Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #221
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
WOW, how pathetic of an organization is that?
There is almost zero doubt that the Oilers organization continues to do that kind of thing.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #222
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My view on the hit is that it is more than should be allowed in the NHL. But I know I have a more extreme position on that than most. But it comes down for me about whether the hit was more than required to get the puck back - and it was.
But no question that under the current rules, and based on how the NHL has been calling things - that is a 100% legal hit.
I'm as pro big hit and fighting as you can reasonably get but I'm with you on this one. If it were to come out that Tkachuk was getting a game for that hit, I wouldn't find it ridiculous
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #223
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
There is almost zero doubt that the Oilers organization continues to do that kind of thing.

Yeah, looking at how the SN panel react to Chucky's hit on Kassian and how they were all saying they see nothing wrong at how Kassian pounding on Chucky. I wouldn't be surprised, they were all under Katz's payroll.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #224
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy cow, living in Edmonton, I get to hear quite a lot of bs about the Oilers. I had to laugh at my neighbor when he was pissed at Tkachuck for turtling. He really though Kassian was in the right.
Mind boggling.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #225
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm as pro big hit and fighting as you can reasonably get but I'm with you on this one. If it were to come out that Tkachuk was getting a game for that hit, I wouldn't find it ridiculous
I'm curious which hit you guys are talking about?
I thought Tkachuk's first hit could have been a penalty; I was pretty surprised the ref's arm didn't go up, as he was right there to see it.

"The" hit I though was 100% clean; Chucky really only took 1-2 steps then glided into Kassian and hit him shoulder to shoulder, while he was in possession of the puck. Yeah, Kassian had his head down, but at some point the puck carrier has to protect themselves (assuming the NHL intends to maintain hitting as part of the game).
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #226
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm curious which hit you guys are talking about?
I thought Tkachuk's first hit could have been a penalty; I was pretty surprised the ref's arm didn't go up, as he was right there to see it.

"The" hit I though was 100% clean; Chucky really only took 1-2 steps then glided into Kassian and hit him shoulder to shoulder, while he was in possession of the puck. Yeah, Kassian had his head down, but at some point the puck carrier has to protect themselves (assuming the NHL intends to maintain hitting as part of the game).
Tkachuk was above the face off dot when he started into Kassian. It was a clean hit but I think some fans need to watch the replay again.

Tkachuk probably took 7 or 8 strides (McDavid yelled at Kassian to watch out) and the idea he had no chance to defend himself from Kassian’s retaliation isn’t right either. He tried to skate away in fact.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #227
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Tkachuk was above the face off dot when he started into Kassian. It was a clean hit but I think some fans need to watch the replay again.

Tkachuk probably took 7 or 8 strides (McDavid yelled at Kassian to watch out) and the idea he had no chance to defend himself from Kassian’s retaliation isn’t right either. He tried to skate away in fact.
He was skating to where the play was going.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #228
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, fixed. McSorely speared Bullard who was taken off on a stretcher. He later claimed, in his suspension hearing, that he got hit, “saw red” and couldn’t remember anything after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDFkgHCdmS4
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had a buddy call me who's an Oilers fan gloating about Kassian's beat down of MT and how he sent a message and all of the crap.

I asked him two questions

1) How can you hero worship a goon that destroyed Sam Gagner's face?
2) If you were watching Kassian's reaction and assault and he was your son would you be proud of what he did on national TV? Because if you said yes then you would have done a piss poor job of raising your son.

I appreciate him phoning me up as I've been down not feeling really good for a while now. But I didn't want someone gloating about something that was so wrong.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #230
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Tkachuk watching Kassian’s postgame interview

Quoted for laughs.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #231
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, okay, you're right. Took 5-6 strides. He stopped skating before hitting Kassian; not sure if that makes the difference between a charge and a clean hit (legit not sure about the rule).

I didn't say anything about not having a chance to square up though. I agree that he tried to skate away.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #232
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He was skating to where the play was going.
Well yeah Kassian was playing the puck. You can’t say Tkachuk took only 1 or 2 strides though.

Was Tkachuk intending to hit Kassian as soon as he took off? Can’t read minds but I bet he was more interested in Kassian than the puck.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #233
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well yeah Kassian was playing the puck. You can’t say Tkachuk took only 1 or 2 strides though.

Was Tkachuk intending to hit Kassian as soon as he took off? Can’t read minds but I bet he was more interested in Kassian than the puck.
Cool, so what?

It's already been deemed as a legal hit by the league.

He was probably targetting him a good several seconds before.

He took a few strides for sure.

And yet....... still legal.

Maybe the caveman should clue in after the first couple hits and exercise a little more awareness with the puck along the boards.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #234
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Yeah, okay, you're right. Took 5-6 strides. He stopped skating before hitting Kassian; not sure if that makes the difference between a charge and a clean hit (legit not sure about the rule).

I didn't say anything about not having a chance to square up though. I agree that he tried to skate away.
That’s a fair point. He glided at the end and angled his back towards him. He might have killed him otherwise.

Charging is not very consistently enforced it seems but I think you’re right that by not continuing to accelerate, he helped his case for avoiding a penalty.

I loved the game. Charge or not, Kassian lost control and Tkachuk was pulling the strings.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #235
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it two push-offs that count as 1 'stride'? If so, then Chucky only took 2 strides each time, perfectly under the limit of 3.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #236
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's just say those hits were playoffs type of hits. A bit excessive for the regular season perhaps, but perfectly fine for the playoffs.

Ferland had more charges that weren't called vs canucks in 2015
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TBone290 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #237
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Cool, so what?

It's already been deemed as a legal hit by the league.

He was probably targetting him a good several seconds before.

He took a few strides for sure.

And yet....... still legal.

Maybe the caveman should clue in after the first couple hits and exercise a little more awareness with the puck along the boards.
100% agree with this.

This play has been overanalyzed in the last 24 hours it's bordering on madness.

"7-8 strides" ? Yes, Tkachuk skated towards Kassian, that's how you hit someone in the NHL, you skate towards them. He stopped skating however and glided. Kassian was the puck carrier, Tkachuk was near him, then hit him. He didn't come blazing halfway across the rink. He didn't hit him low, high, in the head.

Tkachuk made a perfectly clean hit.

Quote:
That’s a fair point. He glided at the end and angled his back towards him. He might have killed him otherwise.
That's correct.

If the hit was different, the result might've been different..
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #238
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Tkachuk probably took 7 or 8 strides (McDavid yelled at Kassian to watch out)...
When I rewatched the game today I ensured to deliberately count Tkachuk’s strides on his first-period and second-period hits. Both times he takes no more than three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 PM   #239
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone290 View Post
Let's just say those hits were playoffs type of hits. A bit excessive for the regular season perhaps, but perfectly fine for the playoffs.

Ferland had more charges that weren't called vs canucks in 2015
Its a heated rivalry.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #240
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, I meant he skated to where the play was after the hit - he wasn’t skating away from Kassian to avoid a fight.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote