Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #141
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

People keep talking like other teams are gifting Vegas free cap space.

They have given up Stastny and Schmidt in order to sign Pietrangelo. That's a big loss at C that they have not been able to replace, for an upgrade on D.

Is Pietrangelo that much better than Schmidt to justify the loss of Stastny as well? Maybe, but I don't think other teams are gifting them anything.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #142
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
What are your thoughts about Flames fans in Saskatchewan or Manitoba? What about all of the fans we have, even on these boards, from Europe? With literally no connection to this team except seeing them on TV and liking them? What's wrong with that? That's where a lot of fans come from. Vegas is an exciting team. Some people see them, like what they see and start cheering for them. That's what being a fan is.
And some are bandwagoners. That's certainly the case with the people I know here in Calgary who cheer for the VGK. A few years ago they were cheering for the Canucks or Penguins. In two or three years they'll move on to the Rangers or the Avs. They only like to be associated with winners, so they'll never support a struggling team or one going through a rebuild. They'll drop Vegas like a hot potato once the core ages out and they fall in the standings.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #143
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No, but they could have at least not basically handed the Knights $6.5 million in cap space without getting something out of it.
You mean like a top 6 forward or something while your team needs to start winning?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #144
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

They have given up Stastny and Schmidt in order to sign Pietrangelo. That's a big loss at C that they have not been able to replace, for an upgrade on D.

Is Pietrangelo that much better than Schmidt to justify the loss of Stastny as well? Maybe, but I don't think other teams are gifting them anything.
For a team that was already a little weak at centre this could be a bad trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #145
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don’t think you can worry about the other team. Tre signing Markstrom and Tanev were ideal in that they weaken the opponent as well but it’s not typical. Winnipeg and Vancouver did what they had to do.

That being said I am not sure Vegas is better off now. I think it’s a wash.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #146
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I love the Golden Knights. I'm a Flames fan first and foremost but after not having one for many years, I now have a 2nd favorite team - VGK. Hate on me all you want, but I like VGK because I love Las Vegas. I go to Vegas yearly (well, before Covid, I did). Many people do but I would go 3 or 4 times per year if time and money would allow it. Vegas being my favorite place to visit draws to me also like the hockey team there. Flames #1 but Vegas #2. If that makes me a fake fan, then I guess I'm a fake fan.
I like the GK after the Flames as well. I just think they're a great team from the start. The team has grit and speed and they come at you in continuous waves. It's just too bad they were just shy of winning the Cup in their very first year. If they won it on their first season, I don't think they'd be stocking up like this every year maxing out their cap ever since. They want the cup! I really wish the Flames are built similar players that the GK have.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #147
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No, but they could have at least not basically handed the Knights $6.5 million in cap space without getting something out of it.

So Winnipeg's options were:

Get a second line center for cheap so Vegas could sign Pietrangelo.
Or let someone else get a second line center for cheap so Vegas could sign Pietrangelo

Easy choice. You're never going to get all other GMs to just not trade with a team out of spite. Winnipeg needed to make their team better, and they did. What Vegas did after that should have no bearing on it, because they were going to trade someone somewhere.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #148
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The center depth in Vegas is terrible
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #149
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The center depth in Vegas is terrible
They must be expecting Nicolas Roy or Cody Glass to take big steps or something, because yeah...on paper it doesn't look great right now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #150
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
They must be expecting Nicolas Roy or Cody Glass to take big steps or something, because yeah...on paper it doesn't look great right now.
They are likely banking on Glass or Krebs to develop into a top 6 center.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #151
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
They are likely banking in Glass or Krebs to develop into a top 6 center.
I'm sure they are.

I'm talking about this upcoming season though. Are Roy and Glass ready now? Because that's who their centers are at this point after Karlsson.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure they are.

I'm talking about this upcoming season though. Are Roy and Glass ready now? Because that's who their centers are at this point after Karlsson.
Unless they try Marchessault at C. It's on his resume.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #153
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Unless they try Marchessault at C. It's on his resume.
Yeah I was looking at their depth chart and wondering if Machessault or Tuch had ever played much C.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #154
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure they are.

Chandler Stephenson could plug a hole in the meantime..
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #155
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I'm just guessing, but I would imagine in the event of a +20% drop in revenue that teams will have to eat the losses.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Are you sure? Where did you see that? That is interesting.

That would make the 50/50 split something other than 50/50.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #156
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I'm just guessing, but I would imagine in the event of a +20% drop in revenue that teams will have to eat the losses.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Yes, but they'll make it up over the course of the deal.

The numbers may actually be more dramatic, but the players share of HRR per year will likely be something like:

70% 55 40 40 40 45 - owners the inverse (purely illustrative)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #157
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
The escrow part makes sense. Thanks.

Player salaries are 50% of HRR right?

If the projected cap for 2020-21 is 81.5M, then projected revenue for 2020-21 is 81.5M x 31 x 2 = 5.053B.

What if league revenues drop by more than 20% which is possible if the pandemic gets worse.

If revenues drop 25% for example (3.79B, cap 61.1M) would player salaries actually get reduced or would teams have to shed contracts?
The cap will not go below $81.5 million.

If the players get overpaid, they essentially will go into debt to the owners. As revenues return to normal, the cap increases will be limited and the excess revenue will be used to make the owners whole.

For a player whose career may end in the next couple of years or so, this will be a slight benefit because they won't be around for all of the make-good years. For a player whose career starts in a couple of years, it will be slightly negative because they won't be around for the overpaid years but will be around for the underpaid years.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #158
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

It's pretty much Lehner and Pietrangelo for Schmidt and Stastny. Given that Fleury is still on the team, I would wager that the Knights have made their team worse.

On a team chemistry standpoint, how awkward is the locker room going to be with both Lehner and Fleury fighting for starting minutes? Make no mistake, both of these goalies are starting goalies. But, a middle 6 center that fit in well and a solid #2 defenseman gone and out of the system doesn't seem like Vegas really got any better, even with adding #1D and a #1A goalie.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #159
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Vegas essentially losing Stastny and Schmidt for Pietro, is anyone else getting 2009 Flames, bringing in Bouwmeester while losing Leopold and Cammalleri, vibes? Yes it was a big upgrade on D but the Flames never recovered from the lost offence and were a worse team overall.

Also the current Vegas centre depth is potentially worse than the Flames was in 2009.

Fingers crossed this was a huge mistake and turns Vegas into a bubble team.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #160
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
With Vegas essentially losing Stastny and Schmidt for Pietro, is anyone else getting 2009 Flames, bringing in Bouwmeester while losing Leopold and Cammalleri, vibes? Yes it was a big upgrade on D but the Flames never recovered from the lost offence and were a worse team overall.

Also the current Vegas centre depth is potentially worse than the Flames was in 2009.

Fingers crossed this was a huge mistake and turns Vegas into a bubble team.
Hopefully they’re on the side of the bubble that keeps the oilers out.

Thumbs up to the rest off the post though!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote