Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 AM   #461
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

The Red Pill

/thread
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #462
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Should have seen Reddit before the purge haha. Dark corners of the internet...
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #463
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Sad little boys
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #464
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see your Red Pill and raise you

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedPillWomen/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #465
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

I'm going to assume that this sub is filled with Women who don't mind being hit by their spouses
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #466
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/21/im_a...not_a_monster/

####ing sick.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #467
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Yeah, I don't think that is a rabbit hole I want to go down.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #468
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
What do you think is sick? Just that he is a pedophile, even though he never has, and won't, act on it? Or the story of a hushed abuse from his childhood?

Obviously the act of child molestation is completely reprehensible, but I give that guy full kudos for outting himself in that way just to get a conversation started about what can be done with those people. Maybe there are ways to help them before they hurt someone.

If all you get from that story is "this guy is a pedo and that's disgusting" then you're not getting the full picture.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #469
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
What do you think is sick? Just that he is a pedophile, even though he never has, and won't, act on it? Or the story of a hushed abuse from his childhood?

Obviously the act of child molestation is completely reprehensible, but I give that guy full kudos for outting himself in that way just to get a conversation started about what can be done with those people. Maybe there are ways to help them before they hurt someone.

If all you get from that story is "this guy is a pedo and that's disgusting" then you're not getting the full picture.
Holy smokes, that guy has a) a lot of courage or b) no social intelligence whatsoever.

Due to advances in neurological psychology, we should be able to understand pedophila - and other paraphilias - in their benign stage as something more complicated than moral stains. It is an interesting question of the will, actually. Having these urges, and then, forcing yourself not to act on them is absolutely admirable, but incredibly sad. As he mentions in the article, a lot of the time, sexual preference for children presents itself in adolescence due to a childhood sexual trauma.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #470
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what is stronger; his desire to have sex with innocent children or salons complacency in attempting to normalize pedophilia in the public domian?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #471
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder what is stronger; his desire to have sex with innocent children or salons complacency in attempting to normalize pedophilia in the public domian?
Not strong enough to actually follow through with it. How strong is your urge to have sex with whoever you do? Strong enough to force yourself on anyone?

No one's attempting to normalize it (whatever that means). Hes stating the stark difference between pedophilia and being an actual child molester, which of course have cross sections, but being one does not necessarily make you the other. Nowhere in the article does he condone such behavior, or attempt to make it seem OK to abuse children (or anyone). He's just stating that there is a whole community of these people that realize what they are, and choose not to act on it, and need support. I have no problem supporting people who can freely recognize and admit their faults, and more importantly, not venture into the realm of immoral or illegal behavior. Especially if that fault is something that is so socially damaging regardless of whether you actually act on it or not.

Wouldn't you like to see these people have some attempt at reform as a means for protecting potential victims? Or would you rather just let them be fringe and outcasted members of society that may end up veering down that road? Do you think that the treatment these people receive (guilty assumptions regardless of their own life or actions) might somehow play into their decision to cross that line? As he mentions, the idea that he's going to be persecuted regardless does play into the psychology behind crossing that line. "Why not, they hate you either way."

You don't have to condone what we would all agree is terrible behavior to recognize that, while you can choose whether or not to act, the way you feel is not a choice. And the more you alienate those who do make the better choice, the more they might be drawn to the wrong choice.

Last edited by Coach; 02-23-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #472
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ahhh yes. The poor pedophiles just need public support.

Their acting out (or not) on their sick urges is not contingent of my acceptance of otherwise of their so called plight.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #473
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is it any different than support for sociopathic or psychotic people as a means to prevent any dangerous action they might commit?

It's not about sympathy for them, it's about how best to stop them from doing any harm. If you're content to just wait for them to reveal themselves as sex offenders and prosecute them after they've already inflicted irreparable damage on innocent children, alright then. It does nothing to either address the root of the problem or help potential victims.

Last edited by Coach; 02-23-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #474
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
How is it any different than support for sociopathic or psychotic people as a means to prevent any dangerous action they might commit?
We can provide effective medication for those people?

Quote:
It's not about sympathy for them
Damn straight.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #475
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well at least he drives slow in playground zones
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #476
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ahhh yes. The poor pedophiles just need public support.

Their acting out (or not) on their sick urges is not contingent of my acceptance of otherwise of their so called plight.
Most pedophiles were molested as children. So at what point do you start considering them worthy only of disgust and hatred? When they're 6 and being abused? When they're 16 and start having awful fantasies? When they're 26 and still having fantasies but not acting on them? When they're 36 and acting on them?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #477
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We can provide effective medication for those people?
No clue. Never really researched it. Do you think it's worth exploring the possibility? Because in order to do so, you're going to need people who admit this about themselves and for them to cooperate with any studies. In order to do that, you aren't going to be able to stand outside the place of study shouting about how disgusting they all are. Well, you could, but would it do anything to help anything? The children? The pedophiles? Someone is reaching out for some support (while openly admitting something that will by all accounts destroy every aspect of their lives) in their endeavor to rid themselves of these thoughts and urges and you're just going to tell them to f*** off, push how sick they are (even though they already know by their own admission), and deal with it themselves? Please explain how any of that helps anyone actually affected by these situations.

Last edited by Coach; 02-23-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #478
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most pedophiles were molested as children
Can you give us some peer-reviewed support for such a broad statement... I've never heard that before.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #479
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ironically, it is your post that best serves as a candidate for "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" for me.

Talk about a lack of tolerance/empathy. Guy has an attraction to children. Recognizes it and does not act on it. Commendable if anything, it is not like he would choose that attraction if he had a choice.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #480
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Can you give us some peer-reviewed support for such a broad statement... I've never heard that before.
Yeah there is no causal relationship. The majority of sexually abused children do not grow up to be adult offenders, nor do the majority of adult offenders report childhood sexual abuse. In all likelihood other environmental factors have more influence on later psychopathology in adulthood. Some US government research office officially declared there to be no causal relationship in the early 2000's.

Also thanks very much to the other posts here. I get too f'ed up about this to string together a coherent sentence. Some well written posts.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote