Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #2001
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The culture of the New York Times is oppressively woke.

And identity politics certainly seems to be used as a cudgel whereby anyone who doesnít subscribe to every aspect of it can be driven from public life guilt-free because theyíre a racist/homophobe/transphobic/privileged etc, rather than any movement that actually protects the rights/safety of the populace.

A woke mob can cyber bully a trans woman who opened for Dave Chapelle to death on Twitter, but make Dave Chapelle the bad guy because he told some jokes.

That doesnít seem particularly virtuous to me, but I could be wrong. Surely there are some people do deserve to be cyber bullied to the point of suicide.
Assuming those people are a perfect venn diagram overlap is pretty sweeping.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:27 PM   #2002
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Assuming those people are a perfect venn diagram overlap is pretty sweeping.
Iím not assuming that at all.

I am, however, assuming that the majority of those who cyber bullied that poor woman to death didnít vote for Trump.
__________________
Mom and Dad love you, Rowan - February 15, 2024
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #2003
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Over/under two years before the IRS shuts this down?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1457689514902654980
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #2004
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Lol, grifters gonna grift.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #2005
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player
 
Lanny_McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Over/under two years before the IRS shuts this down?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1457689514902654980
How about getting accredited? Good luck with that.

If anyone needed any more proof what type of person Bari Weiss is, you now have it in a nutshell.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #2006
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Ugh.

I may not agree with a bunch of the gobbledy coming out of universities, but if you think the solution is to start a facility where you give out the answers, you’re as bad or worse as what you claim to be against.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #2007
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Yeaj, that's so stoopid. If you're against Universities, you're against Universities.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #2008
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender
 
SeeGeeWhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Thaddeus Russell has been building Renegade University for a while now and is very open about how impossible it is to achieve accreditation due to requirements around certain physical facilities, numbers of books in libraries, etc. Itís pretty interesting to know that kind of stuff is what props the system up, and makes one wonder how things could improve with legitimate competition in the space.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
If the NHL ever needs an enema, Edmonton is where they'll insert it.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #2009
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

I donít see why adopting the Chicago Statement of Principles is not sufficient to make it clear your university upholds freedom of inquiry and expression as paramount values.

https://carleton.ca/bhum/academic-in...dom-expression
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #2010
peter12
Franchise Player
 
peter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

Lol at Carleton’s College of the Humanities.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #2011
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Much intellect. Very smart.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1481873192914493448
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #2012
peter12
Franchise Player
 
peter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

He wrote a column in the National Post the other day. I tried to read it. Just terrible writing.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #2013
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
He wrote a column in the National Post the other day. I tried to read it. Just terrible writing.
This is why I never got the "intellectual" label with him. He's clearly bright but he's not special and clearly has some major narcissistic traits.

EDIT: I've also read some of his literature and it's all pablum dressed up in bafflegab.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #2014
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback
 
darockwilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
He wrote a column in the National Post the other day. I tried to read it. Just terrible writing.
I read that too. Pretty insufferable.
__________________
Sent from an adult man under a dumpster
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #2015
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

You sent me to the National Post...I can't remember what thread we were discussing opinion columns taking over the news, but this is the front page of the NP now...


Spoiler!

Welcome to our news site, where 7/9 articles are opinion pieces.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #2016
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Exp:
Default

Spoiler!
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #2017
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player
 
Lanny_McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can't remember what thread we were discussing opinion columns taking over the news, but this is the front page of the NP now...
Opinion is the easiest thing for media companies to produce these days. Requires no journalistic standards of reporting and fact checking, requires little legal protections to the company, generates a ton of clicks because of salacious headlines and content, and can be generated in a matter of a couple hours. Opinions are never wrong, because they are just opinions. They are also rarely fact-based and driven by emotional content, which makes them very dangerous in guiding public opinion, but at the same time effective. There truly isn't any "news" media anymore. What we have are media companies who are generating content to draw in viewers and revenue. The idea of providing facts to the population, acting as a check on those in power, speaking truth to power, and being a foundational component to maintaining our democracy, is all but dead. You aren't reading news, you are just consuming media content meant to make you angry or afraid.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #2018
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Opinions are never wrong, because they are just opinions.
Opinions are frequently wrong. Society just allows you to have a wrong opinion.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #2019
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben
 
Maritime Q-Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: God's Country (aka Cape Breton Island)
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Opinions are frequently wrong. Society just allows you to have a wrong opinion.
Hold on. Your opinion is that opinions are frequently wrong. So does that mean that your opinion on opinions being frequently wrong is likely wrong. Meaning that opinions are actually frequently correct. Meaning your opinion is actually correct. Meaning that opinions are frequently wrong... but... but... but...
__________________

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:56 PM   #2020
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You sent me to the National Post...I can't remember what thread we were discussing opinion columns taking over the news, but this is the front page of the NP now...


Spoiler!

Welcome to our news site, where 7/9 articles are opinion pieces.
Anything from Postmedia is pretty much a glorified tabloid IMO.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021