Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #6801
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Anaheim. Trade us Lord Silfverberg

Impending UFA, and with every passing game and have less and less to play for. I could see them firing Carlyle and blowing it up. Great two way forward with a wicked wrister. And also a known playoff monster.
I don't think Anaheim will ever blow it up; they have a fair amount of good young talent unfortunately, so when Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Cogliano etc...age out, they'll need a quick re-tool at worst.
Silfverberg is probably still young enough that they will hold onto him for the next iteration of the ducks.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #6802
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I actually think it makes a lot of sense to trade Hanifin in the Summer. The return could be massive (i'd target a top 5 or 10 pick and additional picks or young asset that is expansion draft exempt), you get a lot of cap space.

Maybe this is news to you. The Flames are contending for a Stanley Cup now. As in right now.

Trading a very young stud d-man on a spectacular contract for some magic beans in hopes of unearthing the next Hanafin is a good way for a Treliving to print himself a one way ticket out of town.

Unless your goal is to make the Flames a low end playoff or bubble team every year, at some stage you need to forget about the future and concentrate on the present. That time is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #6803
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What that second line is missing is another sniper/playmaker kind of player. Someone that can make high-end plays as well as score at a decent clip. Someone like Tanguay during his prime, or Juice even.
We may already have that player, Matthew Phillips.

Quote:
He lines up on the far point when on an offensive PP draw and is utilized as a playmaker on the left halfwall.

He is very shifty. Very, very shifty.
He is often the first one to a puck and rightfully so. His acceleration is top notch and it’s hard not to notice his little legs moving as fast as they do. Short powerful strides.
He is also seemingly constantly moving.
https://dobberprospects.com/prospect...t-4-ahl-games/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #6804
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep drooling at the thought of Phillips/Tkachuk combo which leads me to the belief of if we add this year we should try and target a Schenn type center who will stay with the club after this years playoffs.

Next year rolling out something like:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund/Schenn - Phillips
Bennett - Backlund/Schenn - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Ryan
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #6805
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lol.

It was a late first because stastny pushed them into the third round.

No, I don't think they regret it at all.
Laugh all you want. It was a late first because they were a decent team that won two rounds. I'd be interested to know how you can definitely say Stasney got them into the third round as opposed to Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Hellebyuck, Buff, Connor, etc. In fairness, he was really good in game 7 against Nashville. But then he disappeared against Vegas.

But moreover, being happy that you traded a permanent asset for a rental, to win two rounds, isn't the no brainer you think it is. Right now they have no cup, remember being beaten by Vegas way more than they remember beating Nashville, I bet, and they had no pick and no Stastny.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #6806
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess here's the question - what level of PO success is acceptable for posters as a satisfactory result of a high priced trade for a rental like Stone?

I don't mind trading a first for a good asset. I liked the Hamonic deal because I figured the pick wouldn't be a player at his level. But for rental, my philosophy is different.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #6807
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No trades for pure rentals imo. Sure I could see a first being included for Stone, but suggestions that include another high pick and Kylington and Dube are just silly. We need some young good players to fill out the roster. You’re not going to be able to get those as good or as cheap in FA.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #6808
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Laugh all you want. It was a late first because they were a decent team that won two rounds. I'd be interested to know how you can definitely say Stasney got them into the third round as opposed to Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Hellebyuck, Buff, Connor, etc. In fairness, he was really good in game 7 against Nashville. But then he disappeared against Vegas.

But moreover, being happy that you traded a permanent asset for a rental, to win two rounds, isn't the no brainer you think it is. Right now they have no cup, remember being beaten by Vegas way more than they remember beating Nashville, I bet, and they had no pick and no Stastny.
Only one team gets to win the cup every year and id argue it’s the hardest championship in pro sports to earn.. its a crazy crazy grind to get there and when you do you don’t know if you’ll ever get the same chance again. I think the biggest regret during our Iggy/Kipper era was that we didn’t prioritize getting a player that could turn Iggy into a perennial 100 point player; we were too conservative with the depth that we added and when we did try to swing for the fences with the Joikinen trade it hurt us. But you need to give to get and you need deeper runs in the playoffs to figure out what it takes.

Right now with the team we have it makes sense to take a swing; I know it hurts to trade futures but if we can add one more big piece up front I’d argue that it would be a good risk to take if it got us into the deeper rounds of the playoffs.

I do agree you have to be careful, I mean Washington first sold lots of futures to bring in Shattenkirk to lose out in the 2nd round, the following year they spent just a third on a dman in Kempney who was a massive addition to their run and was all that team needed to stabilize and push themselves over the top.

I think we have a competitive team that can go toe to toe with San Jose, Vegas, Winnipeg and Nashville but I do also think we could upgrade the 2nd line to push our team over the top and that there are options out there that make sense to spend a 1st but we will see and I have no qualms in knowing Treliving will make the most prudent decision that will benefit this team for the future of this team as well as the now of this team.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 01-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #6809
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's people's thought on Nolan Patrick? He doesn't seem to have the ceiling he once did, and no, I don't think a one for one with Bennett is the answer as Bennett is a perfect player to keep for the playoffs, but I do wonder if a b-grade prospect could get the guy and benefit him for a change of scenery? Who that would be I have no idea, but I wonder if it's worth a try this off-season if you have to try out some guy on the 4th line next year if the team goes top heavy and has to try out a cheap project.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #6810
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett one for one doesn’t get you Patrick, nor would a b level prospect package. Patrick is a 2nd overall and is their future and not someone they will just jettison for a change of scenery within a nightmare season that has seen them set a record for goalies used, fire their GM and head coach, and under perform across the board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #6811
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
What's people's thought on Nolan Patrick? He doesn't seem to have the ceiling he once did, and no, I don't think a one for one with Bennett is the answer as Bennett is a perfect player to keep for the playoffs, but I do wonder if a b-grade prospect could get the guy and benefit him for a change of scenery? Who that would be I have no idea, but I wonder if it's worth a try this off-season if you have to try out some guy on the 4th line next year if the team goes top heavy and has to try out a cheap project.
Flyers are not trading Patrick for a Mangiapane (B prospect) or even Bennett, they laugh and hang up the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #6812
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This drafts 1st is untouchable.

31st picks are overrated
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #6813
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I don't you can even get Patrick if you offered Valimaki, let alone a b level prospect.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #6814
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go for it.

1st (26-31st range) + B prospect at the deadline for rental Stone

Then trade Brodie (1 year left and Andersson is ready to play top 4) at the draft for a higher 1st round pick (10-20 range)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #6815
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I keep drooling at the thought of Phillips/Tkachuk combo which leads me to the belief of if we add this year we should try and target a Schenn type center who will stay with the club after this years playoffs.

Dube - Jankowski - Ryan
Even subbing Frolik for Phillips until we know what we have in Phillips, that's a ####ing insane lineup, IMO. Probably the only way you could realistically improve this team right now is something like that, and Peters would be able to roll 4 lines easy.

Also, I am going to have a drinking problem if Phillips eventually becomes a full time Flame NHLer. That brewery makes great stuff, take a sip every time his name gets mentioned.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #6816
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

Dube - Jankowski - Ryan
Has Phillips really passed Dube? I would honestly be really disappointed if Dube is a 4th line player next year.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #6817
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

He was their 4th leading scorer, one point behind buff. Look at the contortions here to dismiss the value of adding a ppg two way center.

It's been 15 years since the flames last had that kind of success, let's stop acting like the conference final is no small feat.

Like, seriously, laughing out loud here as you dismiss the value as just being a late first. Lol, he was ok against Nashville I guess, scoring 3 points, 2 goals, including the game winner in getting 7 against the presidents trophy winner.

I guess he was ok....

(LOL).
Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #6818
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am all for trading our 1st since it will be north of 20th anyways.

I want a quick and young player, like when Pittsburgh picked up Carl Hagelin for the 2016 Cup run. Not any Wayne Simmonds players.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #6819
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

I want a quick and young player, like when Pittsburgh picked up Carl Hagelin for the 2016 Cup run. Not any Wayne Simmonds players.
The first is off the table this year for me. The Flames need good players on entry level deals in the next few years to have any level of sustained success. They have had very few picks in the first 2 rounds lately and already gave up a 2nd this year

We had seen trade deadlines in the past (buyers markets) where 1st round picks weren’t on the table for deals (oddly enough that seemed to happen the years the flames were looking to sell )

Hopefully Tre can pull something valuable this year without giving up the 1st, even if it may be a 25-31 pick
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #6820
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

So you want a maybe third line player to then trade a few years later?

Pass
Closed Thread