Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #12881
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Gaudreau is "more frail"? In the past four seasons he has played in 327 games. Marchessault has played in 292.
Marchessault has only been a "regular" for 2 seasons.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #12882
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Sure,
Basically Wilson breaks it down to 3 categories:

Untouchables
Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Giordano

Almost untouchable
Hamilton, Ferland, Jankowski, Frolik, Hamonic, Andersson, Kulak, Smith

Probably staying put
Hathaway, Gillies, Shore, Lazar

Probably on the move
Brodie, Bennett, Stone, Brouwer

Ugh. I didn’t care for this guy’s stuff when it was free. People have said it has gotten better when you pay for it but I just can’t do it.

More of a fanboy perspective than a realist.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #12883
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Theres a decent write up for each player listed, he just doesn't throw the names out like I did. Its a good piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #12884
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Theres a decent write up for each player listed, he just doesn't throw the names out like I did. Its a good piece.
I expected so, and I do appreciate the guy’s effort. He works hard but I sometime wondered if he actually watches hockey.

Just don’t usually have the same perspective as the guy.

And the way they are broken down, admittedly not having read the article, I rolled my eyes a bit because it appears to be rounding up the usual suspects, gathering up the internet whipping boys and speculating they are all likely to move.

But will admit and live with my ignorance as I don’t find his insight worth allocating my meagre dollars.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #12885
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I expected so, and I do appreciate the guy’s effort. He works hard but I sometime wondered if he actually watches hockey.

Just don’t usually have the same perspective as the guy.

And the way they are broken down, admittedly not having read the article, I rolled my eyes a bit because it appears to be rounding up the usual suspects, gathering up the internet whipping boys and speculating they are all likely to move.

But will admit and live with my ignorance as I don’t find his insight worth allocating my meagre dollars.
To be fair, the only thing I really disagree with in the article are the headings he decided to use. Even then the actual article is "potential" to move, not "probably".
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #12886
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kessel is 30 coming off a 92 point season.

He has four years left with a 6.8M cap hit. His contract will be done before his 35th birthday.

His salary owed is 5.95M, 5.95M, 5.1M, 5.1M. Take a loss on the trade for that contract? It's one of the best contracts in the league thanks to Toronto retaining.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #12887
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Kessel is 30 coming off a 92 point season.

He has four years left with a 6.8M cap hit. His contract will be done before his 35th birthday.

His salary owed is 5.95M, 5.95M, 5.1M, 5.1M. Take a loss on the trade for that contract? It's one of the best contracts in the league thanks to Toronto retaining.
My question is, and the Fan960 guys were curious too, does that salary retention stay if Pittsburgh trades Kessel? Steinberg and Kerr don't seem to think so. So if we did trade for Kessel, it may be a full price.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #12888
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only would it remain retained by Toronto, but Pittsburgh could retain some of it as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #12889
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just looked it up. You're permitted two trades under the CBA where the retention sticks on the OG retaining team. Now if I read this right, Pitt can retain a further 20%-ish of Kessels contract if they trade him.

Fun thing is, if the Flames did trade Kessel later to another team. The T.O retention would slip off but the Pitsburgh retention would stick.

Excerpt from the HTW article:

[This is part of the NHL CBA101 Frequently Asked Questions series on ColliganHockey.com. If you have a salary cap or CBA question, please submit it here.]
The 2013 CBA gave teams the flexibility to retain a percentage of salary and cap hits in trades. Calgary Flames President Brian Burke championed this idea for years at GM meetings before it was finally adopted.

There are a few key limitations:
‘Salary’ refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit. This cannot be altered from year to year.
Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction.

Finally, a second retained salary transaction does not modify in any way the original terms and obligations of an initial retained salary transaction.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #12890
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My question is, and the Fan960 guys were curious too, does that salary retention stay if Pittsburgh trades Kessel? Steinberg and Kerr don't seem to think so. So if we did trade for Kessel, it may be a full price.
I assume it does, because when a salary is retained, it needs to be retained for the full life of the contract. If the 2nd team trades that player, it can retain an additional 50% of the remaining amount. That would only make sense if the initial retention stayed in place. A contract can be retained 3 times, each time for 50% of the amount at that time of each trade.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #12891
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fun thing is, if the Flames did trade Kessel later to another team. The T.O retention would slip off but the Pitsburgh retention would stick.
No, Toronto is retaining for the remainder of his contract regardless of where he ends up no matter what.

If Pittsburgh retained, the next team would simply be unable to retain any more salary in the trade to the next team.

So, Pittsburgh retains and trades him to Calgary. Now Toronto and Pittsburgh retain salary/cap while Kessel is with Calgary. If he is traded from Calgary to Edmonton, Toronto and Pittsburgh still retain and Calgary has nothing on the books.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #12892
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
A contract can be retained 3 times, each time for 50% of the amount at that time of each trade.
Twice, and to a maximum amount of 50% of the contract.

A team can have three retained salary trades on their books per year.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #12893
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume it does, because when a salary is retained, it needs to be retained for the full life of the contract. If the 2nd team trades that player, it can retain an additional 50% of the remaining amount. That would only make sense if the initial retention stayed in place. A contract can be retained 3 times, each time for 50% of the amount at that time of each trade.
No no. the grabd total of salary retention can only be up to %50 across the board of the contract, not compounded every trade of up to 75% which is where off the top of my head 50% of %50 of %50 would end up. and retention goes away after the acquired player is traded away twice. So when/if Kessel gets moved the Leafs portion of retention sticks. But if the Flames trade him during the contract, the Leafs retention is done.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #12894
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
No, Toronto is retaining for the remainder of his contract regardless of where he ends up no matter what.

If Pittsburgh retained, the next team would simply be unable to retain any more salary in the trade to the next team.

So, Pittsburgh retains and trades him to Calgary. Now Toronto and Pittsburgh retain salary/cap while Kessel is with Calgary. If he is traded from Calgary to Edmonton, Toronto and Pittsburgh still retain and Calgary has nothing on the books.
NM, I read it incorrectly, you are correct the T.O retention sticks for the duration.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #12895
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and retention goes away after the acquired player is traded away twice. So when/if Kessel gets moved the Leafs portion of retention sticks. But if the Flames trade him during the contract, the Leafs retention is done.
No it doesn't.

"A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction."

You can still trade him without a retained salary transaction as many times as you want and Toronto will always be on the hook.

Toronto to Pittsburgh - retained salary (1.2M of the cap retained by Toronto)
Pittsburgh to Team X - non-retained salary (i.e. Pittsburgh sends Kessel at 6.8M sent to Team X, Toronto retains 1.2M)
Team X to Team Y - retained salary at 1M (i.e. Kessel at 5.8M sent to Team Y, Team X keeps 1M, Toronto keeps 1.2M)
Team Y to Team Z - non-retained salary (Can't since Toronto and Team X), Team Z gets stuck with 5.8, Team X gets stuck with 1M, and Toronto 1.2).

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-25-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #12896
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol ok I'm totally dreaming right now, but could you imagine if we were able to pull off a kessel trade (bennett+Brodie?) And then convince Tavares to sign here, we'd be a contender for sure:

Tkachuk-tavares-kessel
Gaudreau-Monahan-ferland
Jankowski-backlund-frolik

That's a serious top 9.
Even without the dream signing of Tavares we should absolutely push for kessel. Love that Friedman is throwing gas on this
Old 05-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #12897
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just adding Kessel to that Dreadful PP would make a massive difference. Sign Rick Nash to a cheap deal or something to fill out the top six and just use them on the PP and offensive zone starts. We have all the PK-ing we need with Backs-Janko-Bennett-frolik-Lazar-Brouwer (Don't kid yourselves, I know he's useless everywhere else but he was good on the PK)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Kessel
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Janko-Nash

That, IMO is massive upgrade on offense.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #12898
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I love Gaudreau and Monahan, but they make the Sedins look like Deryk Engelland.

I know the era of having tough guys is over, but it's not hard to argue that the Flames have the least grit in their elite forward talent.
I'm not sure it's grit they lack so much as defensive intensity. Brayden Point isn't exactly a bruiser, but he's a demon without the puck. Patrice Bergeron doesn't scare anybody, but there's nobody you'd rather have on the ice protecting a lead.

I don't think it's a good idea to trade Gaudreau or Monahan when they account for so much of the Flames' offence. But I also don't think the Flames will take the next step if their top line remains so one-dimensional and can't be relied on defensively in big games. We'll have to see if a new coach can prod the pair into playing a complete game.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #12899
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Marchessault has only been a "regular" for 2 seasons.
Those numbers include every professional game played by Marchessault in both the NHL and the AHL. The point stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #12900
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Friedman's 30 thoughts is out and it looks like Lamoriello is sweet talking JT.

and Vancouver a stealth destination for Hanifin?
Closed Thread