Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #121
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He/she said “mildly” so it sounds like nothing controversial and more a matter of taste.
It was the “married/no cooking” reference mentioned above. Now it was Rob Ray, and not the main guys. Rob Ray saying the casual sexism stuff is less surprising.

Like I said, mild. I’m continuing to give the show a try, and it’s mostly good.

The problem for myself that I’m finding, is that I don’t have 75-90 minutes every day to listen to it. I liked the morning show, when you could just tune in while drive and be entertained for 20-30 minutes - and that 20-30 minutes was somewhat random what they are talking about.

Now with the podcast, yeah, I could just listen for the 20-30 min at the beginning everyday, but the problem is that I think the show is at its best when they are into it a bit more, and gotten past “the things they should be talking about”. And I just don’t think I want to listen to all 75-90 minutes everyday anyway.

What I find myself doing these days, is when I’m listening in the car, is to listen to the local fan960 stuff when it’s on, but if fan960 isn’t the local stuff, then turn on Barn Burner.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #122
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am so excited this show is back and the visual is nice to have option. How they discuss sports and sprinkle in other conversation is great. They don't get tied to much in to just playing interviews from players and keeps sports exciting as it doesn't take much to make sports talk dry.
They have a combination that works great as Pinder is such a stats nerd, Boomer knows how to manage the show and Rhett brings the player perspective. They also have there own unique personality which is great and only adds to the show.
I don't even tune into 960 as I find that sports talk becomes dry unless you have the right personalities are on in an interview. Again, great to see them kick off the show again and expect it to only grow what they have for guests etc.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:29 PM   #123
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Went through some of his tweets and seeing a bunch of retweets of the Flames Alumni made me think about McGrattan for some reason. I assume he's still working for the Flames in the same role? Haven't seen or heard from him in a long time now.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #124
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Andrew Walker was on last week. I know he was hit & miss with this city at times but if you are a bit of a fan, and enjoyed Walker, Rhett & Boomer back in the day, I encourage you to watch it on you tube....not listen but watch because the reactions of each other especially Rhett & Boomer on some of Walkers off side jokes are hilarious especially when he talks about how moving to Vancouver was a disaster and how much people hated him. He isn't on for the whole show it's pretty much a segment & bit. Him & Boom also reminisce about their time back in the day when they started the Morning show on the Fan. Walker talks about how Mike Richards just got up and left, no notice just gone. One of Boomer & Walkers early tries was bringing guest hosts in, for example Fleury Fridays with Theoren Fleury......then Walker mentions how it was a good idea but Fleury never ever showed up!
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:06 PM   #125
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been listening since the first episode and have been loving the show. It's definitely gotten stronger as it has gone along.

It's honestly great just to hear their banter again, I've been thoroughly entertained. The show hasn't been perfect or without criticism but I feel like they're really starting to hit their stride. Today's episode was really good, especially the first 15 minutes were hilarious and they got a little Flames talk in.

I feel like this show is going to be great later in the season once the Flames start playing more games and the season starts to play out. They'll be rolling and have a lot more Flames things to talk about.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #126
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do find as much as I want to stay tuned in for the entire episode, it loses me when they get into football, betting or good talk…

I would love more general flames talk.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PuckSlap For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #127
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great story in The Athletic today discussing the sports podcast revolution in Canada that just happens to go into details of how this all got into motion for Molberg.

https://theathletic.com/3719119/2022...adio-podcasts/

Quote:
Dean Molberg saw the logic in moving to podcasting. The married father of three was a long-time host on Sportsnet 960, in Calgary, and had long since grown weary of his 3 a.m. weekday wakeup call. After making his intentions known internally in January, he signed off in June, putting his faith out into the universe that something would materialize.

He said he connected with Playmaker in late summer. On Oct. 1, Molberg, Ryan Pinder and former Flames defenceman Rhett Warrener reached a deal, effectively shifting a morning show from Sportsnet onto a podcast within The Nation Network.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #128
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incredible.

The guys are top 5 in the country for sports podcasts.

Two weeks in.

Hell yea fellas. Keep up the great work.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #129
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Noted this comment from the article and hope they try this out if possible

"As Molberg spoke, he said the furniture was still being moved into the new studio space. Two 65-inch screens had already been installed, where the show — “Barn Burner” — would host watch parties and online streams."
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:01 PM   #130
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Noted this comment from the article and hope they try this out if possible

"As Molberg spoke, he said the furniture was still being moved into the new studio space. Two 65-inch screens had already been installed, where the show — “Barn Burner” — would host watch parties and online streams."
have they been banned from the dome already?
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:03 PM   #131
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Watcher from day 1 and yes it is coming along way better than the first few. I still think they need more guests as right now it has been almost nothing. The only real other hockey guy other than Seravalli was Rob Ray in Buffalo who actually I thought was the best of the bunch. I am not sue if there is a Sportsnet conflict but I have seen some other Nation shows with the hockey guys on them so maybe they just need to work the system.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #132
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe I'm in the minority but I don't listen for the guests unless they're good ones who can banter back like seravelli . guests aren't the issue .. just structuring their run time with more fun segments like ask Rhett
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #133
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
maybe I'm in the minority but I don't listen for the guests unless they're good ones who can banter back like seravelli . guests aren't the issue .. just structuring their run time with more fun segments like ask Rhett
And thinking back to when Seravelli first started chatting with them on the fan, it took him a few features before he "got" their show style and opened up more. I remember the first few he was so rigid and formal like it were a normal sports chat show. He's a great guest these days, offer some worthwhile insight and info, join in on a bit of stupid banter, you can tell they've sparked a real friendship too with him wanting to meet up with the hosts when they cross paths now too.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:15 PM   #134
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Watcher from day 1 and yes it is coming along way better than the first few. I still think they need more guests as right now it has been almost nothing. The only real other hockey guy other than Seravalli was Rob Ray in Buffalo who actually I thought was the best of the bunch. I am not sue if there is a Sportsnet conflict but I have seen some other Nation shows with the hockey guys on them so maybe they just need to work the system.
Imo, that will come as they get established. I suspect they will hook up with local talent often and then extend outwards. It’s definitely going to be a process..
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #135
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep I'd start with names that they're already familiar with and have worked/played with in the past under the Flaming C (and also aren't tied to Sportsnet)
Old 10-27-2022, 06:01 PM   #136
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Soroka was awesome today.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 06:07 AM   #137
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

My feeling towards this situation has finally led me to feel that radio is in fact dying.

Podcasts have been around for quite some time but now that there is a well established business case and a low barrier to entry (well established start up formula), the top talent will go into business for themselves. This will continue to happen in droves.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #138
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would you want to work for a terrible company like Rogers if you could make a go of it yourself? Seems like a no-brainer really.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #139
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
have they been banned from the dome already?
Last spring when Boomer & Pinder would do Instagram live after a game people went nuts. I think a stream of them talking about the game as it goes would be a huge hit. Might be more fun to listen to that than to Singh & DeBrusk on a Saturday night
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #140
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
And this is where I disagree. As a morning show it was as much about entertainment as it was sports. Warrener’s dog, Pinder’s twins, Boomer’s cooking, Pinder’s backpack, Warrener’s stories, Boomer’s radio career all mixed in with Flames talk sports stories and guests. They are still not to where they once were but they’re also redefining the show and trying to find their way. Deep down I’m waiting for them to go from Barn Burner to Bridge Burner and delve right into the horror stories from Rogers radio.
This is a fair point. I never listened to them on the radio before so I don't have that kind of connection or expectation
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote