Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #41
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a big fan of Simon as GG - first because she is competent and second because we should recognize Indigenous people as one of the three Founding Peoples more officially.

Quebec nationalists can go pound sand. Simon will learn to read French (all that’s necessary).
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #42
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The monarchy is one of things that seems stupid - why is our head of state some queen in a different country - but the elimination of it is very difficult to get right and the benefits to doing it are very small.
I’m not sure if you made this argument on purpose but a type of political conservatism is the underlying rationale to keep the GG.

It works pretty well for what we need and the transition would be too difficult/dangerous/expensive for what we get - other than to appease some Internet virgin Canadian republicans.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #43
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
because we should recognize Indigenous people as one of the three Founding Peoples more officially.
Is this phrase widespread? I haven't heard a phrase so nicely bring FN into the fold of building this nation. I wonder if this idea would be accepted by FN groups, as it may be seen as diminishing their own nationhood?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #44
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Is this phrase widespread? I haven't heard a phrase so nicely bring FN into the fold of building this nation. I wonder if this idea would be accepted by FN groups, as it may be seen as diminishing their own nationhood?
It’s fairly common.

The treaties guarantee their nationhood, but that also further confirms their status as Founding Peoples.

No treaties, no Canada.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #45
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post

Why do we need a president or crown?
Most constitutional democracies have a separate head of government and head of state. The former is partisan, engages in political wrangling, and pushes legislation. The latter is non-partisan, carries out ceremonial roles, and defends the constitution. These aren’t archaic distinctions, either. Newer states like Germany (1949), the Czech Republic (1993), and Poland (1997) established the separate roles in their constitutions.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #46
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Virtually all of the most stable democracies in the world are constitutional monarchies. Canada, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, the UK.
Some of the very least stable democracies in the world are also constitutional monarchies (Thailand, Lesotho, Samoa). So I don't think you can really draw a conclusion from your point.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #47
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Some of the very least stable democracies in the world are also constitutional monarchies (Thailand, Lesotho, Samoa). So I don't think you can really draw a conclusion from your point.
Is this post parody? Come on.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #48
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this post parody? Come on.
I wouldn't bother changing, but the argument that constitutional democracies are stable doesn't hold water.

Unless he meant to say the stable constitutional democracies are stable, in which case I would agree with that tautology.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As to the appointment of the GG - Harper did it right and Trudeau did it wrong (the first time).

The best GG is someone kind of scholarly, but not overly so, who enjoys the almost endless ceremonial aspect of the job but is canny enough to get why the institution exists and why it must be used properly.

Paquette really did think she was some kind of god-king - inserting her own takes on policy into speeches, going off script on diplomatic missions etc
gif time

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #50
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Trudeau Sr did away with that in 1982?The GG actually gives the ascent to bills, and not the Crown in London.
Ok, even better then.if it's an entirely symbolic position with no real power, what's the point?
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
toss UCB.
salad?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Ok, even better then.if it's an entirely symbolic position with no real power, what's the point?
I think the point is that you need a head of state. Whether its a GG, a President or a King.

The good part with ours is that it's neither a President nor a King which are the worst options.

If you are of the thought that the head of state should also be the head of government, then you get the United States of Chaotic Democracy.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the point is that you need a head of state. Whether its a GG, a President or a King.

The good part with ours is that it's neither a President nor a King which are the worst options.

If you are of the thought that the head of state should also be the head of government, then you get the United States of Chaotic Democracy.
Isn't it a Queen?

If she is the Queen's representative...........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #54
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Has there been a time when this role has actively blocked any legislation passed it's way? If it's just a rubber stamp position then what is the difference between what america does and what we do, except with one added layer of beaurocracy?

I dont really know much about this stuff, I'm glad to be wrong lol
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Isn't it a Queen?

If she is the Queen's representative...........
Quote:
Has there been a time when this role has actively blocked any legislation passed it's way? If it's just a rubber stamp position then what is the difference between what america does and what we do, except with one added layer of beaurocracy?

Like Peter and others have mentioned our democracy operates with rules AND norms. The norms part being as important as the rules.

I have no love for the monarchy, but the GG is independent of London and that is good enough for me. If she is the symbolic representative of the monarch, so be it. It's a nod to Canada's history as a British territory basically up until 1931.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #56
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Read about the King- Byng affair when the sitting GG refused a request from the PM to dissolve Parliament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King–Byng_affair
Old 07-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #57
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't bother changing, but the argument that constitutional democracies are stable doesn't hold water.

Unless he meant to say the stable constitutional democracies are stable, in which case I would agree with that tautology.
What's that concept... Lindy? Stable democracies are stable because they are stable. It's a tautology for a reason.

You pulled up some "constitutional monarchies" that are constitutional in bare name only.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #58
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's that concept... Lindy? Stable democracies are stable because they are stable. It's a tautology for a reason.

You pulled up some "constitutional monarchies" that are constitutional in bare name only.
Thailand has been a democracy for a long time and had a constitution for a long time, after evolving from a full monarchy (same process as the UK). It did not evolve to a stable form.

Obviously stable democracies (including Canada) are stable and there isn't much of a reason to mess around with things. But Cliff's assertion was that the stability is a function of being a constitutional monarchy. I don't think that's true. There are unstable versions of the same form.

If you decide they don't count as constitutional monarchies because they're unstable then you're redefining the words. Those countries are all monarchies, and they all have constitutions that specify elections.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #59
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thailand has been a democracy for a long time and had a constitution for a long time, after evolving from a full monarchy (same process as the UK). It did not evolve to a stable form.

Obviously stable democracies (including Canada) are stable and there isn't much of a reason to mess around with things. But Cliff's assertion was that the stability is a function of being a constitutional monarchy. I don't think that's true. There are unstable versions of the same form.

If you decide they don't count as constitutional monarchies because they're unstable then you're redefining the words. Those countries are all monarchies, and they all have constitutions that specify elections.
Thailand hasn't been a democracy for even 100 years. I's constitution has been written and rewritten many times - most recently in 2017. It is hardly in the same category as the regimes listed by Cliff.

We can drill down deeper, but many of us "pro" monarchy types have mentioned culture as an important component to a successful democratic regime.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #60
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People here have short memories. The Governor General allowed Stephen Harper to prorogue parliament in late 2008 when he didn't have the confidence of the House and the Liberals and NDP announced that they had reached a coalition agreement that would have had the confidence of the House. I'm not sure how you can square a Governor General being non-partisan when they were directly responsible for overturning the results of a free and fair election less than thirteen years ago.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote