Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #3441
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will there be sufficient access for large trucks/semis off the SW ring road going to/from the new Costco that opens tomorrow? I noticed they didn't put diesel in their gas station but the Easthills one off the SE ring road has diesel so maybe they're thinking access getting in/out will be limited to regular size vehicles
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #3442
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Is there an official "promised" date for the entire Ring Road completion/opening to the public?
It's not a P3 project so there's no hard date set. There's some nonsense going on around Lower Springbank Road with the relocation of a powerline. The "promise" right now is 2024. The new bridge over the river north of COP and the rebuild out to Old Banff Coach Road all that should be done in 2022.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #3443
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
2024 for whole thing
Oct 2021 for SW to Glenmore
Oct 2020 Anderson 146th Ave/Fish Creek Blvd to Glenmore
fyp
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #3444
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's kind of surreal that the stretch through the Tsuut'ina reserve—a bypass around the reservoir that has been argued about for almost half a century—actually exists, and will be open in the next 5-8 weeks. It's going to take me a while for it to 'click' in my mind that that's even an option if I'm going south.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #3445
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I'm curious how much of a drop in volume we'll see on 14th when the Ring Road opens up.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #3446
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't been watching or reading much news the last few weeks since I was out of town. Has it been confirmed that the portion near the reserve will indeed open around October as was reported a few months back?
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #3447
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe they have too. Otherwise the land reverts back to Band control.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #3448
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

As far as I know the two conditions that could result in the land being returned back to the Tsuut'ina were:

1) the Southwest Ring Road project must be complete by May, 2022, and
2) access to/from the reserve must be provided at Glenmore and 37th Street
Old 08-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #3449
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Yeah, I'm curious how much of a drop in volume we'll see on 14th when the Ring Road opens up.
I bet very little. Did traffic on Deerfoot drop when Stoney opened? No. The year after the southeast leg of Stoney was completed, completing the bypass around the east side of the city, traffic dropped on Deerfoot between 16th Ave NE and Peigan Trail, but every other segment had an increase. By last year it was back to being as bad as it ever was before Stoney opened.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #3450
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
It's not a P3 project so there's no hard date set. There's some nonsense going on around Lower Springbank Road with the relocation of a powerline. The "promise" right now is 2024. The new bridge over the river north of COP and the rebuild out to Old Banff Coach Road all that should be done in 2022.
Thank you. Do you have a link to the source of this "promise"?
Also, 2024 is a year. Is a completion month noted anywhere?

As for the P3 reference, to my knowledge AT has hard drop-dead opening dates with each one of the big GC's for the RR sections (EllisDon etc.). Missing those dates carry huge penalties for the GC's. Which makes me think that these completion dates should be public knowledge, no?

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 08-27-2020 at 04:24 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #3451
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you. Do you have a link to the source of this "promise"?
https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...oad-completion
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #3452
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I bet very little. Did traffic on Deerfoot drop when Stoney opened? No. The year after the southeast leg of Stoney was completed, completing the bypass around the east side of the city, traffic dropped on Deerfoot between 16th Ave NE and Peigan Trail, but every other segment had an increase. By last year it was back to being as bad as it ever was before Stoney opened.
There’s only select routes where Stoney is a viable alternative to Deerfoot IMO.

Whereas I don’t think I’ll ever take 14th again after this opens.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #3453
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

It wouldn't surprise me either way if volume dropped on 14th or if it didn't really at all.

Like Weitz, I may never touch 14th again especially on my regular commute, but I'm not commuting downtown so going slightly West isn't too far out of my way. At the same time there's still a pretty significant population that surrounds 14th and may view the ring road as too far out of their way.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #3454
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As for the P3 reference, to my knowledge AT has hard drop-dead opening dates with each one of the big GC's for the RR sections (EllisDon etc.). Missing those dates carry huge penalties for the GC's. Which makes me think that these completion dates should be public knowledge, no?
Any completion dates in the contracts would be conditional on not being pushed back because of the actions (or inactions) of other parties.

In the case of the southern segment of the West Ring Road (Hwy 8 to Old Banch Coach Rd) the "schedule" (which is to say, the date the government told us they wanted the road to be done, not the date that was in any contract) was pushed because of Enmax/Alberta Utilities Commission, and the contract to Safelink Partners (Graham, Carmacks, Vinci) wasn't even signed until a couple months ago. They're not going to bear any responsibility for the full opening being pushed back until 2024, that's not on them.

Last edited by timun; 08-27-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #3455
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
There’s only select routes where Stoney is a viable alternative to Deerfoot IMO.

Whereas I don’t think I’ll ever take 14th again after this opens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
It wouldn't surprise me either way if volume dropped on 14th or if it didn't really at all.

Like Weitz, I may never touch 14th again especially on my regular commute, but I'm not commuting downtown so going slightly West isn't too far out of my way. At the same time there's still a pretty significant population that surrounds 14th and may view the ring road as too far out of their way.
Precisely, Ol' Yeller: Weitz is right, there are only select routes where Stoney is a viable alternative to Deerfoot. That's the point I'm getting at, really.

The east freeway project was 'sold' to the public on the idea it would be a bypass around Calgary itself, and all that truck traffic was supposed to divert around the city and not bog down the commuters on Deerfoot anymore. Which is fine and dandy, except most of the traffic was commuters in the first place, and their houses and places of work didn't change locations, so it wasn't any more convenient for them to go 5-to-10 km out of their way to Stoney.

And so they didn't, they just kept taking Deerfoot, traffic dropped only marginally, and five years later it was back to where it was in the first place. The SWCRR/WCRR projects are going to have the same effect: traffic might dip on 14th and Macleod a bit, but within a few years they'll be as bad as usual.

I live near Glenmore & 37th, and many of my neighbours expect traffic on 14th to drop precipitously, to their benefit. What I mean by that is they're expecting a drop on 14th, and think it will work in their favour because Glenmore/14th is the route they would prefer to take. I tried explaining, "Don't you see that many people like you will think the same thing, and you'll all replace the traffic that diverts from 14th to the ring road, and traffic will soon be as bad as it was to begin with?" They didn't get it. It's like a textbook example of induced demand, and it mostly flew over their heads.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #3456
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree with the "induced demand" theory. Driving from SW (south of Southland) to NW has been atrocious forever. People try avoiding 14th-Glenmore-Crowchild gridlock and choose Deerfoot to get to Northwest and North Central even though it adds 10km to the trip. With new SW communities (Providence, Silverado, Sirocco, Yorkville, Belmont etc.) adding 50,000+ new homes in the next 20-30 years, the SW portion of the RR will provide the much anticipated travel alternative and, in turn, this will actually relieve Deerfoot volumes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #3457
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I dunno. East freeway was sold as a CANAMEX bypass and it continues to function as that. I 100% guarantee SWRR will serve as a better bypass for intra-city trips than Stoney SE as a bypass for Deerfoot, which was never its purpose. Shouldn't be too difficult to prove. The dynamics of the traffic flow are so different than on the east side of the city, there's zero comparisons that can be made.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #3458
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bigger relief on 14th will be if the ####ing construction on the road ever lets up.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #3459
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I live near Glenmore & 37th, and many of my neighbours expect traffic on 14th to drop precipitously, to their benefit. What I mean by that is they're expecting a drop on 14th, and think it will work in their favour because Glenmore/14th is the route they would prefer to take. I tried explaining, "Don't you see that many people like you will think the same thing, and you'll all replace the traffic that diverts from 14th to the ring road, and traffic will soon be as bad as it was to begin with?" They didn't get it. It's like a textbook example of induced demand, and it mostly flew over their heads.
That would really depend on where they're going no? If you're going to Anderson or anywhere south of it, you'd be an idiot to take 14th.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #3460
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Or any road for that matter. Why do i have to go 70km/h for 3km on Stoney because they are cutting grass way out in the ditch.

You should need a permit for slowing the flow of traffic on major roads and a fine for setting it up incorrectly and another fine for not taking it down when you’re finished your work.
You do need a permit. It's called a Traffic Accommodation Strategy.