Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #921
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Depends what Bennett can get the Flames. If Bennett and D prospect gets Flames a top 6 winger then you have options. Ferland replaces Bennett, Mangiapane replaces Hathaway. Both are upgrades.

Jonny - Monny - New Winger
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Janko - Mangiapane
Hathaway - Shore - Brouwer
Frolik isn't top6 forward
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #922
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett played for a different team, how many people here would put $1,000 on him reaching 50 pts within the next three seasons?

Why can't fans just admit when they're being fans, and stop getting angry at people who are trying to look at this dispassionately and realistically?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #923
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If Bennett played for a different team, how many people here would put $1,000 on him reaching 50 pts within the next three seasons?

Why can't fans just admit when they're being fans, and stop getting angry at people who are trying to look at this dispassionately and realistically?
You would put $1000 on him NOT reaching 50 pts within the next three seasons?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #924
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I've read a few times that Bennett is our Taylor Hall. Originally this wasn't meant as a compliment but now I sure hope he does become that. Hall needed a new team and a new coach to find his game. I hope all Sam needs is a new coach.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #925
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You would put $1000 on him NOT reaching 50 pts within the next three seasons?
Cliff's 200% given up on Bennett ever becoming anything for any team and has since Sam's 2nd season.
So yes I'm certain that's his sentiment.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #926
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw $1000 - give him the pubes bet deal!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #927
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not putting $1000 on either outcome, but I think you're being a little assumptive in where you are taking this.

You don't have to be a fanboy to see upside in Sam Bennett, he's certainly shown signs. The NHL is littered with high picks or junior scoring stars that can't keep up to the pace of the NHL mentally and fall by the way side.

Bennett however is a top four pick that has a four goal game on his resume. That makes him different than the lot, and someone that would understandably have more faith and support from fans than others.

Careful not to assume your opinion is dispassionate and realistic, nobody gets to claim the center of the fulcrum.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #928
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm not putting $1000 on either outcome, but I think you're being a little assumptive in where you are taking this.

You don't have to be a fanboy to see upside in Sam Bennett, he's certainly shown signs. The NHL is littered with high picks or junior scoring stars that can't keep up to the pace of the NHL mentally and fall by the way side.

Bennett however is a top four pick that has a four goal game on his resume. That makes him different than the lot, and someone that would understandably have more faith and support from fans than others.

Careful not to assume your opinion is dispassionate and realistic, nobody gets to claim the center of the fulcrum.
Bennett would maybe be top 10 though in a redraft. 4 goal game a few years ago was nice but far in the past. Top 4 pick and 4 goal game are bad talking points. What has he done since being 18 year old Sam Bennett?

Reality is that he had a decent rookie season (ala 4 goal game) and has been regressing since. He started last season without a point in nearly 20 games. This was to start his 2 year show me contract. Not a good start to that. He never got anywhere at center and now we will see what he can do for a full season on the wing. He's played over 200 game litmus test and he's struggled.

Reality is that he won't live up to the top 4 hype. It's unfortunate but it happens. Now the question is can he become dependable player on 3rd line or can they include him with a D prospect to improve our top 6. He's on the last year of his show me contract - we wait and see.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #929
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flames or different team I don't see him hitting 50 points in the next 3 seasons.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #930
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Sam Gagner was taken 6th overall and had an 8 point night once.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #931
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

You guys don't have to talk me out of it. I see it differently.

If he had never shown the ability to keep up mentally at this level I'd be seeing the same thing. He has.

I'm not suggesting a four goal game makes a career, what I am suggesting is that the kid has all the skill in the world when he gets in a groove. Will he ever again? Hard to say, but I'd be careful if I was Treliving in shedding the guy.

And Gagner has had a career that comes close to averaging 50 points a season, you're making my point, not hurting it.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #932
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take that $1000 bet. Sam is not going to hit 50, he wasn't hitting that pace on Monahan-Gaudreau's wing, he's not going to hit it anywhere else.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #933
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I would take that $1000 bet. Sam is not going to hit 50, he wasn't hitting that pace on Monahan-Gaudreau's wing, he's not going to hit it anywhere else.
LOL, he didn’t even get an extended look on their wing. That whole line was struggling at the point he was inserted on it and he actually looked good in the minimal minutes he had with them in my opinion, at least not out of place.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #934
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Sam Gagner was taken 6th overall and had an 8 point night once.
He also has 7 seasons of at least 40pts.

If Bennett can become a consistent 20 goal 40pt winger with his physical edge he will be a valuable player. Obviously he was drafted to be our number 1 or 2 centre and I think that ship has sailed a while ago. I could see him being an effective 2nd line winger in his prime that other teams hate playing against.

The real cause for concern is next year if he doesn’t improve. His value will be nothing and he will move on. I wonder if that is a possibility since Peters and Gulutzan have a similar system they have their teams play?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #935
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The biggest issue with Sam Bennett is that he doesn't have any dynamic qualities to his game. He's sort of good at everything, but not spectacular at anything which is problematic because he still tries to play the same way he would in juniors (especially at center).

Playing that way worked for him in Kingston because he was faster, stronger and more skilled then 95% of the league, but what happens when that's flipped around and he no longer has the same advantages? Struggles happen.

I'm not 100% convinced Sam Bennett will ever reach his potential. But even if he doesn't, that's fine. But his lack of awareness and constant penalty trouble makes it very difficult for me to back him up because he's actually hurting the team. If we can use him as a trade chip, personally I'd do it asap because his career is starting mimic that of a Nail Yakupov more so than a Mikael Backlund at this point.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #936
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
LOL, he didn’t even get an extended look on their wing. That whole line was struggling at the point he was inserted on it and he actually looked good in the minimal minutes he had with them in my opinion, at least not out of place.
Well, you say not extended but he played enough with them last season that it was his third highest most common set of players, the other two being him janko-hathaway/jagr. 7.6% if his total icetime last year was spent with them, so let's say 6 games. In those 6 games, he had 2 points- pro rated that puts him on almost an identical pace to the remainder of the season.

Maybe he could develop more chemistry with them, but as far as I can tell (and this was proven by my eye test fwiw) Bennett's play and production is not really affected by his linemates, as he chooses most often not to use them on the ice anyways.

I think 50 points is ludicrously optimistic, to be frank. I would personally be ecstatic to see the guy crest over 40 and cement himself as a useful 3rd line player. Personally I think he's mostly detrimental on the ice right now.

I still think our best course of action is to throw Brodie+Bennett out there and see what the best return we can get for the pair is. They could both flip it around but why should we be the ones gambling on that?

Last edited by Monahammer; 05-23-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #937
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if we were watching the same player. Bennett does have dynamic qualities. He excels at digging pucks out of the corner, a strong first step out of a pivot and rushing the net.

He was taught at the nhl level, to be defensively responsible, don't get caught in the corners, quick first pass, and to be positionally prepared to cover the defense.

The opposite of what he is good at.

When he had a lapse and went back to 'his' game, we ended up with things like the 4 goal game. But that was not his role. If he was given the leniency that Tkachuk has seen, we would have 2 sonic the hedgehog players and not 1.

Tkachuk, and Bennett when he played there, benefits from playing on Backlunds line, where he can play a much more aggressive style.

Take the aggression out of Bennett, and we get last seasons half a Bennett.

He will hit 50 points.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #938
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like most players, for Bennett to hit 50 points he needs consistent PP time. Flames either need to devote a solid year of keeping him in the top 6 with being on one of the PP units or move on. Doing in inbetween is not good for anyone.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #939
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is no doubt this upcoming season will be the one that essentially defines what Bennett will be in this league.

Give him the year to show us. Peters said he will cater to players strengths rather than making every player play the same way. I think Bennett will be put into a position to succeed by getting quality linemates and PP time.

Give him the year to show what he is truly capable of. If he fails next year then we know, but I still think it's too early to write him off as a 3rd liner.

He has high end speed and tenacity and when his confidence is high he plays extremely well. I'm excited for the new opportunity he will get under Peters as I think a lot of players struggled under GG. Every player outside of our top 5 forwards and top pair D went through some extended periods of offensive struggles under him. The players just below these guys in production were Brodie and Bennett - two guys who I think will benefit the most by having a fresh voice leading the locker room.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #940
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope we keep Bennett. I thought his biggest weakness is hockey IQ and that is worst thing to fix. But after looking Hall this year, I'm not sure anymore. Hall is now much smart player than was few years ago.
I think Bennett tries to much to be the difference maker of his line and put him in too much pressure. I would put Bennett with Johnny and Monny say just enjoy play hockey. Play simple, win battle, go empty place and wait pass, shoot. Johnny is so smart that he know how to play with Bennett.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote