Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
He was producing when on the top line and inexplicably Sutter put him in the dog house who knows what happened but he had 0 points after that.

Hard to say what we have with him until we see a full seasons body of work.

He has talent, but does he have the drive to show that talent with consistency for a full season.
Not sure about inexplicably.

He became a no show and lost his perch. Last one into a puck battle, and often on the wrong side of the puck.

Just disappeared.

You do that and you lose your role.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #22
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

He and Kylington are the question marks.

Things could go south for either one of them. If they turn it around, they'll be important players in the overall scheme of things.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:28 PM   #23
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I think about the Flames line-up he's the guy I always forget to include.
So hopefully this year he reaches the point where he's not easy to forget.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #24
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Anyone thinks he's a guy who could end up on waivers? I think a few teams might grab him given the low cost...
Old 09-08-2023, 02:37 PM   #25
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I do not think Ruzicka was particularly more lazy than others players, I think the issue was that in the first ~10 games he was really good - winning board battles, fore checking very well etc. Later on he played at decent effort level but clearly not as much as he showed initially and I bet Sutter wanted to play his mind games to bring out Ruzickas maximum effort
Naitix is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 03:35 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is an absolute wildcard. The talent and size is there, let's see if he can put it together .
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #27
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Needs a lot more, and consistent, GAF.
Cycling76er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #28
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This kid led the team in scoring for over a calendar month during the only stint he received in a top nine role with 17 points in 19 games. This came directly after he sat in the pressbox for an entire month to begin the year. There is going to be up's and down's with these young kids and patience will need to be shown. Throwing him in and out of the lineup in a role his skillset is simply not suited for is not a way to properly develop him at this level. Hell, Darryl didn't even dress this kid in the final game of the year with nothing to play for.. That had to be incredibly frustrating and discouraging for him.

He may or may not have the chops to stick long term at this level, but his play and production warranted him getting a significantly longer look than he was given, and his skillset+size combo is not something you want to see flourish away from your organization.
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 04:07 PM   #29
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My expectations for him are low. I hope he does well, but I haven't seen anything to warrant high expectations. Consistency is the game in the show...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #30
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
This kid led the team in scoring for over a calendar month during the only stint he received in a top nine role with 17 points in 19 games.
The last 19 games he played he had no points at all.

I'm pulling for Ruzicka, I've always liked what I've seen of him, but as Cycling76er and others put it the "GAF" factor needs to be consistently high if he is to succeed.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #31
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This kid led the team in scoring for over a calendar month during the only stint he received in a top nine role with 17 points in 19 games. This came directly after he sat in the pressbox for an entire month to begin the year. There is going to be up's and down's with these young kids and patience will need to be shown. Throwing him in and out of the lineup in a role his skillset is simply not suited for is not a way to properly develop him at this level. Hell, Darryl didn't even dress this kid in the final game of the year with nothing to play for.. That had to be incredibly frustrating and discouraging for him.

He may or may not have the chops to stick long term at this level, but his play and production warranted him getting a significantly longer look than he was given, and his skillset+size combo is not something you want to see flourish away from your organization.
Yup he was great for 6 weeks - had 2 games where the line wasn't producing, and Sutter stapled him back to the 4th line again.

No leash at all, and needed to get Lucic back into the top 9 because he was so much better.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 04:29 PM   #32
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The last 19 games he played he had no points at all.

I'm pulling for Ruzicka, I've always liked what I've seen of him, but as Cycling76er and others put it the "GAF" factor needs to be consistently high if he is to succeed.
I understand that but that involved him bouncing in and out of the lineup playing under 9:00 minutes a night in a role that he has never been tasked to play and that his skillset is not equipped for alongside Milan Lucic and Trevor Lewis. We saw Sean Monahan suffer immensely with the very same placement the year prior and they are very similar players in terms of engagement and playstyle. He was put in a position to fail down the stretch, and that's exactly what happened. The fourth line stunk.
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:25 PM   #33
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If he can be consistent enough in his effort to get into the lineup 75 times barring injury, then it's a good season for him. Getting that consistent effort over long time frames has always been the challenge with Ruzicka.

Be consistent and stay in the lineup and the other stuff works itself out
Old 09-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #34
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

30 NHL games played and 2-3 threads on Calgarypuck before he's moved.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:12 PM   #35
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that but that involved him bouncing in and out of the lineup playing under 9:00 minutes a night in a role that he has never been tasked to play and that his skillset is not equipped for alongside Milan Lucic and Trevor Lewis. We saw Sean Monahan suffer immensely with the very same placement the year prior and they are very similar players in terms of engagement and playstyle. He was put in a position to fail down the stretch, and that's exactly what happened. The fourth line stunk.
Forget the "bouncing in and out of the lineup": he played 35 straight games (Nov 8 vs. the Devils to January 18 vs. the Avalanche), and did SFA in the last 11 of those 35, averaging 10:23 a night.

Also don't forget that he was still given powerplay time: in those 10:23 per night he averaged 1:15 on the PP (incl. none in the games on January 8th vs. the Blackhawks and January 10th vs. the Blues; in the other nine games he averaged 1:44 of PP time per night). Fourth-liners Brett Ritchie/Milan Lucic/Trevor Lewis did not get that powerplay time, and I'd hardly call that "being put in a position to fail".

Generally I still thought he played decently, but he wasn't helping to finish plays and was eventually playing sheltered minutes with almost entirely O-zone starts. His ice time was given to Walker Duehr and Jakob Pelletier instead. Such is life.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 07:17 PM   #36
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Slovakian Joe Colborne.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 07:58 PM   #37
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's shown plenty of skill, but needs to find consistency.He's also still only 24 years old. Sometimes it takes a little longer for big guys to put it all together.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:02 PM   #38
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hard work, get stronger, get faster and get consistent
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #39
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Be good to see him start with Backlund and Coleman to get him to work on his 2nd and 3rd efforts from the 2 guys that live on that stuff.

Probably the best center to put with Huberdeau. Could he play RW on that line?
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mindtravellee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #40
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Without full explanation I just believe in Adam Ruzicka, I feel it in my bones that he can take that next step this season and one of the main reasons why I think dealing Lindholm is the right move.

Ruzicka has all the tools and just needs a coach to show him some faith. I believe Huska is that coach and will provide him with the proper tool box.

I think a line of Huberdeau-Ruzicka-Dube would be phenomenal
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good