Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

As far as I'm concerned anything that has been aired officially, including trailers for future episodes, is fair game in an internet thread about that show. If you are too worried about spoilers to the point you are avoiding trailers, then you shouldn't be in that thread. It's the same with movies.

I do understand the issue with cross-over spoilers between threads though. That should be avoided, but is going to happen. It's definitely not a bigger problem than accidentally seeing stuff through another medium though.

Basically, you have about 1 week....2 weeks at most, after an episode is aired before the internet becomes so saturated with the spoiler that your going to find out about it anyways.

For example, I've been avoiding the GoT spoilers, but my own YouTube account has been suggesting videos with spoilers in the title. Thankfully, not too much has leaked, but I've definitely seen a spoiler or two that I did not want to see.

As for officially released stuff, the only way to avoid spoilers with any certainty is to just get caught up yourself. Even if you avoid the internet, eventually you're going to overhear someone else talking about it in real life.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only show I'm really into is TWD and I think something was spoiled for me. I didn't watch the first 2 episodes of the new season.

I go out of my way to avoid spoilers for movies and shows I like. For movies that I'm really anticipating, I don't watch any trailers or read any material. The only time I watch trailers are for movies I might consider watching and I let the trailer sway my opinion.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #43
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The only show I'm really into is TWD and I think something was spoiled for me. I didn't watch the first 2 episodes of the new season.
But that's what I mean with my last post. Are you really into TWD if you haven't bothered to at least watch the premiere yet? After that cliffhanger?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #44
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
But that's what I mean with my last post. Are you really into TWD if you haven't bothered to at least watch the premiere yet? After that cliffhanger?
I cut my cable. So I have to find creative ways to watch.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Darth Vader is Luke's Father? Wow! I never saw that coming!

Despite the fact that 'Vader' is literally German for 'father.'

True Story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Thank Anna Kendrick from Pitch Perfect. But in all truth, Vater is German for father not Vader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Vader is Dutch for Father.
What the hell, guys. I was planning on learning both German and Dutch this Christmas, and now you've ruined it for me. Way to go.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #46
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I should also add:

F anyone who's ever read the GoT books. Smuggest bunch of fart sniffers out there. And yes your smug snickers are capable of spoiling.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #47
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

NSFW fart sniffing and some language:

NSFW!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #48
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I mentioned in the GoT thread, I'm struck by the contrast between how people treat spoilers in books vs TV. Even though the Song of Ice and Fire books were enormous best-sellers before the TV show came out, back in those days it was a considered hugely ######y for a reader to spoil the books for another read. This was the case regardless of how long it was since the book came out. In 2008, no assumptions were made that anyone who was interested in the series had already finished Game of Thrones, even though it had been published 12 years ago by that time. When Dance with Dragons was released, the people who read it right away bit their tongue and did not spoil it for others.

Why the different approaches? You didn't see people who read Dance with Dragons in September 2011 say "well, the book has been out for two months now, so anyone who doesn't know what happened yet obviously doesn't care much anyway, so I'm under no obligation to avoid spoilers."
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
As I mentioned in the GoT thread, I'm struck by the contrast between how people treat spoilers in books vs TV. Even though the Song of Ice and Fire books were enormous best-sellers before the TV show came out, back in those days it was a considered hugely ######y for a reader to spoil the books for another read. This was the case regardless of how long it was since the book came out. In 2008, no assumptions were made that anyone who was interested in the series had already finished Game of Thrones, even though it had been published 12 years ago by that time. When Dance with Dragons was released, the people who read it right away bit their tongue and did not spoil it for others.

Why the different approaches? You didn't see people who read Dance with Dragons in September 2011 say "well, the book has been out for two months now, so anyone who doesn't know what happened yet obviously doesn't care much anyway, so I'm under no obligation to avoid spoilers."
Because...its a book? When you got together in sweater-vests over spiced punch by the fireplace in someone's living room to discuss the book it was naturally presumed that since you attended you had done the required reading?

How does someone spoil a book for someone else? If its on the internet you just dont go in the thread, if you're talking to someone about the book you make 'where you're at' clear from the outset.

Spoiling a book is a whole other ballgame because it isnt splattered all over the internet, or if it is its very localized.

After every episode of Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead the internet is awash with reactions and discussions that are difficult to avoid. I dont think books are in the same category, or if they are then not nearly to the same extent.

And if a Game of Thrones bookreader spoiled your bookreading then suck it up because thats just what those GoT bookreaders do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #50
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't try to avoid spoilers at all, I actively seek them out. I like knowing everything that happens beforehand. It helps my understanding and enjoyment of the series. I pick up on more foreshadowing
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #51
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I've had so many shows ruined by spoilers in different ways. I had to delete all my "interests" on Facebook because it would suggest pages based on them. Had a number of shows ruined by that. Youtube is also a huge one. Sucks to be watching a video about nothing at all related to a particular show, but then it has a video in the suggestions with title, "X character gets murdered," or whatnot.

I tend to always ask first before speaking about a show or movie. I don't care how old it is, really. I don't personally think that makes any difference. Just because something is older, doesn't mean you have watched it. Have we all seen every movie or TV show that has aired or been released? Probably not. Takes two seconds to just say, "have you seen this?" If yes, keep on. If no, shut up. Why is that hard?

With TV, I don't have HBO or the ONdemand stuff, etc, so I wait for GOT to come out on DVD. I've had stuff with the newest season spoiled, because the DVD is not out yet and therefore I haven't had a chance to watch it. I agree that if you are searching out GOT sites or threads, then you are taking a chance at it being spoiled, but some people just can't keep their mouths shut.

The show Undateable a couple weeks after the new Star Wars coming out just injecting a spoiler into the middle of their live episode for no other reason then to be giant dicks or to be edgy.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

The rules change when something becomes pop culture.

Event driven TV is one of the few communal experiences our culture as left. So when something reaches that status like GOT has spooling it ruins that cultural journey that we are on exploring the show.

The book wasn't a cultural experience.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: