Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #81
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Its less of a business decision and more of a "for humanity" transaction in his view.

I'm sure he'll find a way to make buckets of money on it, but ultimately, Twitter being reliant on advertisers so much for its valuation and existence meant it became a bit counter to its original vision and what it could be. Which I think anyone can agree regardless of politics.

If there is anyone I 'trust' in the billionaire-sphere to have legit, wholesome intentions, its Elon. Dude could be kicking back doing nothing but travelling and spending money like Bezos, but here he is with his hands in a million jars at once working on big problems.
Not saying you are right or wrong - but why do you think he has had wholesome intentions in anything he's done vs just exploiting market opportunities?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #82
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I absolutely think it's a power flex as he's hitting the iron while it's hot as richest man in the world today will be replaced by someone else tomorrow and he's making his mark while he can. This purchase ensures that he's not going anywhere for some time even if/when legacy automakers catch up and surpass Tesla.
I'd be shocked if Tesla/SpaceX aren't bigger companies in 10-15 years compared to Twitter.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #83
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think people don’t understand what unmoderated free speech looks like. It has never actually been a thing.
There have always been laws around issuing threats, inciting violence, and libel. I haven’t seen anyone call to strike down those laws. Debates about free speech are about how much further platforms should restrict speech beyond what’s covered by the legal code.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #84
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I'd be shocked if Tesla/SpaceX aren't bigger companies in 10-15 years compared to Twitter.
They already are. By a long shot. Tesla is worth 1 trillion and space x is over 100 billion.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #85
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the owners of social media platforms were serious about elevating public discourse, they would remove the features (likes, shares, etc) that incentivize antagonism and viral outrage. But those features drive engagement, and engagement is the business model.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #86
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

So his wealth can't be liquidated to pay taxes, but it can to buy Twitter?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #87
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Social media is no different than being hooked on a video game. Unless you're using it to drive traffic to your business, its largely a wasteful outlet that activates dopamine pathways with no tangible rewards of any kind.

I look at my parents browsing Facebook, scrolling to the next cat video, and the next one, and it looks no different than I did as a teenager being wholly consumed by a first person shooter while being taken out of the real life environment around me for hours at a time.

So much time is spent on building accounts and your online following and yet somebody at one of those companies could essentially wipe your entire life in an instant and for some they would lose their entire identity.

SM only serves to keep people busy without actually getting anywhere. A zombifying plague of sorts.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #88
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Elon want Trump in power again for those sweet sweet tax breaks...Trump on twitter will help his chances
Old 04-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #89
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
So his wealth can't be liquidated to pay taxes, but it can to buy Twitter?
Oh he's not liquidating his stock to buy twitter. He's borrowing against Twitter itself and his Tesla stock.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #90
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducay View Post
its less of a business decision and more of a "for humanity" transaction in his view.

I'm sure he'll find a way to make buckets of money on it, but ultimately, twitter being reliant on advertisers so much for its valuation and existence meant it became a bit counter to its original vision and what it could be. Which i think anyone can agree regardless of politics.

If there is anyone i 'trust' in the billionaire-sphere to have legit, wholesome intentions, its elon. Dude could be kicking back doing nothing but travelling and spending money like bezos, but here he is with his hands in a million jars at once working on big problems.
Wholesome...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1517707521343082496

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #91
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free speech!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #92
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its less of a business decision and more of a "for humanity" transaction in his view.

I'm sure he'll find a way to make buckets of money on it, but ultimately, Twitter being reliant on advertisers so much for its valuation and existence meant it became a bit counter to its original vision and what it could be. Which I think anyone can agree regardless of politics.

If there is anyone I 'trust' in the billionaire-sphere to have legit, wholesome intentions, its Elon. Dude could be kicking back doing nothing but travelling and spending money like Bezos, but here he is with his hands in a million jars at once working on big problems.
Oh wait you're serious, I read the entire thing waiting for the punchline
Old 04-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #93
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think people don’t understand what unmoderated free speech looks like. It has never actually been a thing.
Well, what we're talking about here is unmoderated free speech on an internet messaging platform, and it's pretty easy to understand what that looks like. Isn't it just, "post whatever you like, and unless the state forces us to take it off, there it shall remain"?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #94
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free speech doesn't mean you can say anything you want with zero consequences

At least that's not how it was intended
Old 04-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #95
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe he's been on the record as free speech on Twitter needs to be defined by the laws in the country it operates in itself. i.e you can say on Twitter what you can legally say in real life and with the same constraints. Seems logical to me and means it isn't 'free speech' as determined by a desk jockey at Twitter, but by law.

I agree in principal but the heck is he going to do with backwards countries will all kinds of regressive laws (Saudi cough cough)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #96
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what I find disgusting about this is that, despite just spending 44 billion, he's STILL the World's Richest Man...still in the lead by around 55 billion.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #97
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe he's been on the record as free speech on Twitter needs to be defined by the laws in the country it operates in itself. i.e you can say on Twitter what you can legally say in real life and with the same constraints. Seems logical to me and means it isn't 'free speech' as determined by a desk jockey at Twitter, but by law.

I agree in principal but the heck is he going to do with backwards countries will all kinds of regressive laws (Saudi cough cough)
Better have a sweet algorithm to hide the garbage that will fit under that definition. Go to one of the chan sites and see how it ends up.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #98
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, what we're talking about here is unmoderated free speech on an internet messaging platform, and it's pretty easy to understand what that looks like. Isn't it just, "post whatever you like, and unless the state forces us to take it off, there it shall remain"?
While I think you are quite right, the question is what would the ramifications be? Would twitter be more valuable/make more money? I am doubtful, but I suppose stoking the rage machine might help. Will it be better for humanity? Highly doubtful. In any way move the needle on free speech? This has nothing to do with free speech.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:30 PM   #99
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How does that work in practice? Twitter operates globally, so is it where Twitter is headquartered? Could they "move" to somewhere with lax laws? Or is it where the post came from? VPN, anyone? Or the user lives, since he seems to want to verify everyone's identity? What about dual citizens?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #100
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1518677066325053441

Sounds all good in principle but, judging by a lot of reactions, it seems as though people who want to have the freedom to say dumb #### are the ones most excited.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote