Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 09:20 AM   #14241
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most Democrats are not onside with the campus protestors. There’s nothing at all unusual or inconsistent about being unhappy about both Trump’s comments and campus radicals occupying universities. This isn’t a ‘pick a lane’ issue for most of the public.

Despite what we may think from the news coverage, Gaza/Palestine isn’t a mainstream political issue. It ranks as the 15th most important issue among 18-29 year old Americans.

https://iop.harvard.edu/youth-poll/4...on-spring-2024
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:22 AM   #14242
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Spring 2024 Harvard Youth Poll surveyed 2,010 young Americans between 18- and 29 years old nationwide, and was conducted between March 14-21, 2024.
Do you think maybe some things have changed since then? And since when is protesting to stop supporting a murderous regime "radical"?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:23 AM   #14243
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
lol no kidding. Boots to heads at peaceful protests with the battle cry of “if you don’t for us the other authoritarian is worse” isn’t exactly winning hearts and minds.

Same thing I said before but when your choices are a fresh turd or a coiled steamy turd why are you shocked when people choose “I’d rather not eat turds at all actually”

A binary choice with two bad choices is no choice at all.
Things are heating up at McGill right now. Don't really see an end in sight
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:31 AM   #14244
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you think maybe some things have changbd since then? And since when is protesting to stop supporting a murderous regime "radical"?
Protesting isn’t radical. Setting up encampments, disrupting campus so other students can’t attend classes, refusing to leave the property you’re occupying when asked by administration, and breaking into buildings and trashing them is. I’d wager public sympathy for the activists has declined even more since they did that stuff.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-02-2024 at 09:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:32 AM   #14245
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default American Politics 3.0 - Back to Brunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Protesting isn’t radical. Setting up encampments, disrupting campus so other students can’t attend classes, refusing to leave the property you’re occupying when asked by administration, and breaking into buildings and trashing them is. I’d wager public sympathy for the protesters has declined even more since they did that stuff.

It’s May. Classes and final exams are over, no?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:36 AM   #14246
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The protests have been going on for weeks. Columbia has had to cancel classes and postpone exams.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:39 AM   #14247
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you think maybe some things have changed since then? And since when is protesting to stop supporting a murderous regime "radical"?
Perhaps the issue is the logical inconsistency.

"Israel and the IDF are committing genocide. Genocide bad!"

Okay, let's let the generous interpretation of genocide stand and say that we should criticize Israel for the callous treatment of Palestinians in Gaza. Fine. Where is the equal criticism of a hateful group in Hamas who has advocated for genocide in their own doctrine? How are they painting these terrorists as "freedom fighters"?

The one-sided narrative of these protests is laughably stupid, and shows absolutely no careful thought about the subject. It's full of those who link this conflict in with things that are only tangentially relevant at best:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/01/u...x_guide_recirc

Quote:
In interviews, the language of many protesters was also distinctive. Students freely salted their explanations with academic terms like intersectionality, colonialism and imperialism, all to make their case that the plight of Palestinians is a result of global power structures that thrive on bias and oppression.

“As an environmentalist, we pride ourselves on viewing the world through intersectional lenses,” said Katie Rueff, a first-year student at Cornell University. “Climate justice is an everyone issue. It affects every dimension of identity, because it’s rooted in the same struggles of imperialism, capitalism — things like that. I think that’s very true of this conflict, of the genocide in Palestine.”
*groan* This reeks of a kid who learned of a new idea for the first time, and then tries to apply it to everything they see. It's lazy intellectualism, and doesn't make for a very good argument.

Fine, do your protests peacefully, without disrupting the ability of other students to carry on with their affairs. When you have to cancel graduation ceremonies, or start taking over administration buildings, that crosses the line from civil disobedience into something else that infringes on the liberties of others who don't share that view. And part of the idea of civil disobedience is accepting that consequences will inevitably come with that disobedience, such as arrests. Go read on what Dr. King had to say on the subject. It's part of the act of civil disruption to be arrested. It's part of the gameplan. You can't cry foul when it happens.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 05-02-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #14248
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
When I went to university, I took classes through the summer one year. Of course, I didn't go to a fancy ivy league school, but I assume they have courses through the summer as well, but I could be wrong. It was definitely slower than the rest of the year though. Mostly people working on their master's and profs working on their research and writing articles.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:03 AM   #14249
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't make me tap the sign

https://twitter.com/user/status/1727887134688706922

See: the latest ADL posts trying to whitewash the Stonewall riot and Birmingham marches as being civil and quiet, which we all know at the time were loud, uncivil and violent, but because we're removed and have the convenience of being able to frame the narrative, are now lionized as the "right thing to do" (which they clearly were) but done in "the right way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #14250
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some Schools do quarters instead of semesters. Portland State, where I finished, and is also experiencing protests and campus closures this week, runs Spring quarter April to mid June, so not even halfway done with the current term.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:09 PM   #14251
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Florida continues to be the one of the dumbest states in the union

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785812567098548461

Tackling the important issues. How anyone with the means to move stays in that state is beyond me. Maybe a decade ago when it was purple-ish and you could justify it but it’s become a backwards backwater full or deeply unserious people. I’d be embarrassed my tax dollars went to literally anything their state politicians have implemented.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 03:22 PM   #14252
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Tackling the important issues. How anyone with the means to move stays in that state is beyond me. Maybe a decade ago when it was purple-ish and you could justify it but it’s become a backwards backwater full or deeply unserious people. I’d be embarrassed my tax dollars went to literally anything their state politicians have implemented.
Well, he was right about trying to get kids off social media. I hate that I have to admit that, but I'm fully supportive of that one.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...a-ban-children

Social media is the Devil (other than CP, Youtube videos I like, and Linked-In if I'm looking to hire or find a new job of course).

Wouldn't mind seeing a national ban for that. And expanded in age range to everyone.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:49 PM   #14253
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, we have at least one CP'er who lives there and has indicated with other posts that they have the means to live elsewhere, but are still there.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:53 PM   #14254
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Well, we have at least one CP'er who lives there and has indicated with other posts that they have the means to live elsewhere, but are still there.
That weather is a helluva drug?

Honestly though with the weather we are going thru right now I would be a lot more tolerant of idiot politics in exchange for some nice weather. We get the worst of both in Alberta right now.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:26 PM   #14255
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Family...it's entirely for family reasons. It was the reason we moved here in the first place too. It's not like we loved the culture here, even when we moved here over a decade ago.

People live places for all sorts of reasons and often it has very little to do with the local politics.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:43 PM   #14256
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Sorry my point was just to crap on Florida. This junk, the book banning silliness, the fights with Disney, it’s not a serious place. Nice beaches though that’s for sure.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:48 PM   #14257
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry my point was just to crap on Florida. This junk, the book banning silliness, the fights with Disney, it’s not a serious place. Nice beaches though that’s for sure.
Crap away! I have lots of gripes about this state overall.

When De Santis did his anti-woke #### with New College, our university decided to rescue some faculty who wanted to land somewhere nice. There's pockets of really good stuff in the state, it's just hard to see at a distance because all you hear about is the crazy.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:04 PM   #14258
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
lol no kidding. Boots to heads at peaceful protests with the battle cry of “if you don’t for us the other authoritarian is worse” isn’t exactly winning hearts and minds.

Same thing I said before but when your choices are a fresh turd or a coiled steamy turd why are you shocked when people choose “I’d rather not eat turds at all actually”

A binary choice with two bad choices is no choice at all.
More like ones a hand grenade with the pin pulled about to explode and send steaming hot shrapnel into everyone. The others an elastic band you snap on your wrist.

There’s honestly no comparison between the two. As Biden said today you are allowed to protest, you are not allowed to do some of the things they are doing. I will also add the federal government is not the ones currently doing anything about the protestors, it’s local officials making those calls. I guarantee you Trump would be trying to use the national guard.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 10:15 PM   #14259
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1786021754411839864
Old 05-02-2024, 10:43 PM   #14260
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ron Desantis is an elite of the World Economic Forum. If you see a bug, he has sent it for you to eat. Peasant. Bow to your elite better, of the World Economic Forum, Ron Desantis.

Am I doing it right?