Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #1241
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe he wasn't invited by the guys so he found other things to do?
For whatever reason.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #1242
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

A couple of things that I haven't seen, or maybe missed in this thread.

- John Shannon from Sportsnet said
Quote:
"The whole team would go for lunch at Moxies, and Dougie Hamilton would go to the museum."
according to ESPN after the trade. I'm guessing he said this to illustrate that Hamilton never quite fit in.

- Treliving said he isn't done changing the team and will be making more moves.

That second point is all I need to hear. I'm sure Treliving plans on adding at least one more forward and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves another defenceman.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #1243
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

Never miss your chance to blow.
Tre is sweaty
Wings weak
D is heavy
They're hating on Dougie already
Fans forgetting.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #1244
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
We don't know if Hamilton was a cancer in the locker room.
We don't know if he was unhappy as a Flame.
But I do know what we saw after games and that was Hamilton being a comic frequently and making his team mates laugh.
We do know Gio, Monahan, Johnny have all commented on interviews Hamilton was one of the funniest guys on the team.
We also know several players have posted tweets and IG how they liked playing with him and have wished him the best.
That doesn't sound like a bad guy.

This I agree with, I don't think Hamilton is a bad buy at all. I've been having trouble as well coming to grips with the photo-bombing Dougie not fitting in. Maybe it's just a case of him being more upset with his brother's trade than he showed.

It seems safe to say that Dougie didn't want to stay, and the Flames were looking to trade him. That doesn't make him a bad guy, nor a cancer.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #1245
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to judge Dougie because I think perhaps indeed he just doesn't fit in with the NHL culture. Looking at his community work he seems like a very genuine and good person.
But there's just so much strangeness surrounding him, now on two teams. Including the whole brother thing.
I honestly don't know what to make of it. I'm not going to try to guess. I just hope we finds a better spot for himself in Carolina as he seems like a decent guy.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #1246
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I think this is an interesting trade. I was honestly shocked to see it was Hamilton that we were moving and Ferland part of the deal with Adam Fox.

I'd like to know if Adam Fox played his fourth year he would become a FA but would have to sign with a team on an ELC? Would the Flames recover this draft pick? This rule really can be very troublesome for teams. If Johnny refused to sign and ended up somewhere else without anything in return that would be the coulda shoulda boo hoo fest on here forever.

The next observation I had is Treliving is often working with teams which there are connections and or personal knowledge such as Arizona. How does a I deal like this get done with the same team who we just acquired the coach from? The odds seem pretty low but here we are.

To that end, what point is it looking at Carolina players stats, who as I understand spends to the cap basement or near to and managed to finish 1 less point in the win column then the Flames? That said, the Flames did pull the plug on the season causing us to finish much lower in the standings then we may have.

It would be interesting to now if Dougie and/or Ferland realize they are traded into an organization that might be the equivalent of Siberia? Do Hanifin and Lindholm feel they are being traded into Siberia? I mean getting traded to a cup contending team from either of these teams would feel better for any player.

Like the forum, I have friends that are equally split on Hamilton. Some nights he was super elite, other nights prone to defensive errors. Will never forget when we were at the St. Louis game around Christmas and I had 3 friends. One friend was running him down hard, so I started cheering so loudly for Dougie, he got a hat trick that night and by the end our whole section was laughing because I would cheer loud whenever he got the puck. I enjoyed Dougie and he was an offensive asset. He was also acquired on a very good trade by Brad Treliving.
I liked how the Flames handled this because if Fox didn't want to play here (as reported) he didn't really get to dictate the terms of where he was going.
This puts the ball back in Adams court with another team he may or may not like. Looking forward to the season!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #1247
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I felt at the time it was more suitable than saying so are we going to expect you to make another sh###y trade.
I just wanted to let him know not all the STH are here to take selfies with you.
I was heated leading up to the introduction could I have been nice sure but I have spent closing in on 20 years as a STH and hold Treliving the absolute most responsible for hiring Gulutzan and the mess of this past season, the mess going into this draft. Treliving as GM is teflon every poor decision slides off him and nobody truly holds him accountable.
Some of us actually care about the quality of the team and the results and I wanted to be clear this meet and greet with STH is yet another lacking of accountability appearence for you BT.

If you had one shot would you take it.
I took it, so do most agree with my conduct nope.
But I took it and it is unlikely I will have other chances to tell the GM In a measure, I hold you accountable.
I understand the sentiment of not wanting to suck up, but you can be respectful and question his trades at the same time. "Hello Mr. Treliving, let me ask you about the trade for Travis Hamonic..."
I think if you had approached it in this manner, the message would be better received and leave him open for a discussion. By phrasing it the way you did, he would've immediately shut you out. It's just human nature. People need to be open to what you're saying if you want them to hear you.
I admire and understand your passion for the team. I too am prone to crazy outbursts but I'm trying... just some food for thought man.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #1248
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

My take on Adam Fox is that he's at Harvard for the Harvard degree. He'll stay all four years, then decide how to proceed to a pro hockey career. He's obviously a very intelligent kid, who marches to the beat of his own drum. Reminds me a bit of Ken Dryden, another Ivy Leaguer, who took a sabbatical from the NHL to complete his studies.

If he has a Hobey Baker at that point, then he'll have some additional leverage. I don't think it had anything to do with Calgary per se.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 06-23-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #1249
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
i’m just getting caught up now.

Can someone link me to a post with a summary of this interview?

Tia
https://twitter.com/user/status/1010615800963612672
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #1250
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton was a fantastic player.
I think Hanifin and Linholm are both very good players, with the potential to become fantastic players. I see as much promise in Hanifin now as I did in Dougie when we acquired him.

You have to give quality to get quality. No need to try to figure out if Dougie was a problem, or if he was asking to be traded in my opinion. I would rather concede that he was great while he was here, and I hope he continues to be great in Carolina
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #1251
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[MOD EDIT] Over the line.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #1252
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
A couple of things that I haven't seen, or maybe missed in this thread.

- John Shannon from Sportsnet said according to ESPN after the trade. I'm guessing he said this to illustrate that Hamilton never quite fit in.

- Treliving said he isn't done changing the team and will be making more moves.

That second point is all I need to hear. I'm sure Treliving plans on adding at least one more forward and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves another defenceman.
Yeah, that's the tweet I was referring to. Says more about John Shannon than it does about Hamilton imo.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #1253
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
[MOD EDIT] Over the line
Wtf?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #1254
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
[MOD EDIT] Over the line
What did i just read
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #1255
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
This is a great post. There are lots of people who are introverts and just enjoy being connected in a different way. Not everyone has to mix in with the crowd that going out for drinks.
There is nothing about Hamilton that suggests introvert to me...in fact, I would say quite the opposite.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #1256
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think the opposite would be attacking gay people in the streets.

There was a tweet about how the players went to Moxies and Hamilton didn't go and went to the museum (lol intellectuals) implying it was a bad thing. It's crap like this which I think is dumb about hockey culture. First of all, Moxie's sucks, I wouldn't want to go there either. Second, not everyone is the same, and sometimes there are people who like to fly solo, or are a bit quirky. Why are these presented as character flaws.
Totally agreed. This should not be a negative attack on Dougies character.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #1257
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was priceless. Sheer gold.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #1258
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We don't know if Hamilton was a cancer in the locker room.
We don't know if he was unhappy as a Flame.
But I do know what we saw after games and that was Hamilton being a comic frequently and making his team mates laugh.
We do know Gio, Monahan, Johnny have all commented on interviews Hamilton was one of the funniest guys on the team.
We also know several players have posted tweets and IG how they liked playing with him and have wished him the best.
That doesn't sound like a bad guy.
By your logic is also doesn’t sound like a guy who hates to lose.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #1259
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like the trade.

Dougie is a great player, excellent offense as most have said but frustrating to watch how someone with such a big body can be so soft defensively. Think playing with Gio was a gift and we sold pretty high. Same goes for Ferly, good story but is probably a 3rd line player when not paired with Monahan/Johnny.

I'm pretty excited to see how Lindholm will fit in on the top line. It's been interesting watching Johnny carry the playmaker role exclusively on that line and hopefully this frees him up a bit. Monahan will never be that playmaking C and no one we have put in the RW spot has been able to either. Curious to see how this effects opponents having to deal with two playmaking threats. It could result in more goals from everyone across the whole line.

Peters straight up said it will go back to Gio - Brodie with Hammer - Hanifin...that composition seems better to me.

Risk/reward trade, but the upside is all ours. Pretty decent young core being built.
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliak For This Useful Post:
tko
Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #1260
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the actual feck is going on here. All of the personal life crap is going too far.. What we know is something was up with Hamilton. Only the Flames know the full scope. Full stop. This is getting absurd. Even in jest this just poor taste.

A hockey player got traded. They had their reasons. End of story.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-23-2018 at 08:43 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: