Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #1341
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
I don't really get what's wrong with the dome. I mean, it's a year younger than me and as far as I know no one is trying to get rid of me.

How is a new arena going to help with revenue? Bigger capacity? Fancier fittings which make people happy to pay out more for season tickets & overpriced concessions? I just don't see it. Or is it a big earner because of the construction contracts they get to hand out to companies in the position to rake in money building the thing?
Excellent. So far all is going according to plan.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #1342
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Ken King is like Jack Nicholson in the shining

"HONEY, I'm home.....I'm not going to hurt you , noooo, I'm not going to hurt you , I'm gonna bash

Or like living with a werewolf , which version are you going to get when the moon is full......wow Kenny.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #1343
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like they emailed this statement out to STH too, I just got a copy with the salutation:

Dear 264xxx, (my account number)

Thanks Ken, good to know we are all just numbers to you.

Not really put out by this, just shaking my head at how CSEC can't seem to do anything right on public relations it seems.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #1344
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously....I love the guy as an ambassador, I've met him a few times and he is just the nicest most honest and stand-up guy, but this whole project just might be asking to much of Ken King.

I might have to step back and re-evaluate things but up to this point this seems like a massively bungled mess on the part of the Flames and that has to land somewhere.

I'm really disappointed. This has not been handled with the class and professionalism typically shown of the Flames Organization. What the hell is going on?

That was pure damage control.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #1345
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I wish both sides would shut up until they had something meaningful to share.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #1346
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I made to/too transgression!! Goddammit Fuzz!!!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #1347
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
My thoughts exactly. The media posturing from both Calgary and the Flames is getting very old very fast
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #1348
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That was a bungling, horribly crafted letter. Very difficult to read, and not of the quality befitting a professional organization like the Flames.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #1349
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

nm...simply not worth it.

Last edited by transplant99; 04-02-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #1350
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Good for the local businesses, sure, I cannot refute that. But for the city? Also, keep in mind the city incurs costs too. Drunken vandals breaking bus stops. High traffic roads need to be swept and repaved. Maintenance of side walks & pedestrian crossings. Extra policing during these events. Maintenance and costs of the extra buses and train transit to support the flood of users during these events.

So again, if the city incurs costs, and the city directly yields little to no revenue from the actual influx of people spending money at pubs and games, then where's the economic benefit?
This has to be the post where you finally realized you were wrong in your comment that there is NO economic benefit to Calgary having a new arena and NHL franchise. Using vandalism of bus stops and maintenance of side walks as the argument of what will offset any gain? really?

On the bright side at least you went from NO benefit to now admitting there is some but quickly finding something to offset it.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #1351
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
This has to be the post where you finally realized you were wrong in your comment that there is NO economic benefit to Calgary having a new arena and NHL franchise. Using vandalism of bus stops and maintenance of side walks as the argument of what will offset any gain? really?

On the bright side at least you went from NO benefit to now admitting there is some but quickly finding something to offset it.
Lol. Yeah I guess when you lack intelligence and/or reading comprehension you could draw that conclusion. Benefits to local businesses = benefits to the city??
Old 04-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #1352
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also liked how you ignored my plea to prove me otherwise. Pretty convenient no?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #1353
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The fact we keep talking about King as the bad guy and not Edwards and co. means he is doing his job well, I'd say. I don't like it or him, but he's the messenger people are shooting at, which makes the owners look good.

King is the mouth of CSEC, so all images of him should be replaced with:

Remember what happened to that guy? Aragorn cut his head off for spouting stupid ####
Old 04-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #1354
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. Yeah I guess when you lack intelligence and/or reading comprehension you could draw that conclusion. Benefits to local businesses = benefits to the city??
Quote:
I also liked how you ignored my plea to prove me otherwise. Pretty convenient no?
I am preparing 2 different offers for clientele right now after showing properties all morning and afternoon.

With my lack of intelligence and reading comprehension, it takes a bit longer to get things done so I hope you can understand.

Posting on CP and explaining to a class act like yourself who calls someone on their reading comprehension and intelligence is not at the top of my list, especially when it is as ridiculous as explaining how wrong they are to say that Calgary has NO financial benefit to having the flames.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #1355
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is definitely benefit to the economy and community around the new rink in Calgary but let's not forget about the businesses around the saddledome right now. They're going to feel the pinch when the Flames do leave the dome.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #1356
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Don't be insulting. It doesn't benefit the discussion.

The difference in the positions is small "c" city vs. big "C" City.

You are only looking at direct benefits to the Municipality of the City of Calgary, being a legal entity unto itself, others are looking at benefits to Calgarians and their businesses, which are the city.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #1357
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's uncalled for and makes you look childish.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #1358
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
lol
Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #1359
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
There is definitely benefit to the economy and community around the new rink in Calgary but let's not forget about the businesses around the saddledome right now. They're going to feel the pinch when the Flames do leave the dome.
Unless they stay in the Victoria Park area (which is most-likely what will happen).

Of course, if they do create a Victoria Park "Entertainment District" around the new building, it will likely have some negative impact on the businesses along 17th who benefit from the Red Mile.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #1360
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Since this is all going to come down to the political will to give public money to CSEC, a public relations battle is part of the process. That's why King went on SN960 last week to encourage Flames fans to be more vocal about the need for an arena.
Closed Thread