Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #1701
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Hasan was a bit too self-referential in a way that wasn't overly funny. It reminded me of when on the Fresh Prince of Belair, Will Smith's character thought he could do stand-up. Anyway, apparently Hasan seems quite popular, so it's probably just me that's not getting his humour.

For Silverman, yeah, I don't know. I always liked her series and some of her other specials, but this felt really bad. Like going for sitcom type punchlines, but with more talk about body parts.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #1702
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought Hasan was a bit too self-referential in a way that wasn't overly funny. It reminded me of when on the Fresh Prince of Belair, Will Smith's character thought he could do stand-up. Anyway, apparently Hasan seems quite popular, so it's probably just me that's not getting his humour.

For Silverman, yeah, I don't know. I always liked her series and some of her other specials, but this felt really bad. Like going for sitcom type punchlines, but with more talk about body parts.
I think that's why I didn't think Hasans special was very special or overly funny. It came across as a TED talk more than a stand up special.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #1703
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not crazy about some of these comedy specials that are in. Seems like Sarah Silverman and Hasan Minhaj are mailing it in a bit.
Silverman has been crap since Day 1 and shes still crap.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #1704
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I think that's why I didn't think Hasans special was very special or overly funny. It came across as a TED talk more than a stand up special.
He describes it more as a one man show than a stand up special. Absent some of the political stuff and in particular his out-of-nowhere endorsement of Ben Affleck as some sort of crusader for racial justice it was pretty entertaining for me. He's super charismatic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #1705
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
F is for Family is absolutely horrible. Only thing of Burr's I remotely dislike.
Really?? Man I find that show hilarious. Love that it takes place in the 70's, love that Frank just flips out all the time, love that his little girl can do no wrong but the two boys are just a couple #### ups. Love David Koechner's character, the sexism, the attitudes. Man I think they captured all that brilliantly. Brings me back to my child hood. Huge fan.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #1706
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Really?? Man I find that show hilarious. Love that it takes place in the 70's, love that Frank just flips out all the time, love that his little girl can do no wrong but the two boys are just a couple #### ups. Love David Koechner's character, the sexism, the attitudes. Man I think they captured all that brilliantly. Brings me back to my child hood. Huge fan.
..The beatings the younger son takes until his older brother shows up and the bullies literally piss their parents in terror of him.

Yeah, maybe you had to have grown up on the 70s to appreciate F is for Family. I'm old enough to remember (vaguely) this animated family show being on the air in the 70s, which sure looks like it was an inspiration for F is for Family.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-08-2017 at 04:10 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #1707
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think you had to grow up in the 70's. I grew up in the 80's/90's but the general idea of kids not wearing helmets, no helicopter parenting, father/mother being a hardass, the man works the woman stays at home. I just think they portray it all accurately and hilariously.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #1708
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He describes it more as a one man show than a stand up special. Absent some of the political stuff and in particular his out-of-nowhere endorsement of Ben Affleck as some sort of crusader for racial justice it was pretty entertaining for me. He's super charismatic.
I very much agree. It's so different from a traditional stand-up special that it's understandable that some don't even see it as one.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #1709
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Watched the documentary "Betting on Zero". The subject matter might appear dry at first (Pershing Square hedge fund shorting Herbalife and alleging it is a pyramid scheme), but it is really well done.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #1710
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the lousy synchronization between Netflix audio and video? For much of what I watch there is a noticable difference. Now it's happening on House of Cards. Anyone else?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #1711
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What's with the lousy synchronization between Netflix audio and video? For much of what I watch there is a noticable difference. Now it's happening on House of Cards. Anyone else?
Do you notice it on all devices??

I have an iPad 2 that sometimes has some sync issues, but my new 4K TV with built-in app (and hardwired connection) seems to be perfect.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #1712
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I can't say I've ever noticed a problem through my roku 3.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #1713
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Do you notice it on all devices??

I have an iPad 2 that sometimes has some sync issues, but my new 4K TV with built-in app (and hardwired connection) seems to be perfect.
It's most noticeable on my iPad and there it's quite irritating. I've been traveling so have been used the iPad mostly. It's less noticable on the tv.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #1714
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've experienced it on my laptop. Most of the time if I just pause for a sec and resume the sync issue stops.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #1715
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I binge watched Animal Farm, really enjoyed it. A US copy of the original Australian movie.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #1716
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
F is for Family is absolutely horrible. Only thing of Burr's I remotely dislike.
I like it. Thought season 2 was much better than the first.

I wish the my favourite standups would stop making shows though. Burr, Louis, Jefferies, all of their standup took a complete nosedive once they started making shows as well
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #1717
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I like it. Thought season 2 was much better than the first.
I agree, it is the type of show that grows on you the more you watch it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #1718
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone watched The Keepers? It's a 7 part documentary akin to Making A Murderer, and it's very well done. It's sad and maddening, but it's somewhat enlightening that the victims and people who cared about the Nun have tried to solve the case. Really one of the best documentaries I've seen.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #1719
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Has anyone watched The Keepers? It's a 7 part documentary akin to Making A Murderer, and it's very well done. It's sad and maddening, but it's somewhat enlightening that the victims and people who cared about the Nun have tried to solve the case. Really one of the best documentaries I've seen.

I watched it, but with some sense of frustration. With the main people involved either dead or at deaths door, there isn't much of a satisfactory resolution to it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #1720
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" from the beginning again. What a brilliant show. There was a lot that I had forgotten, and so much stuff that went over my head almost 25 years ago watching it as a child.