Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would expect that if he is taking the year off, this is the end for him. He comes across as plutonium in the dressing room and in his personal issues, and NHL front offices probably don't want that kind of baggage.

Even if he does come back the leash on him will be really short, and I have my doubts that he can live in that environment.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #122
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Gross. What kind of scumbag tries to take care of his family? Zero sympathy.
Okay...but that doesnt add up.

If he only lost ~$1.5M gambling, and hes taking care of his family....where did the rest of the money go?

Hes got ~$60M in career earnings? Give or take? Cut that in half for fees and taxes, how is he ~$27M in debt?

I'm not getting into all of the sideshow madness, but frankly, when you post photos bragging about how much money you make its pretty easy to dismiss you when you file for Bankruptcy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #123
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would expect that if he is taking the year off, this is the end for him. He comes across as plutonium in the dressing room and in his personal issues, and NHL front offices probably don't want that kind of baggage.

He is playing this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #124
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
On the filing, Kane listed liabilities at $26.8 million with assets of $10.2 million. While The Athletic notes that the sources of Kane's losses are not clear, the petition indicates that he has lost $1.5 million in gambling over the last year. The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas also settled a lawsuit against Kane for unpaid gambling bills last year.

In his home, Kane lists seven dependents living with him, including a 6-month-old daughter, 27-year-old sister, mother, father, two uncles and his grandmother.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/6636250002/

Though a contributing factor, gambling issues appear to be only part of the problem. A promise to take care of his family, or perhaps having a family full of leaches certainly is not helping. His past of ice behavior has not made him a sympathetic figure.
Could be a big problem, perhaps. That gambling loss accounts for nearly 40% of his entire take-home salary over the past year. If that's a one-off issue, maybe not a big deal. If that's a regular thing, or even a better year than in some previous, that indicates a huge problem.

That aside, it's always kind of fascinating/horrifying to see ultra-wealthy individuals still live beyond their means or find themselves unable to live comfortably with their wealth. I imagine winning a million dollars and essentially being set for life through maintaining a job and investing wisely, being able to do almost any reasonable thing I'd want to do. Someone takes home millions of dollars every year after tax, and they go bankrupt. It's insane.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #125
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay...but that doesnt add up.

If he only lost ~$1.5M gambling, and hes taking care of his family....where did the rest of the money go?

Hes got ~$60M in career earnings? Give or take? Cut that in half for fees and taxes, how is he ~$27M in debt?

I'm not getting into all of the sideshow madness, but frankly, when you post photos bragging about how much money you make its pretty easy to dismiss you when you file for Bankruptcy.

He owes over $8.3 MM to Centennial Bank in Arkansas for various, failed business and investment opportunities. The bank is seeking his wages be garnished. Allegedly the bank was being paid from his wages directly, but Kane asked for this process to be stopped a year ago, and hasn't made payments since then.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #126
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to imagine it all came from gambling, as it would be hard to continue to get credit on your accounts if you have fallen behind by more than a million.

When you're talking 10 digits, the easiest way to do that is bad investments.

And while I hate to speculate, when someone gets into that kind of trouble, you have to wonder about drugs.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #127
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Could be a big problem, perhaps. That gambling loss accounts for nearly 40% of his entire take-home salary over the past year. If that's a one-off issue, maybe not a big deal. If that's a regular thing, or even a better year than in some previous, that indicates a huge problem.

That aside, it's always kind of fascinating/horrifying to see ultra-wealthy individuals still live beyond their means or find themselves unable to live comfortably with their wealth. I imagine winning a million dollars and essentially being set for life through maintaining a job and investing wisely, being able to do almost any reasonable thing I'd want to do. Someone takes home millions of dollars every year after tax, and they go bankrupt. It's insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
He owes over $8.3 MM to Centennial Bank in Arkansas for various, failed business and investment opportunities. The bank is seeking his wages be garnished. Allegedly the bank was being paid from his wages directly, but Kane asked for this process to be stopped a year ago, and hasn't made payments since then.
*40% of his Pre garnished take home.
https://www.law360.com/articles/1342...loan-bank-says
Old 01-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #128
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

* sorry, I meant 8 digits, not 10
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #129
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm trying to think of an explanation on how he lost all his money that doesn't involve cocaine and it's really difficult.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #130
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I didn't get that from CF's post at all. I interpreted his comment as saying sometimes people see what they want to see.
No, this is in fact the exact problematic statement.

I feel like it's largely just getting passed over here, but this is a perfect example of how we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently. Someone pointing that out isn't because they want to see it. Red made the same comment about my exception to Banana phone being referenced in this thread.

Just because you don't think you were being racist by doing something does not absolve that action as inherently racist. Intent actually doesn't matter.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #131
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Probably put 20M on the Steelers
Bet the football Giants to win the division.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #132
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aside from the banana phone comment (which yeah, intent or not that's a little on the nose) I don't really see anything based on race, I'd expect most of the same comments to be found in any Theo thread, or if Avery lost his money.

Kane is a dickhead, that's what people are commenting on.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #133
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I find this to be such a silly response.

"Never point out undertones of racism, or potential bias, because that means its YOU that are racist"

This type of sentiment is what makes people scared to speak out at times.

Again, I just want to reiterate. I never accused anyone directly of racism. I said I was getting a feeling of bias and racism in some comments in the the thread. And people started to get defensive. That is alright. That is what happens when you talk about these things. Warranted or not.

I have no problem defending my comments. And I have no problem accepting that anyone had no intention of doing it, consciously or subconsciously. It's the conversation that matters.

In my opinion.
What the hell are you going on about?

You keep insinuating that people find the humour in this situation because Kane is black, even though they have gone out of their way to explain it to you.

This is a ridiculous stance to take, and to claim that I am racist - even subconsciously - is a completely asinine take.

Let me explain it for you again:

Kane posts pics of 'money phone' (and others) flaunting his wealth. Suddenly he is declaring bankruptcy. I am racist.

Can you not see how idiotic AND offensive that logic is?

Just a ridiculous take on my post, and a ridiculous attack on me personally.

This would be just as funny if it happened to Commodore, as Commodore posed with his money bed.

The conversation does matter, but accusing people of being racist when they are CLEARLY not (at least not from the posts that they have made) is counter-productive to this conversation. So stop being a dunce here, and painting people as racist for no good reason. There are plenty of examples when this conversation is warranted - the world at large and in the hockey community - but this is not one of them. Kane being black does not add or detract from the humour in this situation. The humour is in the irony of the story.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #134
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd think that going to good team that the Sharks had with good leadership would change a guy like Kane around. If he was smart and down to earth, he wouldn't be in a mess. He was given so many chances to start fresh in every club he's played for. Some people are too stupid and arrogant for their own good. He can't really blame anyone but himself for shooting his own foot.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #135
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What the hell are you going on about?

You keep insinuating that people find the humour in this situation because Kane is black, even though they have gone out of their way to explain it to you.

This is a ridiculous stance to take, and to claim that I am racist - even subconsciously - is a completely asinine take.

Let me explain it for you again:

Kane posts pics of 'money phone' (and others) flaunting his wealth. Suddenly he is declaring bankruptcy. I am racist.

Can you not see how idiotic AND offensive that logic is?

Just a ridiculous take on my post, and a ridiculous attack on me personally.

This would be just as funny if it happened to Commodore, as Commodore posed with his money bed.

The conversation does matter, but accusing people of being racist when they are CLEARLY not (at least not from the posts that they have made) is counter-productive to this conversation. So stop being a dunce here, and painting people as racist for no good reason. There are plenty of examples when this conversation is warranted - the world at large and in the hockey community - but this is not one of them. Kane being black does not add or detract from the humour in this situation. The humour is in the irony of the story.
I haven't accused anyone of racism.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 01-12-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #136
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I haven't accused anyone of racism.
No, you've accused EVERYONE of racism.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #137
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
You'd think that going to good team that the Sharks had with good leadership would change a guy like Kane around. If he was smart and down to earth, he wouldn't be in a mess. He was given so many chances to start fresh in every club he's played for. Some people are too stupid and arrogant for their own good. He can't really blame anyone but himself for shooting his own foot.
If gambling is his biggest issue, Joe Thornton wouldn't be the best leader to have around. A lot of Setoguchi's problems were abetted by Big Joe, and TJ Galliardi's stories on Spittin Chiclets of the Sharks post season trips were nearly sickening in terms of the party, gambling, money spent etc...(this would have been before Kane's time with the Sharts however).
Old 01-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #138
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
No, you've accused EVERYONE of racism.
Incorrect
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #139
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I'm trying to think of an explanation on how he lost all his money that doesn't involve cocaine and it's really difficult.

I haven't read the Chapter 7 filing, but I did find the $8.3 MM he owes Centennial Bank. Here's my guess on the rest.
  • $8.3 MM - Centennial Bank
  • $8.0 MM - Mortgage on his 3 homes. He has $10.2 MM in assets
  • $2.5 MM - Gambling debts
  • $3.0 MM - Other loans from banks
  • $5.0 MM - Guarantees on friends and families business/debts
The last one might even be higher and it wouldn't necessarily be cash he has spent. Many athletes are approached by family, friends, and people hanging on to them to help out with a business. The bank advances funds to Kane's buddy for a car wash/strip club/vitamin supplement store/etc., with a guarantee from Kane. The business fails and the bank calls the loan. Kane is now on the hook for it. He could have also guaranteed or been a co-signor a loan when his brother/cousin/nephew/buddy wanted a new car. They default on the payment, repo the car, and go after Kane for the difference. I am guessing there are many athletes that end up in that position.

The above are educated guesses and estimates. I am in no way making a comment about whether is smart with his money or not, but I think it's pretty easy to get to a $26.8 MM figure. If you go to different banks and don't disclose the amount of your personal guarantees, you can have a ton of credit extended to you if you have a 7 year, $49 MM contract. It's not like banks are advancing $8.3MM to a guy making $15 per hour. The more money you make, the more opportunities you'll have to get into large debt. It definitely sounds like he's made bad choices, but the figure doesn't seem as absurd as some are making it out to be. Maybe it's just the same hyperbole that people were exclaiming when they thought Derek Ryan had played his last game as a Calgary Flame.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by squiggs96; 01-12-2021 at 02:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #140
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Betting on the Oilers?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote