Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #41
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It's called an opinion. I know those are not your favourite thing unless it shares yours or the masses but that really should be a positive of this board, differing opinions instead of jumping on anyone who does not agree with the in crowd here.
If we ever had a CP bingo card, someone with a silly opinion getting upset the moment it's questioned and talking about "the masses" or "the in-crowd" or groupthink, instead of just owning what was just a silly opinion, would definitely be a square.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually have no opinion on Huska.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If we ever had a CP bingo card, someone with a silly opinion getting upset the moment it's questioned and talking about "the masses" or "the in-crowd" or groupthink, instead of just owning what was just a silly opinion, would definitely be a square.
See, this is a bait post. It has nothing to do with the topic or thread and it is these types of posts that continue to bring the board down. These types of posts clearly go against the rules but a blind eye will be turned on it because of who I was debating with before. Now more posters will pile on off topic to try and bait me into an infraction while suffering no consequences of their own. Rinse and repeat. I don't like Huska, I don't think he is a good coach, I can say that and should not be attacked by a poster, use an example that shows why it was ridiculous that the poster said what he said, then be accused of attacking that poster when I was the one attacked, by a moderator who disagrees with everything I say. This is the stuff that drags the board down. Anyhow, I am done because this is beyond off topic.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #44
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ha, as someone who in very last page of this thread who owned their own silly opinion by saying it was wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with people calling out group think or the other items you said if they think its occurring.

To pretend it doesn't exist is silly in my view and hurts the value of the discussion.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest issue with the Tkachuk deal is the fact it is tough to pin a long term deal down for him right now. He was likely heading towards a long term deal at the 9-10M range before the flat cap and before he started having a horrible campaign.

The Flames do not need to trade him this summer but will be limited to teams he is willing to sign with if they wait to move him next summer as he could easily get himself to UFA status.

I just have a feeling a trade request is going to come from Tkachuk and if that happens I really struggle to see how this team avoids the full blown tear down.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #46
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having an opinion doesn't mean that it shouldn't be challenged. It isn't a blank check to state uninformed views without the expectation of challenge and debate.
And for me I think when folks are calling on someone to lose their job, absent any real insight or info, that should be challenged.
No one has said you can't have an opinion.

I don't see what is unreasonable about that.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #47
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Having an opinion doesn't mean that it shouldn't be challenged. It isn't a blank check to state uninformed views without the expectation of challenge and debate.
And for me I think when folks are calling on someone to lose their job, absent any real insight or info, that should be challenged.
No one has said you can't have an opinion.

I don't see what is unreasonable about that.
agreed. Saying someone has to be an expert employed by the NHL to have an opinion is a bit much though.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He isn't. Don't be ridiculous.
How about Monahan though? Seriously given his output over the past few seasons and the amount of salary he's on the books for over the next two seasons would it not be something to think about? His trade value is probably another albatross contract coming the other way so not much so it's a chance to make a clean break. If by chance the Kraken take him at least the team frees up over $6 million to chase a UFA or make an offer to an RFA.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How about Monahan though? Seriously given his output over the past few seasons and the amount of salary he's on the books for over the next two seasons would it not be something to think about? His trade value is probably another albatross contract coming the other way so not much so it's a chance to make a clean break. If by chance the Kraken take him at least the team frees up over $6 million to chase a UFA or make an offer to an RFA.
I am not sure Monahan's value is that low. I think you can get a return for him.
I think it would be better to hold on to him if his value is low right now and hope he rebounds. We have the protection slots to cover our main pieces so I don't see why we would let him go for nothing. I think at worst he is still a guy that gets you 20+ goals.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #50
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Ha, as someone who in very last page of this thread who owned their own silly opinion by saying it was wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with people calling out group think or the other items you said if they think its occurring.

To pretend it doesn't exist is silly in my view and hurts the value of the discussion.
People can say whatever they like. I'm still gonna dab the bingo card.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #51
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not sure Monahan's value is that low. I think you can get a return for him.
I think it would be better to hold on to him if his value is low right now and hope he rebounds. We have the protection slots to cover our main pieces so I don't see why we would let him go for nothing. I think at worst he is still a guy that gets you 20+ goals.
This. There's always a decent market for potential top 6 C's.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #52
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
All one needs to do and look at what his father Keith did. Dude was cut throat when it came to chasing the money. Multiple hold outs. Lots of overpaid seasons. Don't think he ever took a "hometown discount" until his last season with the Blues. One of the highest grossing paid players of all time. There will be no discount coming for the Flames, I am sure of it.
This. So much this but I don't think he is part of the solution. He's selfish and a ghost when it gets hard (playoffs),
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #53
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe the value of our core (19-13-23) will be some how linked to what Benny does with the Panthers?

If Benny does really well, some GMs will certainly think that our core is just not succeeding as a whole but that individually with the correct personnel and in a different environment they will play to their potential.

Wishful thinking!

P.S. I'm with Sutter, you do not play well, I am naming you by your number
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #54
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Holy crap this is hilarious talk.

The Calgary Flames need to qualify someone on our current roster for 9 million.
Bwah ha ha ha ha WOW
That's some powerful cool aid. At the very thought of what #19 is making I laugh.

This team had a GIO cap for a reason and then Tre decided to go over with the Tkachuk signing and you can't tell me it didn't ruffle feathers and divide that locker room.
We've got coach killers, sulky , moaning and crying little head cases and whatever else is causing this team to play like crap under Darryl.

Time to offload and move on.

Find me a player in this league that deserves 9 million and ask him to come play here and we'll see how that turns out.

There's a reason Sidney Crosby signed the deal he did for far far less than he should be making and the #1 reason he did it is because he knows what the dollars and cents do if they are spread around a bit.

This will never happen here. I wish we had an all world talent such as this but I just don't see it.

Beyond the money that needs to be paid out to players on thr Flames this team has way bigger issues than the monies players want to be paid to be in this country club we run here and call a hockey team.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #55
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Holy crap this is hilarious talk.

The Calgary Flames need to qualify someone on our current roster for 9 million.
Bwah ha ha ha ha WOW
That's some powerful cool aid. At the very thought of what #19 is making I laugh.

This team had a GIO cap for a reason and then Tre decided to go over with the Tkachuk signing and you can't tell me it didn't ruffle feathers and divide that locker room.
We've got coach killers, sulky , moaning and crying little head cases and whatever else is causing this team to play like crap under Darryl.

Time to offload and move on.

Find me a player in this league that deserves 9 million and ask him to come play here and we'll see how that turns out.

There's a reason Sidney Crosby signed the deal he did for far far less than he should be making and the #1 reason he did it is because he knows what the dollars and cents do if they are spread around a bit.

This will never happen here. I wish we had an all world talent such as this but I just don't see it.

Beyond the money that needs to be paid out to players on thr Flames this team has way bigger issues than the monies players want to be paid to be in this country club we run here and call a hockey team.
If Crosby signed that contract this year at the same percentage of the cap as when he signed it, he'd be making $11M. And the only reason it's not over $12M is because of the 3 years at the end where the contract goes down to $3M, which is no longer allowed in the NHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #56
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
If Crosby signed that contract this year at the same percentage of the cap as when he signed it, he'd be making $11M. And the only reason it's not over $12M is because of the 3 years at the end where the contract goes down to $3M, which is no longer allowed in the NHL.
Also the main thing for Crosby is he’s the most superstitious player in the league. Everything is ‘87’.

He even said on spitting chiclets he was hoping to be on episode 187.

So maybe it would have been $10.87.... or he might have actually left it on the table cause he’s weird.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #57
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just dont put Tkachuk in the same tier as other players currently in the $9M range.

Regardless of age, I would rather Kucherov, Rantonen, Stone, Ovechkin, Malkin..over Tkachuk.

But when you look at players with expiring deals while still remaining an RFA in the next couple year he's in the top 5 (Point, Dubois, Boeser, to me are all better).

Tough spot to be in.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #58
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no way that Tkachuk is getting a long-term deal over his QO from any team in the league, so if he wants term, he will sign for way less than $9million
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This. There's always a decent market for potential top 6 C's.
I have my doubts Monahan plays centre on his next team. Of the six or seven things an NHL centre is expected to do, he does one of them pretty well, one of them about average, and the others poorly or not at all.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #60
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

There as never a GIO, it was just no player deserved more, until there was. Johnny tied GIO, and the only reason it wasn’t higher was the 6 year term. Monny, same reasoning, only 6 year term. Tkachuk would have really busted it, but he took a short tears with a High QO requirement to take him right to UFA.

It did not divide the locker room. If caps were going to be kept below GIo’s, it was only going to be because the flames had no good players.

You don’t think Stone would have been offered more?

Players aren’t that fixated on their own salaries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post: