing to me our leaders couldn't find a FN qualified person for the role that speaks French.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I find it almost appalling any Canadians support it.
When you get down to it, you are supporting an institution that stands for birthright- that is to say, it stands for people being born into a level of respect that other humans get.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
The fact we still have a Governor General - a position of no real use, no real authority and no real significance to anyone – is mildly entertaining. The fact that this position is still fully-funded by the taxpayers - is grossly ridiculous.
I actually think it’s useful.

We have a government system that is almost entirely based on norms. Having a non-elected person usually of some stature and ethics deal with things like who should be asked to form government in a minority parliament or if an election should be called or if a minority party be allowed to form government or issues around puroging.

In These unplanned or unusual situations having a less partisan person in charge adds value.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I find it almost appalling any Canadians support it.
When you get down to it, you are supporting an institution that stands for birthright- that is to say, it stands for people being born into a level of respect that other humans get.
Sure, but princesses! Decorative plates! Weddings!

Keep the royals going I say. In fact, cede Canada to the UK. Chips for everyone!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 PM   #16
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Of real use, a ton of symbolic authority, and of absolutely central importance to our style of government.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #17
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Virtually all of the most stable democracies in the world are constitutional monarchies. Canada, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, the UK.

Which could just be a coincidence. But at the very least it suggests it’s not a problem that needs to be urgently fixed. And the cost and time to do away with it in Canada would be enormous. All of the country’s treaties with First Nations would need to be opened up, for starters. The constitution would need to be opened up, and the last time we tried to do that it was a ####-show. And of course a new head of state role would have to be created and political parties come to some kind of agreement about what that would look like. It would take decades, and be an absolute bonanza to the billable hours of Canadian law firms.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #18
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I would be okay with that, but I really like the symbolic and powerless Head-of-State.

I do wonder if it ties into what Cliff was saying about how the stable democracies are Constitutional Monarchies.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Virtually all of the most stable democracies in the world are constitutional monarchies. Canada, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, the UK.

Which could just be a coincidence. But at the very least it suggests it’s not a problem that needs to be urgently fixed. And the cost and time to do away with it in Canada would be enormous. All of the country’s treaties with First Nations would need to be opened up, for starters. The constitution would need to be opened up, and the last time we tried to do that it was a ####-show. And of course a new head of state role would have to be created and political parties come to some kind of agreement about what that would look like. It would take decades, and be an absolute bonanza to the billable hours of Canadian law firms.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #20
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I actually think it’s useful.

We have a government system that is almost entirely based on norms. Having a non-elected person usually of some stature and ethics deal with things like who should be asked to form government in a minority parliament or if an election should be called or if a minority party be allowed to form government or issues around purging.

In These unplanned or unusual situations having a less partisan person in charge adds value.
I think the idea of the GG is useful, but not one appointed by a PM and not one that represents "the crown"
Harper got close when he set up a process our current PM ignored, have a Board recommend one.

But, given the actual power a GG has, I would like to see the role moved to the supreme court, or some sort of pre-defined tribunal. They shouldn't have this power only to be appointed by the current PM.