Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #461
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Maybe if the Calgary Police budget would prioritize check-stops and drunk driving instead of million dollar mobile command units and half a million armored vehicles they could combat the problem more effectively.

(still salty about the 12 year old one being "heavily used" )

There's more information behind that decision that that you're just not privy to, so maybe dial back the salt and let the people who are in charge of making those decisions make them
Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #462
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
There's more information behind that decision that that you're just not privy to, so maybe dial back the salt and let the people who are in charge of making those decisions make them
You don’t get that luxury with public money.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #463
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You don’t get that luxury with public money.
That’s ridiculous. There are numerous govt departments who have expenditures and operations that the public is not privy to.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #464
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
That’s ridiculous. There are numerous govt departments who have expenditures and operations that the public is not privy to.
They have professional oversight. Generally elected.

They also have procurement rules.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #465
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
They have professional oversight. Generally elected.

They also have procurement rules.
As I said, many departments and operations expenditures are not available to the public.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #466
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I'd say that it's a priority for them. Apparently the CPS is the only force in Canada that runs them four times a week and more during Stampede/Christmas/New Years.

And at 500 calls last year, we are probably getting good value out of the armored truck. Although the old one looks cooler
Would love to see a run down of those calls.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #467
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Would love to see a run down of those calls.
Having 'under-utilized' SWAT gear is something that should be celebrated. At the same time, I'm also pleased to know that the City is erring on the side of over-prepared/staying current.

There are certainly issues with over-militarization of police, but at the end of the day, police officers are real human beings with real families at home - I'm okay if it costs a few more bucks to ensure they have the best chances possible of going home at the end of the day. Obviously it all needs to be within reason, but this doesn't sound particularly crazy.

Are you also mad when you go 5 years without having to file an insurance claim? Think of the money you've wasted on your premiums!!!!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #468
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Having 'under-utilized' SWAT gear is something that should be celebrated. At the same time, I'm also pleased to know that the City is erring on the side of over-prepared/staying current.

There are certainly issues with over-militarization of police, but at the end of the day, police officers are real human beings with real families at home - I'm okay if it costs a few more bucks to ensure they have the best chances possible of going home at the end of the day!
What if increased police militarization lead to no decrease in crime, no increase in officer safety and a decrease in public trust of police forces in general? One mad max truck is not going to do much either way. But you can see people already rolling their eyes.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #469
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The checkstop bus is used approximately once a week and only when available resources allow. It does pick up over holidays or events but otherwise generally operates as noted.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #470
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a crappy appeal to authority response. If there's more information that makes the need for the equipment required, the CPS should do a better job of getting that information out. Alleviate concerns from the tax-paying public that their money isn't being wasted on unnecessary shiny new toys. Although transparency and the CPS have never gotten along.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #471
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What a crappy appeal to authority response. If there's more information that makes the need for the equipment required, the CPS should do a better job of getting that information out. Alleviate concerns from the tax-paying public that their money isn't being wasted on unnecessary shiny new toys. Although transparency and the CPS have never gotten along.

You're just plain wrong. There's plenty of feel good acquisitions, like the hawcs helicopter program which came about from an unfortunate incident, and those can be perfectly public and reasonable. To be frank, you don't even know a fraction of the CPS operations and reach, locally and even internationally, so to assert that you need to be counting their pennies because you're a tax payer because you want to count the black cars on the road is really just being obtuse. Suffice to say, the new vehicle was a very sound purchase. Whats next, you going after the horses?

Maybe you should focus your rage at the Fire department who continues to build 8-15 million dollar buildings to house 4-8 guys to play pickle ball and wash their cars for 12 hours instead of the guys out in the cars actually doing work all day.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #472
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Suffice to say, the new vehicle was a very sound purchase.
What don't the rest of us know that makes that new vehicle a very sound purchase? What tangible facts do you have to contribute to the discussion that puts the accusations leveled to rest? What are we missing?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #473
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how any of these cases won't get thoroughly defeated in court by defense lawyers leading to major revisions to the law. A very poorly thought out law that will end up leading to a lot of wasted money.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #474
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think the difference is, outside of driving, drinking is bad for you individually. Smoking is not just bad for you, but those around you. No one has ever gotten second hand drunk.
The effects of second-hand smoke have been vastly exaggerated, with the only link to increased cancer rates being found in people who shared a home with a heavy smoker for 30+ years. Vaping has even less impact on non-smokers, and yet it's just as maligned. Does anyone really think if studies found no significant health risk from second-hand exposure to vaping, it would become socially acceptable?

Health advocates push the empirically dubious risks of exposure to second-hand smoke because their goal is to stop all people from smoking, period. Given the serious health consequences of drinking, they'll do the same with alcohol.

From yesterday's Guardian:

How secondhand drinking ruins lives: 'Every family has been touched by this'
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #475
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're just plain wrong. There's plenty of feel good acquisitions, like the hawcs helicopter program which came about from an unfortunate incident, and those can be perfectly public and reasonable. To be frank, you don't even know a fraction of the CPS operations and reach, locally and even internationally, so to assert that you need to be counting their pennies because you're a tax payer because you want to count the black cars on the road is really just being obtuse. Suffice to say, the new vehicle was a very sound purchase. Whats next, you going after the horses?
How can I be wrong when my intent is having the CPS better communicate? Especially when your argument is that I don't understand. Cool, we agree I don't understand because the CPS has done a poor job trying to explain and rationalize their budget spending.

Read what I wrote. Then read it two more times. Did I say that the equipment wasn't needed? Go ahead and reread it once more. Because I didn't. I said that it's on them if people don't believe their purchases have been justified, that the police should do a better job at communicating why the purchases are justified. Not just the "It's needed end of discussion" type crap you're spewing. If it's so obviously needed, you won't have a hard time explaining and providing facts. Should take less effort than being an arrogant twat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #476
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you start questioning the police budget is there really any difference between you and a criminal?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #477
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe you should focus your rage at the Fire department who continues to build 8-15 million dollar buildings to house 4-8 guys to play pickle ball and wash their cars for 12 hours instead of the guys out in the cars actually doing work all day.
I guess we found the cop (which is fine, don’t be mad).

But, as for your fire dept review.... it’s just plain wrong. And THAT statement is accurate.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #478
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
As I said, many departments and operations expenditures are not available to the public.
Not directly to the public, no. That’s not what I said. They have a responsibility with public money that is different than private companies. What part of this are you missing?
Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #479
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If you start questioning the police budget is there really any difference between you and a criminal?
You're basically a Terrorist and potentially even a Satanist.

A Satanist Terrorist.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #480
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The effects of second-hand smoke have been vastly exaggerated, with the only link to increased cancer rates being found in people who shared a home with a heavy smoker for 30+ years. Vaping has even less impact on non-smokers, and yet it's just as maligned. Does anyone really think if studies found no significant health risk from second-hand exposure to vaping, it would become socially acceptable?

Health advocates push the empirically dubious risks of exposure to second-hand smoke because their goal is to stop all people from smoking, period. Given the serious health consequences of drinking, they'll do the same with alcohol.

From yesterday's Guardian:

How secondhand drinking ruins lives: 'Every family has been touched by this'
I won't bother debating medically, I'll concede the study because that's not my only concern. As a non-smoker with sensitive breathing who went into some of those really smoke heavy bars, my eyes swelled up, I coughed, I smelled the smoke until I couldn't smell anything. I still have issues with people smoking outside near the doors (against bylaws! ) so there's nothing you can say to convince me that smoking doesn't have an affect on me. Unlike someone drinking a beer from a coffee mug where, as long as they don't get belligerent drunk, I likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference.