Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #941
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Ozzy is legit, but the rest border on child abuse...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #942
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Ozzy Wiesblatt is a calgary boy, and his brothers who are all elite hockey players are named Orca, Ocean and Oasiz (potential 2022 draft). Some funky names
An Orca is a whale. Imagine litrerally naming your kid Whale.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #943
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Diamond in the rough: Dmitri Ovchinnikov.

His NHLe-1 was nothing, but his NHLe-0 is up to 29 (HockeyProspecting.com). If we have a 3rd round pick come draft time, I'd take him. As is, I'll hope he's there at 96th. Future Considerations has him at 172nd.

This is a really good find. The big thing here is that he's actually a late birthday too, so his D-1 production should be normalized.

He's born August 19, 2002, which means he was 17 his entire draft season.

Compare that to a guy like Connor Zary who was 10 days from being in the 2019 draft and is 11 months older (September 25 2001).

Zary had NHLe of 26 and 37, Ovchinnikov has NHLe of 5 and 29.

Or fellow russian Amirov who is born October 2nd 2001, is 10 1/2 months older, and is seen as a 1st rounder. His NHLe was 24 in the same league for his 17 year old season, and 32 for his 18 year old season. Ovchinnikov's production in the NHL is actually more impressive than Amirov.

If he was born a month later and is available in the 2021 draft, he's probably looked at as a 1st rounder or at least 2nd rounder based on production. Honestly based on production as young draft eligible players I'd be fine looking at both Pashin and Ovchinnikov who both had less impressive draft -1 seasons when they were 16 for the full year, but great draft years as 17 year olds.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-29-2020 at 02:12 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #944
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Saw Pronman had his lost today and Lundell who I have seen going 8-10 in some mocks is ranked 18 right before the Calgary pick. Would be nice if he slipped to us at 19
That's why I want us to keep our pick. Surely we can get a faller in this deep draft.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #945
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Fun police: Orcas aren’t whales.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #946
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other guys who had great seasons production wise who are younger for this draft year (Born April 2002 or later), that aren't ranked as first rounders.

Player - NHLe
Pashin - 30
Ovchinnikov - 29
Connor McClennon - 29 (also a fun name for pissing off Oiler fans)
Chromiak - 29
Mysak - 28
Novak - 26
Tullio - 26

Villeneuve - 19 (As a dman, assistant captain that also led the whole team in scoring.)

These guys all had top two round production in their draft year, but were also very young and could be even better in their draft +1. If the Flames can pick up extra 2nd or 3rd rounders then these are the guys I want them to be looking at.

Last year a guy that looked like this was Nick Robertson for the leafs who had a NHLe of 25, but was the youngest guy in the draft and would have been a 2021 top 10 pick likely if he was born two weeks later. Here are other names that fit the criteria from last years draft (born after April 2001, NHLe of 25 or higher).

Player - DY NHLES - D+1 NHLES

Kaliyev - 37 - 42
Tracey - 30 - 29
Pelletier - 29 - 31 (was trending even better befor his injury.
Suzuki - 28 - 32
Tomasino - 26 - 40
Robertson - 25 - 46
Beaucage - 25 - 24
Poulin - 24 - 36
Simoneau - 22 - 31 (undrafted, available in his d+! now)
Beckman - 22 - 42 (Beckman had a lower NHLe in his DY but notable and similar type of age/projection)

All of the names on this list (outside of maybe Beaucage) took a step in D+1 and are regarded as top prospects. Honestly think that looking for younger guys in their draft year as a value pick could become a similar market inefficiency just like europeans, and undersized players has been in the past.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-29-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #947
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is a really good find. The big thing here is that he's actually a late birthday too, so his D-1 production should be normalized.

He's born August 19, 2002, which means he was 17 his entire draft season.

Compare that to a guy like Connor Zary who was 10 days from being in the 2019 draft and is 11 months older (September 25 2001).

Zary had NHLe of 26 and 37, Ovchinnikov has NHLe of 5 and 29.

Or fellow russian Amirov who is born October 2nd 2001, is 10 1/2 months older, and is seen as a 1st rounder. His NHLe was 24 in the same league for his 17 year old season, and 32 for his 18 year old season. Ovchinnikov's production in the NHL is actually more impressive than Amirov.

If he was born a month later and is available in the 2021 draft, he's probably looked at as a 1st rounder or at least 2nd rounder based on production. Honestly based on production as young draft eligible players I'd be fine looking at both Pashin and Ovchinnikov who both had less impressive draft -1 seasons when they were 16 for the full year, but great draft years as 17 year olds.

Flames should jump in on him, hopefully the 96th spot isn't too late - or hopefully Edmonton coughs up the pick and we can take him with their 3rd rounder.

The more I look at this kid (thanks to HockeyProspecting), the more I really, really want this kid picked. I'm not even against taking him at 49. Previously I was looking at Jean-Luc Foudy at that pick (...pretty much exactly where he's ranked by some lists), but Ovchinnikov looks like the home-run swing that may be worth taking.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #948
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take almost any skilled Russian forward. Thatd be a find like Little Z or Nikolaev (Should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder, we got him at 88).

And yeah Amirov at 19. Then get Ovchinnikov when you can.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #949
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'll take almost any skilled Russian forward. Thatd be a find like Little Z or Nikolaev (Should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder, we got him at 88).

And yeah Amirov at 19. Then get Ovchinnikov when you can.

If we walked out with Amirov and Ovchinnikov at 19 and 49 (or "50" as the NHL is calling it despite there not being a "49"), I'd be pretty okay with it. Talent above all else.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #950
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
List of the best names in the draft:
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...-draft-2750280

20 | Åke Stakkestad
19 | Maximilian Glötzl
18 | Winter Wallace
17 | David Jesus
16 | Ben VanWaterschoot
15 | Zayde Wisdom
14 | Mavrik Bourque
13 | Shakir Mukhamadullin
12 | Leo Lööf and Linus Lööf
11 | Loris Rafanomezantsoa
10 | Boston Bird
09 | Ozzy Wiesblatt
08 | Roman Faith
07 | Bear Hughes
06 | Jérémie Biakabutuka
05 | Gunnarwolfe Fontaine
04 | Ivan Ivan
03 | Sequoia Swan
02 | Daemon Hunt
01 | Primo Self
Terrible list, Hunt at #2 is a joke. Also grouping Linus and Leo is a poor decision because Linus has a way better name.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #951
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Orca is technically a dolphin.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #952
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I feel like a kid already getting beat up for his name is only going to get hit harder when he drops that info.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #953
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Other guys who had great seasons production wise who are younger for this draft year (Born April 2002 or later), that aren't ranked as first rounders.

2020 Draft Eligibles
Player - NHLe
Pashin - 30
Ovchinnikov - 29
Chromiak - 29
Mysak - 28
Novak - 26
Tullio - 26

Villeneuve - 19 (As a dman, assistant captain that also led the whole team in scoring.)

These guys all had top two round production in their draft year, but were also very young and could be even better in their draft +1. If the Flames can pick up extra 2nd or 3rd rounders then these are the guys I want them to be looking at.

Last year a guy that looked like this was Nick Robertson for the leafs who had a NHLe of 25, but was the youngest guy in the draft and would have been a 2021 top 10 pick likely if he was born two weeks later. Here are other names that fit the criteria from last years draft (born after April 2001, NHLe of 25 or higher).

2019 Draftees
Player - DY NHLES - D+1 NHLES

Kaliyev - 37 - 42
Tracey - 30 - 29
Pelletier - 29 - 31 (was trending even better befor his injury.
Suzuki - 28 - 32
Tomasino - 26 - 40
Robertson - 25 - 46
Beaucage - 25 - 24
Poulin - 24 - 36
Simoneau - 22 - 31 (undrafted, available in his d+! now)
Beckman - 22 - 42 (Beckman had a lower NHLe in his DY but notable and similar type of age/projection)

All of the names on this list (outside of maybe Beaucage) took a step in D+1 and are regarded as top prospects. Honestly think that looking for younger guys in their draft year as a value pick could become a similar market inefficiency just like europeans, and undersized players has been in the past.
Just to try to validate this hypothesis I decided to go back even further, and look at the 2015 NHL Draft (last draft regarded as deep as this one) to see what this criteria shows for players from that draft.

Looking at players born after April 1st 1997, with an NHLe of 25 or higher in their draft season.

2015 Draftees
Player - DY NHLe

Marner - 49
Barzal - 32
Gurianov - 31
Merkley - 31
Beauvillier - 30
Harkins - 28
Chlapik - 25

Not a bad list of names. It's actually pretty rare for guys born after April 1st to show this type of production in their DY, and when looking at the 2019 and 2015 draft these type of guys usually go in round 1.

Think it shows how deep this draft is when there are guys with this type of production are projected to be available as 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-29-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #954
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope David Jesus gets drafted by one of the teams Miroslav Satan played for so there can be a day when a couple of friends go to a game together wearing their Satan and Jesus jerseys.

This would also work if he got drafted by one of the rivals of one of the teams Satan played for. Flames Jesus and Oilers Satan, for example.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #955
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope Dylan Holloway slips down to Calgary at #19.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #956
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it irrational to be concerned that Holloway is an NCAA guy who could walk, even though he's from Bragg Creek?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #957
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I hope David Jesus gets drafted by one of the teams Miroslav Satan played for so there can be a day when a couple of friends go to a game together wearing their Satan and Jesus jerseys.

This would also work if he got drafted by one of the rivals of one of the teams Satan played for. Flames Jesus and Oilers Satan, for example.
Seeing Jesus on a Devils jersey would be great too
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #958
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Player - NHLe
Pashin - 30
Ovchinnikov - 29
Chromiak - 29
Mysak - 28

Novak - 26
Tullio - 26

Good post, just wanted to Highlight Chromiak and Mysak. These are two players I have been watching intently since beginning of the year, simply because scouts seem to have such wildly differing opinions. I have seen both as mid firsts in mocks and both not selected in the first two rounds in mocks (though less often with Mysak.)

As you rightly pointed out later, I think this speaks highly to the depth of the draft. There are some VERY interesting players that will be available late in round 2. This isn't even considering some guys who had killer numbers in way lesser league, and so don't show up on the NHLe, i.e.Carter Savoie, Matt Benning, Sam Colangelo, Brisson.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #959
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Orca is technically a dolphin.
hot take: dolphins are also whales
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #960
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Colangelo and Brisson are players to watch-both have incredible numbers. Brisson will be taken in the latter half of the first round. The second and third round are looking very good this year.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good