Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #101
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't see anything there about preventing the use of Twitter as a platform for misinformation.

The cancelled users weren't blocked just because they had controversial opinions.

A proverbial town square is only a productive place when the bands of degenerate neanderthals aren't crowding the stage yelling nonsense and rallying others with said nonsense.

Stemming Trump's online presence after his irresponsible abuse of it is one of the most helpful changes thats ever been made by social media platforms for the sake of society.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #102
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Authenticating all humans" sounds like the death of Twitter. ####posting cannot be done with real IDs attached, and without ####posting there is no Twitter. Granted it would make for a significantly better platform for actual usefulness, but what makes Twitter great (i.e. terrible) is that it is a sewer. Cleaning up said sewer....nah, just ain't interesting anymore.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #103
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

A CNN contributor of all people won the internet for the day

https://twitter.com/user/status/1518709853937704960
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #104
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Oh he's not liquidating his stock to buy twitter. He's borrowing against Twitter itself and his Tesla stock.
Isn't that just kicking the can down the road?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #105
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

More than kicking the can down the road, it is a pretty big gamble for Musk. Even Tesla stock can go down, and he could be put in a position to be forced to sell Tesla stock, pushing that stock down even further.

Even the wealthiest man in the world doesn't have $45B kicking around. He is leveraging his wealth producer for something that might be fairly marginal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:57 PM   #106
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How come some of you think Twitter has zero monetary value?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #107
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone has suggested it has zero monetary value, but it's nowhere near as easy to make money off than Facebook or YouTube are. Making it subscription based is a non-starter. Pumping up more ads? I use web based so I can use AdBlock and will never get the app for that very reason. Twitter is just sort of the tweener social media platform: it's not entertaining enough to spend extended periods on, but it's also not totally useless, so finding the money making sweet spot is a challenge.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #108
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm very confident at this point Musk knows how to make money.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #109
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not really sure if making money is even one of his primary motivations here. But I guess we'll see.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:13 PM   #110
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm not a big Twitter user, so I'm trying to get my head around people being upset about Musk buying Twitter (although it seems like it's "conservatives" making fun of "the libs" and laughing, despite me not seeing many complaints).

Is it that Musk is saying "bUt mUh FrEe SpEeCh!!!" Despite Twitter doing bugger all to monitor misinformation except the most extreme of extreme examples?

It seems like a big nothing burger to me, but again, I never really got Twitter in the first place.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:40 PM   #111
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm not a big Twitter user, so I'm trying to get my head around people being upset about Musk buying Twitter (although it seems like it's "conservatives" making fun of "the libs" and laughing, despite me not seeing many complaints).

Is it that Musk is saying "bUt mUh FrEe SpEeCh!!!" Despite Twitter doing bugger all to monitor misinformation except the most extreme of extreme examples?

It seems like a big nothing burger to me, but again, I never really got Twitter in the first place.
I don't bother with Twitter either. To my understanding...it'd be like Katz buying the Flames, for no other reason than to f*** with Flames fans.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #112
Mephisto
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How come Kiev wasn't taken a month ago like you said?
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:26 PM   #113
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
How come Kiev wasn't taken a month ago like you said?
Because I was wrong and can't see the future I said what I thought at the time. Not that any of that lessens the suffering my family is going through right now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #114
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

The thing I don't like is Musk's repeatedly manipulative behaviour with regard to markets in which he plays. He was using his platform to talk trash about twitter just recently, then comes in to buy.

Musk is an amazing entrepreneur and is a visionary, but I don't think he's someone to look on as having a great respect for the rule of law. What he'll do, I have no idea, but I don't think he's a guy who is just going to consult a bunch of constitutional lawyers to guide his decision either.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #115
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because none of my foster kids would touch it with a ten foot pole, it, like Facebook is pretty much a world for the angry middle aged and older, they are both destined to become the Readers Digest of the internet in the next few years
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #116
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I don't bother with Twitter either. To my understanding...it'd be like Katz buying the Flames, for no other reason than to f*** with Flames fans.
Don’t fool yourself. Musk didn’t buy it with the intention of throwing billions of dollars away. He bought it with the intent of making money.

Plain and simple.

And there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 PM   #117
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but:

• Twitter is the 15th biggest social media network by community, barely beating Reddit and Quora. I think people over-estimate its global impact.

• If immense power by one voice is a concern with Twitter, how do people feel about 4 out of the Top 5 social media communities being controlled by Meta/Zuckerberg?

• Rightly or wrongly, the media has always been owned by a few elite rich people. Whether it's Rupert Murdoch owning Newscorp, Bezos owning the Washington Post, the Sulzberger family owning the NYTimes...there's always a rich guy at the top. Why is this instance any different?
Keep in mind a lot of the power of twitter in elections and media headlines is that what's said on there gets repeated and used as the basis for stories and discussion, regardless of who's actually on there and clicking on tweets, see: Donald Trump dominating headlines on all media platforms mostly due to tweets being discussed.

Along with twitter being much bigger for news than some of those other ones.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-25-2022 at 11:17 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:51 AM   #118
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So I read a tweet or two likely everyday because they are widely shared by others (this forum for example, like a jfresh card). If that same content was shared from another platform, I would consume it the exact same way and not notice a difference. Maybe twitter has done a good job with how easy it is to share their content vs other social media platforms, but if they were to suddenly disappear, I don’t think that’s a hard feature to replicate again elsewhere.

Not saying it has “zero” value, but I also don’t see a ton of room for growth beyond what it already is.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:09 AM   #119
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Twitter has had one year it made money, which was last year and it made around a billion, which is not to be sneered at but the chances it is still chugging along making a billion a year for the next 40 odd years in order to make back the 40 billion Tesla has dropped is all but inconceivable.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:17 AM   #120
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the purge of bots is starting with Musk's "authenticate all humans" pledge. Lots of users are reporting huge drop in followers. This is great news for fighting disinformation amplification Russian misinformation factories like to use so much.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1518724468406767616
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post: