Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #1201
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.' Wasn't what I was expecting at all and was kind of trippy to the point of almost being disconcerting, but I still really liked it. I think Tom Hanks is the reason why.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #1202
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched Knives Out. Major disappointment for me. It definitely had it's moments, but it was bogged down by an overly convoluted setup and a rather massive plot hole in the key reveal. Plus the quality of the dialogue was occasionally really bad.

The mid part was mildly entertaining, but after Looper, The Last Jedi and this I think I'm very much done giving Rian Johnsons movies any more chance. By my definitions, the guy just isn't a very good writer.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #1203
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Richard Jewell was pretty good, but I find it lost a lot of quality in the final acts. It felt rushed, and the media redemption angle was really hackey and shallow.

Also want to add that the film was more than a little hypocritical with its treatment of Kathy Scruggs.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 12-29-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #1204
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

How bad was the end to Alien Resurrection? The whole Alien baby monster is cringeworthy. Otherwise not a bad movie.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #1205
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jojo Rabbit is awesome. That. Is. All.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #1206
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

As far as films about being trapped during a hurricane with angry Alligators coming for you go I’d say that Crawl is definitely top 3.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #1207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
As far as films about being trapped during a hurricane with angry Alligators coming for you go I’d say that Crawl is definitely top 3.
Thats the quite the specific niche.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #1208
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Watched 'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.' Wasn't what I was expecting at all and was kind of trippy to the point of almost being disconcerting, but I still really liked it. I think Tom Hanks is the reason why.
I found it too depressing.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:14 AM   #1209
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Blade Runner in Dec 2019 which was set in Nov 2019.
So dark and slow and boring.. No wonder i skipped it the past 30 years.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #1210
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Official Secrets is simply brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #1211
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Jojo Rabbit is awesome. That. Is. All.
Agreed. Despite some jarring tonal changes from irreverence, to dark comedy, to just dark, this is an enjoyable film that does a great job being both a hilarious comedy and an interesting drama. Once scene in particular manages to have both the tension of a Tarantino movie while also featuring some of the film's funniest moments.

I really like anything from Waititi and JoJo is no different featuring his signature style and humour. There are also a lot of similar themes with Hunt for the Wilderpeople featuring a young boy trying to find his place in the world.

Finally, how good is the acting in this one? Rockwell and Johansson are at their best with a great supporting cast too. The child actors are excellent especially the one playing JoJo's friend who is given some of the funnier lines.

Definitely recommend 9/10.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #1212
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys.
Cold Pursuit.

Liam Neeson is a snowplow driver named cocksman, and he's out for revenge.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #1213
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Agreed. Despite some jarring tonal changes from irreverence, to dark comedy, to just dark, this is an enjoyable film that does a great job being both a hilarious comedy and an interesting drama. Once scene in particular manages to have both the tension of a Tarantino movie while also featuring some of the film's funniest moments.

I really like anything from Waititi and JoJo is no different featuring his signature style and humour. There are also a lot of similar themes with Hunt for the Wilderpeople featuring a young boy trying to find his place in the world.

Finally, how good is the acting in this one? Rockwell and Johansson are at their best with a great supporting cast too. The child actors are excellent especially the one playing JoJo's friend who is given some of the funnier lines.

Definitely recommend 9/10.
Love Jojo Rabbit. And love Johannson. But I have to say I felt like she just didn't quite have the right timing for Waititi's humor. It's a very particular thing built on dry comments and awkward pauses, and she brought a bit more a slapstick sort of style that I felt didn't really land as well as it could have. It was good, but I couldn't help but feel someone with a more dry sensibility would have been better.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #1214
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We watched JoJo Rabbit again. I cannot describe how rare of a situation this is for the wife and I. The movie is incredible. The tonal shift is real but completely makes sense as it follows the titular characters story. The ensemble cast (Scarlett Johansson included) mesh perfectly and all hit the comedic tone of Taika Waititti sets. Roman Davis Thomasin and McKenzie have such perfectly chemisty and Sam Rockwell is brilliant in everything.

For me it's the best movie of the year.

Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #1215
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
We watched JoJo Rabbit again. I cannot describe how rare of a situation this is for the wife and I. The movie is incredible. The tonal shift is real but completely makes sense as it follows the titular characters story. The ensemble cast (Scarlett Johansson included) mesh perfectly and all hit the comedic tone of Taika Waititti sets. Roman Davis Thomasin and McKenzie have such perfectly chemisty and Sam Rockwell is brilliant in everything.

For me it's the best movie of the year.

It's nearly perfect, tbh.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #1216
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Jojo Rabbit out on streaming services now? I really wanted to see it as I loved Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Don't mind paying to watch it.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #1217
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Is Jojo Rabbit out on streaming services now? I really wanted to see it as I loved Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Don't mind paying to watch it.
It's playing at the plaza right now
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #1218
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I’ve never heard of James Corden in my entire life until today and his name has been dropped like 500 times all of a sudden? Who the hell is this nobody and why do we care?
Hahaha I thought I was the only one!! Literally never heard of this dude until about a month ago, now he's constantly popping up on the Twitter and my recommended YouTube videos for some reason. He's mildly amusing at times, but over-all just seems annoying.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #1219
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't that big on Doctor Sleep. The middle part with the shine vampires was OK. But the rest of it wasn't good. I didn't get the motivations of the characters in a lot parts and there was some plot holes. Also the kid was so powerful that the finale was basically irrelevant. 4/10.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 12:07 AM   #1220
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Recently have seen:

The Favourite, Green Book, Bombshell, The Report and Jo Jo Rabbit. I would highly recommend all of them actually.

The Favourite was expertly shot with an incredible script and huge performances from Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz and of course Olivia Colman. For a movie that basically took place in a couple bedrooms, and a field, I found myself completely captivated by the setting and the costumes.

The Green Book was not what I would personally deem Best Picture quality, however the subject matter was important and it was extremely heart warming, which to be honest is somewhat refreshing and needed amidst a sea of movies that are either downright depressing or are simply exposing powerful people acting horribly and for the most part getting away with it.

Which brings me to Bombshell. Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie and especially John Lithgow did a wonderful job. Filmed in the same style as "The Big Short" and "Vice" (not an Adam McKay movie though) with the quick cuts to different people narrating their experiences, intercut with actual news clips, nice little bits of humour here and there. A movie basically exposing grown men acting horribly. Worth a watch when it comes out on Netflix.

Jo Jo Rabbit, as has been mentioned already, is definitely worth watching. This movie somehow manages to blend the story of a child, who's imaginary best friend is Adolf Hitler, falling in love, the same child's goofy friendships, his complex relationship with his loving mother and his relationship with a closeted gay Nazi Officer; all of which have moments that are both deeply funny and tragic, but of course paired alongside the horrors of Nazi Germany. I thought Scarlett Johansson was incredible, and I typically don't enjoy her films. Watch this movie.

The Report is probably the film that stands out the least amongst these movies, however it is still worth a watch. Adam Driver, who seems to be in everything these days, does a typically great performance. I didn't really like Annette Bening as Dianne Feinstein, I found her performance to be a bit hollow. The movie is about the CIA's torture program and the people involved. I liked it.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: