Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #7841
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny because during the last off season that Duchene contract, when it was signed, was considered a discount deal for a preferred destination.

Fans are so what have you done for me lately.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about trading Gaudreau for him, but he's a hell of a player despite a bit of a down season offensively. He's got speed to burn, can play wing or C, is really good at face offs and has usually been a strong possession player.

I'd take him on the Flames for sure.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #7842
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's funny because during the last off season that Duchene contract, when it was signed, was considered a discount deal for a preferred destination.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about trading Gaudreau for him, but he's a hell of a player despite a bit of a down season offensively. He's got speed to burn, can play wing or C, is really good at face offs and has usually been a strong possession player.

If we are talking Preds centers I think I would prefer Johansen due to his size and being a right shot. Same cap hit as Duchene.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #7843
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If we are talking Preds centers I think I would prefer Johansen due to his size and being a right shot. Same cap hit as Duchene.
I would prefer Johansen as well. He's also a little younger. I think he would be a tremendous fit on a line with Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Both guys have great shots and Johansen is a distributor.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #7844
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

People actually thought that was a good contract? I've felt it was god awful from day one

Edit: I'm stupid, I was thinking Johansson's contract
Old 09-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #7845
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hall > Duchene in every way.

Hall is younger, faster, built heavier, has the better pedigree, and has the higher: ppg, gpg, playoff ppg, hits, and believe it or not +/- even though he was an oiler. oh and a hart trophy.

Plus he's a calgarian. He'll be motivated. He's always shown a better attitude publicly than duchene.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #7846
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Hall is younger, faster, built heavier, has the better pedigree, and has the higher: ppg, gpg, playoff ppg, hits, and believe it or not +/- even though he was an oiler. oh and a hart trophy.

Plus he's a calgarian. He'll be motivated. He's always shown a better attitude publicly than duchene.
Duchene knows how to eat a banana tho.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #7847
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolute no to Ryan Johansen.

They guy scored over 30 once at got an 8 million dollar a year contract. Now he averages 14 goals a season.

I’d take Duchene over him in a heartbeat.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #7848
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Absolute no to Ryan Johansen.

They guy scored over 30 once at got an 8 million dollar a year contract. Now he averages 14 goals a season.

I’d take Duchene over him in a heartbeat.
Neither please, thanks.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #7849
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

People are going to have strong opinions about this but what about something around Monahan for Laine?

Monahan gives WPG that second line centre.

Laine can slot in as the top line RW in Calgary. Bennett gets promoted to top 6. Backlund plays second line or Lindholm switches to C. Obviously, we’re signing Hall.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Laine
Hall - Bennett - Tkachuk
Dube - Backlund - Mangiapane
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #7850
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Duchene likes him some country & western music.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #7851
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Did Flash get banned again? I haven’t seen him around these parts in a while.

I like his trade proposals.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #7852
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
People are going to have strong opinions about this but what about something around Monahan for Laine?

Laine can slot in as the top line RW in Calgary. Bennett gets promoted to top 6. Backlund plays second line or Lindholm switches to C. Obviously, we’re signing Hall.

Hall - Bennett - Tkachuk
Even Lindholm wouldn't be enough to keep that line afloat defensively.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #7853
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hall - Bennett - Tkachuk
Naw not a fan of Laine and his $10M per contract demands.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #7854
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Naw not a fan of Laine and his $10M per contract demands.
What if the Flames were able to extend him at a reasonable price as a condition of the deal? 5 or 6 years at 7-8M?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #7855
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
They might say no, so don't even bother trying!
Making trades is hard. Really, really hard. Unless the other team explicitly wants your NMC player, it's pretty silly to bark up that tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The primary reason for this would be that Minnesota has build themselves a nice big hole to climb out of, and that is why the league is playing hardball with them. They should have traded Dumba before trading Staal.
This prompts the question: maybe that's intentional? Guerin's quotes on the trade amount to 'change for the sake of change', which is such a dumb thing to say that it might just be a euphemism for 'we're tanking'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
the problemfor the Wild is that they are going to lose Dumba in the expansion draft. And everyone knows it. So his value is less than what it would be.
True, and the acquiring team is likely to be pushing a decent defenseman onto their exposure list, so the suitors are limited. And there are quite a few decent UFA d-men out there.

Quote:

Health, and position (though Duchene's credentials at C aren't that strong)

Personally, I'll take answer C: none of the above.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #7856
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't mind a Duchene/Gaudreau swap. Nashville might have to add a little bit (2nd rounder-ish), since that contract isn't great dollar-wise.
Johnny will definitely put up more points, but I really like Duchene's motor, and he plays that top 6 center position, which is notoriously hard to fill. He's maybe a year or two older than you would ideally want in a player for player swap, but he let the flames flip Johnny into a longer-term asset while still remaining competitive.
That's the kind of trade you might want to see if Hall is coming in.

I would still prefer something based around a younger promising roster player and a 1st, but I wouldn't rage at Tre.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #7857
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

And he consistently leads his teams to the golf course in mid April. Nice!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #7858
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What if the Flames were able to extend him at a reasonable price as a condition of the deal? 5 or 6 years at 7-8M?
I don’t see that as a possibility.

I am also surprised how many people think we can trade Monahan and replace him from within? Laine is not signing an extension right away without a significant raise. I also really don’t like his attitude and in interviews I see an entitled, arrogant young man.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #7859
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
And he consistently leads his teams to the golf course in mid April. Nice!
Both of them do, and Gaudreau tees off while they're on hole #3.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #7860
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I wouldn't mind a Duchene/Gaudreau swap. Nashville might have to add a little bit (2nd rounder-ish), since that contract isn't great dollar-wise.
Johnny will definitely put up more points, but I really like Duchene's motor, and he plays that top 6 center position, which is notoriously hard to fill. He's maybe a year or two older than you would ideally want in a player for player swap, but he let the flames flip Johnny into a longer-term asset while still remaining competitive.
That's the kind of trade you might want to see if Hall is coming in.

I would still prefer something based around a younger promising roster player and a 1st, but I wouldn't rage at Tre.
A 2nd doesn't seem too ambitious when we get worse, older, AND more expensive.

Last edited by Redrum; 09-24-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread