Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2022, 01:00 PM   #141
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Incredible.

The guys are top 5 in the country for sports podcasts.

Two weeks in.

Hell yea fellas. Keep up the great work.
Ahem. Number 4 now
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #142
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Mike Soroka was awesome today.
Agreed. Pinder did the interview but interestingly it was Warrener's question about the rehab process any specialized treatments he was getting that really prompted Soroka to dive deep into his recovery and how he was essentially burned out at the end of this season trying to get back. Best part of the hit.

Here is their reaction when Soroka talks about the doctors using a mallet to get a syringe into his hip to extract stem cells:

Pinder is disgusted and Warrener absolutely loves it. Lol.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #143
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boomer's real talk hit me pretty strong today. Good on him for sharing. As someone who has been in a similar headspace the more we talk about stuff like that, the more we realize we're not alone.

/end sentimental post
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #144
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Boomer's real talk hit me pretty strong today. Good on him for sharing. As someone who has been in a similar headspace the more we talk about stuff like that, the more we realize we're not alone.

/end sentimental post
What part of the show?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #145
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What part of the show?
23 minute mark or so. Pretty moving stuff, good on him.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #146
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Ahem. Number 4 now

Oilers now with Bob Stauffer at 47

chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #147
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why would you want to work for a terrible company like Rogers if you could make a go of it yourself? Seems like a no-brainer really.
I just wanted to come back to this and say, it’s probably much harder than it seems. I’ve been checking out the podcast and I generally enjoy these guys, but it can’t be an enormous market. Radio is easy for listeners; you hop in the car and it’s on, you have a few choices and next thing you know a show can garner an audience.

Podcasts and such are different. I’ve got friends who are avid sports fans and there’s zero percent chance they’re making the effort to listen to this. I realize that’s minimal effort required, but those little inconveniences and barriers do actually cut into an audience.

And I do wonder how large the audience is to begin with, particularly in an ongoing basis. You have say 100,000 people that might have tuned in to 960. We all know ratings were/are abysmal because it’s a niche market. From that 100,000 you have to subtract a segment that doesn’t know these guys are doing the podcast, doesn’t care, and won’t make the effort to setup the subscriptions/connect to their car or whatever. I think that’s more sizeable than people might guess. Then you have to factor in that this is a local themed podcast, as opposed to say Spittin Chiclets which will have a broader audience.

Looking at yesterday, the YouTube has about 2700 views. No idea what the podcast is getting, but the numbers aren’t huge. I guess the question is whether that goes up or down over time? Bottom line though, is that the decision to jump from Rogers and that guaranteed paycheque (albeit not as high as you might like), to do this on your own is tough, at least in my uneducated opinion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #148
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must tell you how crappy it must be working at Rogers
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #149
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Looks like a special GameDay Barn Burner on at 2 today with them and the guys from the Oilers show

...or not. Weird. No sign of it now

Last edited by Toonage; 10-29-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #150
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
23 minute mark or so. Pretty moving stuff, good on him.
boomer has such a great media type personality and sense of humour that it really overshadows any of that other stuff. its surprising how harsh great people can be on themselves .. I get where he is coming from about not wanting to subject himself to all the questions after that length of time . it is hard when you feel like you're not living your best life . dealt with times like that myself in the past

boom is the man
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #151
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No idea what the podcast is getting, but the numbers aren’t huge.

Spotify has them in the top 100 (#92, up from #100 earlier in the week) in Canada.

No idea what that translates to in listeners, but 32 Thoughts is in the top 50, for comparison.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:30 AM   #152
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a 2 week old venture I think those initial numbers are strong. I don't download podcasts but subscribed to the Nation on YouTube. But I don't know if they can tell if a sub came directly from their video. Because IDGAF about anything else the nation does really.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:58 AM   #153
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

And right after the interview yesterday with Boomer, the Oilers Nation guys were talking about what a pro Boomer is, then one of them said (paraphrasing) they got a good boost to the pod viewer numbers while he was on. To which one of the other guys laughed and said to say that stuff off the air, not on air. Clearly any Boomer/Pinder/Rhett content on those _____ Nation podcasts is seeing a big boost in viewers to what they'd normally get.

Been loving the pod so far. My only big complaint is that following Flames Nation on YouTube means I'm following The Nation Network in general, which is resulting in a lot of Oilers Nation content showing up in my Home feed. It genuinely bothers me ha-ha, gross..

Last edited by Sainters7; 10-30-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:04 AM   #154
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Oilers nation guys are so hacky. Bunch of janky hacks. Kept on referring to the team as "we", called themselves fans of the team, refused to take any objective stances... Everything is awesome and there is nothing to be critical of.

It was pretty jarring to understand that this type of content up north is fan generated but nice to know that we have the professionals at the helm.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #155
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They really need their own channel.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2022, 01:49 PM   #156
fuffalo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was going to sign up to their betting sponsor, but I don’t know what referral code to put so they get credit for my sign up. Anyone know?
fuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:04 PM   #157
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
The Oilers nation guys are so hacky. Bunch of janky hacks. Kept on referring to the team as "we", called themselves fans of the team, refused to take any objective stances... Everything is awesome and there is nothing to be critical of.

It was pretty jarring to understand that this type of content up north is fan generated but nice to know that we have the professionals at the helm.
everything from Edmonton is lame and hack-y

I've yet to listen to a podcast of theirs that doesn't come across as stupidly homerific
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #158
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
They really need their own channel.
Yup. I hate having to be subscribed to the rest of the Nation Network.

Although pretty telling how Barn Burner is blowing the viewer numbers out of the water compared to everything else on that channel.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #159
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
everything from Edmonton is lame and hack-y

I've yet to listen to a podcast of theirs that doesn't come across as stupidly homerific
Before boomer came on they said that both Skinner and Campbell were #1s and that they have been trying to poke holes in that theory but it is unpokable.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #160
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Bottom line though, is that the decision to jump from Rogers and that guaranteed paycheque (albeit not as high as you might like), to do this on your own is tough, at least in my uneducated opinion.
Their decision to leave Rogers and the guaranteed paycheque was totally separate from the decision to do their own show.

Each of them walked away from the radio business for their own separate reasons.

The stream/podcast came later and its backed by Playmaker Capital (digital sports media and betting) so these guys have some financial backing and what I guess is a decent pay cheque to go along with a quality of life that allows them to sleep in past 03:30 in the morning.

They also get to work with a group that is scaling up their investment in sports media as opposed to Rogers who has spent the last decade finding any way possible to chisel and cut back on anything and everything sports radio related.

For 3 unemployed guys who by all accounts weren't in a rush to go back to work, I think they'll be just fine with their new gig.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post: