Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #141
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

man this thread evolved into something else entirely than what I expected.

I don't really feel comfortable commenting on the subject of the thread anymore.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck Centennial Bank!

Why is it when our direct competitors best players are having difficulties we no longer have to play against them?

Did Centennial Bank invent COVID? Are there Pangolins in their safe??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #143
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good luck Centennial Bank!

Why is it when our direct competitors best players are having difficulties we no longer have to play against them?

Did Centennial Bank invent COVID? Are there Pangolins in their safe??
I personally think Zoom did it
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
man this thread evolved into something else entirely than what I expected.

I don't really feel comfortable commenting on the subject of the thread anymore.
Putting all else aside...its an Elite Athlete going Bankrupt.

Nothing that hasnt happened before and wont happen again.

The only thing that makes this slightly strange is that Kane is still young and under contract and poised to earn a bunch more money.

Which is why I wonder about the legality of it all. Its just interesting. His gloating about being rich is just a bit of schadenfreude.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #145
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I personally think Zoom did it
But.....thats actually not a bad conspiracy theory. I'll allow it.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #146
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No, this is in fact the exact problematic statement.

I feel like it's largely just getting passed over here, but this is a perfect example of how we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently. Someone pointing that out isn't because they want to see it. Red made the same comment about my exception to Banana phone being referenced in this thread.

Just because you don't think you were being racist by doing something does not absolve that action as inherently racist. Intent actually doesn't matter.
It's largely getting passed over here because most people agree the comments with regard to Kane have had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. (Banana-phone comment aside, perhaps a better approach would have been to politely, and correctly, point out that using that term in a thread involving a Black or Asian person could be easily misconstrued. Not everyone is as woke as you.)

I think there are many times where discussions around race are necessary and enlightening, but what I find ironic is that by bringing race into conversations when it's not warranted "we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently".
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I mean I respect someone that takes care of his family. But when you have 5 million owing on loan guarantees for family businesses for example, then clearly your family is a big part of the problem.

Hey Evander I have this great idea for a ferrett grooming business, I need 5 million dollars to get it off of the ground.

I've read where some athletes have talked about having to learn to say no to family and friends and how to grow a thick skin with the "You've changed since you got rich retort". Having three houses doesn't help, and a million in a half in documented gambling debts usually makes me want to ask about un documented gambling debts.

I've hear that the NHL does a decent job with rookies in terms of teaching them about the trappings of becoming rich too fast. But shouldn't Kane's agent have done some work on making sure he had the resources to say "Stop draining my bank" or "I can't loan you money or guarantee your businesses" Or "I don't need three freaking homes"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #148
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, this is in fact the exact problematic statement.

I feel like it's largely just getting passed over here, but this is a perfect example of how we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently. Someone pointing that out isn't because they want to see it. Red made the same comment about my exception to Banana phone being referenced in this thread.

Just because you don't think you were being racist by doing something does not absolve that action as inherently racist. Intent actually doesn't matter.
I don't entirely disagree with you in a general sense, but sometimes a banana is just a banana.

And yes, of course intent matters, it's just not the singular or major factor to consider.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #149
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I mean I respect someone that takes care of his family. But when you have 5 million owing on loan guarantees for family businesses for example, then clearly your family is a big part of the problem.

Hey Evander I have this great idea for a ferrett grooming business, I need 5 million dollars to get it off of the ground.

I've read where some athletes have talked about having to learn to say no to family and friends and how to grow a thick skin with the "You've changed since you got rich retort". Having three houses doesn't help, and a million in a half in documented gambling debts usually makes me want to ask about un documented gambling debts.

I've hear that the NHL does a decent job with rookies in terms of teaching them about the trappings of becoming rich too fast. But shouldn't Kane's agent have done some work on making sure he had the resources to say "Stop draining my bank" or "I can't loan you money or guarantee your businesses" Or "I don't need three freaking homes"
Many players need better agents/financial/accountants in their circle.There are way too many stories of athletes going broke because of the people they surround themselves with. It's especially tough for hockey players, since they don't make anywhere near the money that players in the other Big 4 sports make. The average NBA player made over 8.3 MM dollars last year. Only 29 NHL players will make more than that this year, with that number going down with the 75% reduction.

It must be really tough for guys who came from nothing, who finally make millions, to say no to their friends, family, and people acting like they are friends just for money. It also is required they learn to say no. Few of them learned financial management along the way since none of them are allowed to earn any money until they are a professional. Then they get $3MM and think that money is unlimited because their dad made $40,000 working at the mill and he survived. They also need to think of what happens after the career ends, because they hopefully have another 40-50 years to go.

It's a great idea to invest in some businesses, but odds are your 45 year old cousin, who has never run a business, will not be successful in his new venture for stealing air out of bike tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #150
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty big update here.

Evander Kane and the San Jose Sharks have notified bankruptcy court that they might void his contract

https://twitter.com/user/status/1369733296855293954
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #151
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting...I don't think creditors will not like missing out on the rest of what is owed to Kane.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #152
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. That would be huge. He’s having a good season for them this year (20 points in 23 games). Obviously this isn’t hockey-related but still.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #153
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there precedent for a club/player agreeing to void a contract like kane's? Seems very strange...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #154
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does that affect his next deal if this one is voided?

I know zilch about bankruptcy. Will voiding this contract stop the Sharks from signing him again?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #155
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't read that article... on what basis are they looking to void this contract?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #156
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are they simply considering voiding his contract to allow him to avoid having to re pay creditors? If so that is a sleaze bag move by both the Sharks and Kane.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #157
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Is there precedent for a club/player agreeing to void a contract like kane's? Seems very strange...
There have been numerous examples of players and teams mutually agreeing to terminate contracts. The key is that both parties have to agree to terminate the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
How does that affect his next deal if this one is voided?

I know zilch about bankruptcy. Will voiding this contract stop the Sharks from signing him again?
I don't think there is anything in the CBA that expressly forbids them from signing Kane again after terminating the contract. However one could make the case that by voiding the contract and then signing him again the Sharks are re-negotiating Kane's contract which is not allowed per the CBA. Depends on how the NHL and NHLPA will want to interpret and enforce the clause but I would bet on them not allowing it because it sets a precedent for other teams and players to renegotiate contracts.

That being said this is more than likely a negotiating tactic for settling the debts. Kane's lawyers are threatening to take away the main source for the creditors to recoup their money and trying to get them to take pennies on the dollars for what they are owed.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #158
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He thought the Washington Generals were due
Old 03-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
There have been numerous examples of players and teams mutually agreeing to terminate contracts. The key is that both parties have to agree to terminate the contract.

I don't think there is anything in the CBA that expressly forbids them from signing Kane again after terminating the contract. However one could make the case that by voiding the contract and then signing him again the Sharks are re-negotiating Kane's contract which is not allowed per the CBA. Depends on how the NHL and NHLPA will want to interpret and enforce the clause.

That being said this is more than likely a negotiating tactic for settling the debts. Kane's lawyers are threatening to take away the main source for the creditors to recoup their money and trying to get them to take pennies on the dollars they are owed.
Yeah, I came to say this.

This is so, so greasy.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #160
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Are they simply considering voiding his contract to allow him to avoid having to re pay creditors? If so that is a sleaze bag move by both the Sharks and Kane.

Not really. Lenders should have done their diligence and should have known this could be a possibility. Lenders take risk and they didn’t assess it properly obviously.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post: