Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2021, 08:17 PM   #2001
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just wanted to be post #2000...
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #2002
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
A swing and a miss.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #2003
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To quote Alexander Daigle, "no one remembers number 2" Mr post 2001
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #2004
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #2005
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The other problem is Parayko only has one year left on his current deal, and then he's a 29 year old UFA Dman who will be getting either a massive extension that won't be a bargain, or he'll be gone down the road.
I’m going on the assumption that the Flames would make the deal looking to sign Parayko to a big extension. That they would be targeting him as a core piece going forward.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #2006
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
I like the assets that Carolina has as well, I posted on here before I read something out of Carolina writer proposing something around Necas and Teravainen, that would be a really good base of a deal.

If we could get either Teravainen or Necas for Tkachuk it wouldn’t be terrible. Both would be spectacular.

We get more term and cheaper AVV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #2007
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If we could get either Teravainen or Necas for Tkachuk it wouldn’t be terrible. Both would be spectacular.

We get more term and cheaper AVV.

Maybe we have to send a draft pick back as well to sweeten it from our side, who knows

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Teravainen
Mangiapane-Monahan-Necas
Coleman-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Pitlick-Lewis

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Andersson
Zadarov-Mackey/Kylington/Stone

Markstrom

That’s a tight line up, I would probably want to move Monahan for Defense assets but would be tempted to hold onto him to try to improve his value

Last edited by Sofa GM; 08-15-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #2008
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe we have to send a draft pick back as well to sweeten it from our side, who knows

Mangiapane-Monahan-Necas
Coleman-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Pitlick-Lewis

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Andersson

Markstrom

That’s a tight line up, I would probably want to move Monahan for Defense assets but would be tempted to hold onto him to try to improve his value

I don't see you adding both Teravainen and Necas for Tkachuk and a draft pick. It would make the Canes considerably worse. I personally think that Teravainen has one of the best value contracts in the league for 3 more years. If Carolina is set on trading those two, I would think Mangiapane and a prospect would need to be added from the Flames side. I could be undervaluing our players, but I really don't see Tkachuk offsetting the loss of those two players, for a team that is contending now.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #2009
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If.....IF.....Tkachuk's end goal is to end up with the Blues, how much of a secret is that going to be?

If teams suspect that is where he wants to go, and know he can just go ahead and do that in two years time, how much will they be willing to give up to get two seasons of Tkachuk?

If other teams know this, won't St. Louis know this too? Pretty sure his dad will know Matt's intentions.

How much will the Blues be willing to give up to get Matt two years early if they know full well he's theirs in the summer of 2023? My guess is not very much.

If.....IF....Matt intends on going to the Blues when he hits free agency, the Flames are pretty much screwed given the inside track the Blues most surely have through Keith.
Two Stanley Cups will be handed out in that time frame. Hundreds of trades, signings, and other transactions will occur. Tkachuk himself is going to play 160 plus games. Billions in revenue will be generated.

Two years is a long time. Even if Tkachuk has his eye there he and we have no idea what's going to happen between now and then.

Tkachuk has plenty of value. Possibly to St Louis, certainly to the Flames, and to many teams across the league. Even if was guaranteed to be gone after two years (which is false) its still two full years.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #2010
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember with Carolina that Dundon doesn't seem to want to pay big money. They've only got one player making over 6 million (Aho) and he's a center. Would he really want to pay Tkachuk and the qualify him at 9 million?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:20 PM   #2011
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tkachuk is a great player but not 9+ million great IMO, which is the issue.

This, coupled with Johnny's contract coming up, has essentially made this summer a hugely pivotal one for the Flames. Either you think we're close enough and keep both guys, deal with contracts when it comes up, and really try to find the missing pieces for a deep run, or you look at a wholesale rebuild, trade both and accrue as many lottery tickets coming up on a few big drafts.

With Sutter here, a rebuild is obviously not in the cards but how to go about building a contender without sacrificing too much the future?

My ideal would be to trade futures for Eichel, trade Tkachuk for essentially "now," and trade Monahan for futures.

To St. Louis: Tkachuk
To Flames: Tarasenko (I really think this guy can turn it around), Parayko, Thomas/Kyrou, 2022 1st

To Buffalo: Flames 2022 1st, Flames 2023 1st, Pelletier, Dube
To Flames: Eichel (10% retained)

To Ottawa/Columbus: Monahan, 3rd rounder, 4th rounder
To Flames: 2023 1st, 2022 2nd

Total out: Tkachuk, Monahan, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 3rd, 4th
In: Eichel, Tarasenko, Parayko, Thomas/Kyrou, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2nd

Sure, it may be some homerism in there but I don't think it's completely out of touch? Except we'd have cap issues lol... if we could land Parayko, I wonder if that could allow us to further move Andersson for futures still?

Gaudreau - Eichel - Tarasenko
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Coleman
Lucic - Backlund - Kyrou
Lewis/Pitlick/Ritchie/Froese/Zary/Gawdin etc

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Parayko
Kylington - Mackey

Markstrom
Darth
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FusionX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 10:27 PM   #2012
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Strongly disagree. If we ended up with Eichel, Parayko, and Kyrou for those pieces that's a homerun. A franchise C, a top 6 RS RW with 1st line upside and a top 4 D man. Sign me up.
While I would definitely like Eichel, and have been a proponent of Kyrou, it's a ridiculous overpayment. You're giving up 6 premium assets (when you take the Tkachuk return and add it to the Eichel trade) for a middle 6 winger with potential, 1 year of a defenseman and Eichel.

If you had to go this route, trade 2022 & 2023 1sts to Buffalo with Andersson and Zary/Pelletier. Then trade Tkachuk to St. Louis for 2022 1st, Neighbours, Parayko and Kyrou.

Out:
Tkachuk
Andersson
Zary/Pelletier
2 1st round picks

In:
Eichel
Kyrou
Parayko
Neighbours
1st round pick
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #2013
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with all of the Parayko talk? Has there been a rumor that he is on the block?

The Flames seem pretty full up with talent on the blue line, so I'm not sure what kind of an upgrade this is over a signed Andersson.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:12 AM   #2014
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post
Tkachuk is a great player but not 9+ million great IMO, which is the issue.

This, coupled with Johnny's contract coming up, has essentially made this summer a hugely pivotal one for the Flames. Either you think we're close enough and keep both guys, deal with contracts when it comes up, and really try to find the missing pieces for a deep run, or you look at a wholesale rebuild, trade both and accrue as many lottery tickets coming up on a few big drafts.

With Sutter here, a rebuild is obviously not in the cards but how to go about building a contender without sacrificing too much the future?

My ideal would be to trade futures for Eichel, trade Tkachuk for essentially "now," and trade Monahan for futures.

To St. Louis: Tkachuk
To Flames: Tarasenko (I really think this guy can turn it around), Parayko, Thomas/Kyrou, 2022 1st

To Buffalo: Flames 2022 1st, Flames 2023 1st, Pelletier, Dube
To Flames: Eichel (10% retained)

To Ottawa/Columbus: Monahan, 3rd rounder, 4th rounder
To Flames: 2023 1st, 2022 2nd

Total out: Tkachuk, Monahan, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 3rd, 4th
In: Eichel, Tarasenko, Parayko, Thomas/Kyrou, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2nd

Sure, it may be some homerism in there but I don't think it's completely out of touch? Except we'd have cap issues lol... if we could land Parayko, I wonder if that could allow us to further move Andersson for futures still?

Gaudreau - Eichel - Tarasenko
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Coleman
Lucic - Backlund - Kyrou
Lewis/Pitlick/Ritchie/Froese/Zary/Gawdin etc

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Parayko
Kylington - Mackey

Markstrom
Darth
What happened to zadorov?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2021, 04:14 AM   #2015
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mangiapane-Monahan-Necas
Coleman-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Pitlick-Lewis

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Andersson

Markstrom

I doubt Carolina would trade both if those guys for Tkachuk and a first round pick.

I see no reason why Carolina would even trade those guys. They both bring exceptional value to their contracts, something Carolina values greatly.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #2016
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Buchnevich is a Blue now and signed to a reasonable deal. I'd expect him as part of any package from St.Louis IF (BIG IF) we're looking to move Tkachuk.
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #2017
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think people are only suggesting St Louis because they like patterns. Keith Tkachuk played in St. Louis and therefore so should Matthew
* Star players are increasingly influencing where they end up playing, and any team trading for Tkachuk is going take his preferences and his contract status into account.

* Tkachuk would have a greater marketing value in St. Louis than other destinations.

* The Blues are in win now mode.

* The Blues have a big hole at LW.

* The Blues were strongly interested in Landeskog (a LW), and willing to pay big money to secure him.

* The Blues have several pieces that would be attractive to the Flames in young forwards and top-pairing D.

Now, the speculation about Tkachuk going to the Senators doesn’t make any sense as a hockey fit for either team.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #2018
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
* Star players are increasingly influencing where they end up playing, and any team trading for Tkachuk is going take his preferences and his contract status into account.

* Tkachuk would have a greater marketing value in St. Louis than other destinations.

* The Blues are in win now mode.

* The Blues have a big hole at LW.

* The Blues were strongly interested in Landeskog (a LW), and willing to pay big money to secure him.

* The Blues have several pieces that would be attractive to the Flames in young forwards and top-pairing D.

Now, the speculation about Tkachuk going to the Senators doesn’t make any sense as a hockey fit for either team.

Disagree with your point they have several pieces that would be attractive. Which pieces are those? 28 year old pending UFA Parayko? Broken Tarasenko? Meh Thomas? Kyrou who is the same age as Tkachuk?

At least the Sens have the pieces to make a deal work and the logic could be that getting Matthew is how they convince Brady to sign long term. Everything I have read out of Ottawa is they want an 8 year deal with Brady who seems to want to see if the Sens are willing to spend to build a winner.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #2019
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Disagree with your point they have several pieces that would be attractive. Which pieces are those? 28 year old pending UFA Parayko? Broken Tarasenko? Meh Thomas? Kyrou who is the same age as Tkachuk?
Kyrou who scored two less goals and eight less points than Tkachuk, while playing on the Blues' third line? Kyrou also didn't give up on his team and sulk because some flipped a puck at him. I'd happily take a package with Kyrou in the mix for Matthew Tkachuk. I think Tkachuk is a disruptive force, but hurts his team as much as he helps his team. He doesn't want to be here, so move him for the plethora of assets you can get. I think we've seen the best that Matthew Tkachuk can play, and it isn't nearly as great as some would build it up to be. He's more mouth than he is performer.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #2020
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Kyrou who scored two less goals and eight less points than Tkachuk, while playing on the Blues' third line? Kyrou also didn't give up on his team and sulk because some flipped a puck at him. I'd happily take a package with Kyrou in the mix for Matthew Tkachuk. I think Tkachuk is a disruptive force, but hurts his team as much as he helps his team. He doesn't want to be here, so move him for the plethora of assets you can get. I think we've seen the best that Matthew Tkachuk can play, and it isn't nearly as great as some would build it up to be. He's more mouth than he is performer.
I just don't think their assets are that attractive, I think it would have to be,

Parayko, Kyrou, Thomas, 1st for Tkachuk

I think St. Louis hangs up the phone.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote