Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #61
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why no specific mention of Pat Steinberg in his sign off though? I mean how long did they work together. Is it a case of him being one of the 'kids', perhaps? The only thing I found odd.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #62
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like I am in the minority, but I didn’t care for Kerr to put it mildly, but I am curious what other endeavours he is pursuing.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #63
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Eric Francis/Bruce dowbiggin show starting September 7

Book it as an e5

I was thinking it is kind of interesting how Peter Maher, roger millions and rob Kerr all have seemingly left the fan with little to no advance warning. Or did I just miss it?

Last edited by Northendzone; 08-04-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #64
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
The Eric Francis/Bruce dowbiggin show starting September 7

Book it as an e5

I was thinking it is kind of interesting how Peter Maher, roger millions and rob Kerr all have seemingly left the fan with little to no advance warning. Or did I just miss it?
That's a broadcasting thing. Especially in radio.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #65
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Kerr is a pro's pro even if he could be a tad irritating at times.

Very good interviewer (something that has become rare in all forms of broadcasting the last decade +) and a staunch advocate for amateur sport across all spectrums.

Huge loss for local sports broadcasting, but wish him well in all future endeavors.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #66
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad Kerr is gone. I was not a fan at all of his work on the radio or play by play
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #67
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wasn't perfect but was the only personality I liked listening to on the Fan. What a second rate outfit.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #68
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Journalism really does not pay much money. It's not at all uncommon for people to leave the field in their 40s, once they've done a job they love for a while but need to start making better money to support a family.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #69
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

I was thinking it is kind of interesting how Peter Maher, roger millions and rob Kerr all have seemingly left the fan with little to no advance warning.
They all had one thing in common, they were long time employee's with large salaries
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #70
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congratulations on a fantastic broadcasting career in this fine city, Rob. You kept me company all through high school, college and a string of Terrible landscaping jobs.

A nicer guy you cannot find. I used to love listening to the post game shows on Saturday nights when Rob, Pete and Mike Rogers would rap about the out of town scoreboard.

Gah, Kerr's gone, Rogers is gone, Maher is gone. Joe Sports, RIP. All the central broadcasting figures of 2004 have moved on.

I don't like that. But I thank all of them for the memories.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #71
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve only known of Rob since he was doing PBP, but listened to him regularly the last few years I finally decided to tune into 960 for hockey talk with a lot of other national programs almost 99% Blue Jay focused now.

This is a huge loss for us listeners, but super happy for him to be making the jump to something new that he’s very excited and passionate about.

Sportsnet has a huge hole to fill.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #72
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect he will be involved in sports at the grassroots level
Could be part of the Olympic bid, or amateur hockey or something else but that’s where his passion is
He always treated me really well. Held everyone to a high bar but that was a good thing
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #73
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be part of the Olympic bid, or amateur hockey or something else but that’s where his passion is
He always treated me really well. Held everyone to a high bar but that was a good thing
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #74
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

All the best Rob!!! I often disagreed with you, but you were definitely one of the main reasons I listened to the Fan in the afternoon.

I hope that your new endeavour gives you even more time on those great endeavours you so valiantly championed: Big brothers and sisters, kids sport and most recently superheros (hockey for kids with Autism).

Whether or not people loved the talking goalie or your play by play or your schtick in general, you are an absolute gem in the community and epitomize what it means to be a Calgarian.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #75
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That is where my thoughts went. When he was interviewing the new Calgary bid CEO, he mentioned he had a lot of familiarity with her as they sat on the same amateur sports board.

I really enjoyed him and think it is a huge loss for the station, but where he is going will benefit greatly.

Last edited by Robbob; 08-04-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #76
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup, I will always remember Rob for his tireless work during the 04 run and his dedication to the fans. How long would he stay on air taking calls after games? The fan 960 didn't even have an online stream at the time, I remember Rob going to bat and telling management to get one.
Good luck Rob, you deserve all the success in the world.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #77
NilssonistheReal14
Draft Pick

Listen closely to his interview.

1) He is leaving broadcasting
2) This was 100% his choice.
3) He is leaving for a new opportunity out of broadcasting.

This has nothing to do with being forced out, or leaving on bad terms or anything. It is absolutely as simple as he was offered a new opportunity.

Rob was the only person on the Fan I ever wanted to listen to doing interviews. He has used his position in such a positive way in this community. His tireless hours of community service. Of doing what he could for this community, and trying to make sure every kid in this city could participate in sport.

There is absolutely no way we should be using his decision to leave broadcasting, and his sign-off, as an opportunity to blast the guy. Have some respect for the man, and what he has done! At the end of the day, he got the opportunity to live a dream for 15 years that any one of us would love to have done (and, I am sure some here think can do better). But, at the end of the day, he did this for 15 years, so he must have done something right. And, this city is a better place for having had him do this job for 15 years.
NilssonistheReal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NilssonistheReal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #78
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilssonistheReal14 View Post
This has nothing to do with being forced out, or leaving on bad terms or anything. It is absolutely as simple as he was offered a new opportunity.
Or his severance package depends on abiding by a non-disclosure agreement. That happens a lot.

I agree that Rob Kerr has made Calgary a better place, and he was good at his job. But I could see the writing on the wall for his radio career the minute Will Nault began getting significant air time. Terrestrial broadcast radio isn't exactly a growth industry nowadays. Rogers were grooming the cheap young guy to take over for the expensive old guy, because they are desperate to cut costs wherever possible.

Last edited by Jay Random; 08-04-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #79
NilssonistheReal14
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Or his severance package depends on abiding by a non-disclosure agreement. That happens a lot.

I agree that Rob Kerr has made Calgary a better place, and he was good at his job. But I could see the writing on the wall for his radio career the minute Will Nault began getting significant air time. Terrestrial broadcast radio isn't exactly a growth industry nowadays. Rogers were grooming the cheap young guy to take over for the expensive old guy, because they are desperate to cut costs wherever possible.
I am actually not surmising. I am stating, this had nothing to do with being forced out.
NilssonistheReal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NilssonistheReal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #80
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to confirm the info that was posted earlier in this thread about Kerr taking a job with the Hitmen...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1025888464028479488