Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #2441
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought that tow truck thing only happened on "The League"
Old 09-14-2022, 11:06 AM   #2442
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
How long ago?
I thought that tow drivers don't allow people into their trucks any longer, moreso since covid hit.
AMA towed my broken Jeep home a month ago. My wife and I rode up front with the driver.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrunchBite For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 11:10 AM   #2443
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I've heard you can buy an AMA membership on the spot if you need to call for a battery/tow/flat/etc

Another little known service (AFAIK) is that you can call for help with a flat tire on your bike. I'm not exactly sure how they help (presumably bring a tube and fix it? I bet lots of their drivers don't know how to do that though...), but it could be handy if you actually think of it at the time
Be careful, I believe they've added a huge fee for this now because too many people were not renewing unless they were suddenly stranded.

edit: already discussed

Last edited by jayswin; 09-14-2022 at 11:12 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #2444
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Also, most hotel chains in Canada and US will give 10% off the posted rate to AMA/AAA members. Three night-stay @ $150/night - $45 saving right there.
Now a days with almost everyone using discount services to find cheaper hotel rooms (trivago/hotels.com etc) I don't think you'll come out ahead too often with a simple 10% discount.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #2445
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Now a days with almost everyone using discount services to find cheaper hotel rooms (trivago/hotels.com etc) I don't think you'll come out ahead too often with a simple 10% discount.
Yeah, I've booked many hotels over the years and always try the AMA/AAA discount and I don't think it's ever been the cheapest option. Usually, just signing up for the chain's free points program will get you the same or better discount.

The same is true with rental cars.

I was at Chinook last week and used my AMA card for 10% off at Cookies by George, so that was nice.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #2446
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, I've booked many hotels over the years and always try the AMA/AAA discount and I don't think it's ever been the cheapest option. Usually, just signing up for the chain's free points program will get you the same or better discount.....
Depends, for sure. But when you get your cheapest rate on Expedia or Booking and you call the hotel directly asking them to beat it, this is what they usually ask: do you have an AMA card? Worked for me quite a few times.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #2447
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

But what if you don't have an AMA card? the hotel won't match?

I do the same thing to get Hotel deals. I can't say whether or not they have asked if i have an AMA card; but if they did, not having one hasnt stopped me from getting the match
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #2448
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
There's been a few times I've had too many drinks out and called AMA to tow my car home and I've ridden up front with the driver.
That is crafty.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:58 PM   #2449
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Almost hit a cyclist on my commute this morning who had the brilliant idea of passing me on the right while I was about to turn. Just the worst people they are.
However The Worst people are those that pass a cyclist and immediately turn in front of them. Besides that move is considered illegal.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #2450
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
However The Worst people are those that pass a cyclist and immediately turn in front of them. Besides that move is considered illegal.
Of course! Everyone knows that as soon as you over-take a cyclist and they're right behind you this is the appropriate team to immediately do a 'Brake Check.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #2451
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
But what if you don't have an AMA card? the hotel won't match?

I do the same thing to get Hotel deals. I can't say whether or not they have asked if i have an AMA card; but if they did, not having one hasnt stopped me from getting the match
I would assume it's just easier for the clerk to match without some requirement of a manager override/sign off or something?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #2452
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post

That’s not true.

The worst people are cyclists on roads. I mean is there ANY driver out there that doesn’t sigh or internally think “oh what the #### is this now” every time you’re behind a cyclist?

#### all cyclists on roads. I’m huge a proponent of bike lanes.

Roads for cars.
Bikes lanes for bikes.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #2453
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
That’s not true.

The worst people are cyclists on roads. I mean is there ANY driver out there that doesn’t sigh or internally think “oh what the #### is this now” every time you’re behind a cyclist?

Roads for cars.
Bikes lanes for bikes.
I drive quite a lot so get what you’re saying and would often agree. I’m also an avid year round cyclist who has been involved in education and providing guidance so I see both sides. Both groups have those who are eeeediots, are disrespectful, and totally self absorbed and self entitled. Make no mistake.. don’t confuse someone who rides their bike occasionally and less than 100km/yr for a real cyclist - sadly this is Joe Average who doesn’t have a clue and is who all think “oh cr@p what the ###### now…”

At this point I’d happily “settle” for both/either group following 90% of the rules AND the city taking into consideration reasonable needs of both. But holy crap when I see a cyclist on Crowchild it’s like having a sneak peek of a Darwin Award winner, or when I see a vehicle driving on a designated pedestrian/cyclist path (not including service vehicles).

I had to specifically respond to your right/turn example as I’ve had a clueless motorist try to kill me that way, more than once. Almost took out a friend of mine (destroyed his racing bike) and that one went the legal route.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 06:47 PM   #2454
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not true.

Roads for cars.
Bikes lanes for bikes.
That'd be pretty awesome if every road had a bike lane. Sign me up.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #2455
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That'd be pretty awesome if every road had a bike lane. Sign me up.

conceptually sounds good; practically (and cost-wise) no.
That said I'm sure Calgary has many of the widest roads in the world (potentially a slight exaggeration) and I say this having travelled a fair bit... so yeah there's certainly a lot of room on many of our existing roads to co-exist.

But that said, given how useless so many drivers are at navigating, staying in their own lanes, and driving around other vehicles, it makes me wonder how they even manage to park their cars. I guess that explains all the "social distancing" parking jobs I see. Even at Costco.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #2456
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my experience, conflicts between cyclists and cars making right turns are usually because the cyclist has hugged the curb to pass cars stopped at a light. Which is stupid and illegal.

Take a lane. Obey all traffic regulations as though you’re driving a car. Use hand signals. Safest way for cyclists to operate. I say this as someone who has been bike commuting in this city for the better part of 30 years.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #2457
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of bike lanes in this city are on the right hand side of the roadway. I have certainly experienced situations where cars do not look into the bike lane while turning right on a green light - or even walking for that matter.

Most vehicles are simply watching for cars downtown - which is crazy considering the amount of bike and foot traffic
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #2458
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not true.

Roads for cars.
Bikes lanes for bikes.
Trying to turn left into and out of parking lots in the core is a nightmare at times. I'm constantly checking the sidewalk for pedestrians going two directions, and also bike lanes with cyclists going two directions.

This is on top of trying to make sure the road is safe to enter as well. I don't know what the answer is, but this makes driving in rush hour even more unsafe for everyone.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #2459
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

People claiming the new movie "The Whale" may trigger obese people really grinds my gears. It's a movie - it's supposed to evoke some emotion! If that offends you, stay home or don't see it!
Old 09-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #2460
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
A lot of bike lanes in this city are on the right hand side of the roadway. I have certainly experienced situations where cars do not look into the bike lane while turning right on a green light - or even walking for that matter.

Most vehicles are simply watching for cars downtown - which is crazy considering the amount of bike and foot traffic
Yah that’s a different situation than the gear grinder. It’s cyclists filtering on the right hand side and being oblivious to cars turning right.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote