Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #641
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflip_101 View Post
Clive Burger if you haven't had it, your missing out
Their clive sauce is the best thing, my favourite item from Clive Burger is actually the fries with extra clive sauce.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #642
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiri...love the blog but when are the instagram photos going to stop? There wasn't one true photo and coloring of the food at the Main Dish review...
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #643
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Their clive sauce is the best thing, my favourite item from Clive Burger is actually the fries with extra clive sauce.
The Clive sauce is super easy to make. It's approximately 3 parts mayo to one part sriracha. Change the ratios to your liking and enjoy.

Although, I did hear from someone that they also add onion soup mix into it as well as those two ingredients. I never detected that, but you can give it a shot as well.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #644
mrvee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
The Clive sauce is super easy to make. It's approximately 3 parts mayo to one part sriracha. Change the ratios to your liking and enjoy.

Although, I did hear from someone that they also add onion soup mix into it as well as those two ingredients. I never detected that, but you can give it a shot as well.
They also add chiptole as well from what i can taste.
mrvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #645
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If anyone is in Vancouver (I was for work this past week), the Best Western Sands on Davie has a not bad restaurant as far as hotel restaurants go, but they have a burger with pulled pork and some kind of awesome bacon on it, maybe I was just hungry but it was the best burger I've ever had.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #646
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Five Guys - bleh. Prefer Fatburger over them.

A million years ago when I lived and worked way up north, the Sunset Motor Inn in High Level made the best burgers I've ever had. Well, one particular cook did anyway. Every so often, I think of those and my mouth waters and the craving grows, but I have yet to find a burger joint that came anywhere close to Cook Helen's burgers.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #647
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're ever driving south of the border, stop in Bonners Ferry (Idaho) at a little joint called Chic'n'Chop. It's been there forever. Been eating there since I was a wee kiddie (1 year old-ish). All my dad's family is in the US still, so we used to go through a few times a year, heading to Clarkston (Lewiston). It doesn't look like much, just a few portable looking type buildings joined together, but the portions are huge, the prices pretty cheap and the food is great - the burgers, outstanding.

They're on I95, south end of Bonner's Ferry, almost all the way out of town, east side of the road.

Last edited by Minnie; 01-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #648
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
What happened with the planned Royal Oak location? Perhaps something fell through with the franchisee.
It is still a go. Will be east of Sobey's on 112th where they are currently building along with a Tim Horton's and a bunch of other stuff. I enjoy Five Guy's but like Smashburger more.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #649
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My one complaint about Smashburger is the plastic containers they put the burgers in when you get take out. There is not enough room to reach your hand in and grab the burger without it deconstructing itself. The toppings themselves don't seem to adhere to each other very well either. The layers are very shifty..
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #650
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My one complaint about Smashburger is the plastic containers they put the burgers in when you get take out. There is not enough room to reach your hand in and grab the burger without it deconstructing itself. The toppings themselves don't seem to adhere to each other very well either. The layers are very shifty..
Agreed. The burgers seem to be more cohesive than Five Guy's however. Mine are always challenging as I like lot's of toppings. I actually tried the "Smash" Chicken this week and it too was excellent.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #651
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I liked Five Guys more when it was a treat in the States. I've eaten at the one in Calgary a few times now and it has lost its luster. I give it a 7/10 - Rocky's kicks its ass.
The Five Guys in downtown West Palm is closing because no one goes. If you go at lunch there might be one person ahead of you. Their popularity tanked really fast here.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #652
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Jiri...love the blog but when are the instagram photos going to stop? There wasn't one true photo and coloring of the food at the Main Dish review...
I'm not in charge if the images but I will pass this on
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #653
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
The Five Guys in downtown West Palm is closing because no one goes. If you go at lunch there might be one person ahead of you. Their popularity tanked really fast here.
That might just be the fate of restaurants whose products are very decadent. It's not that people don't enjoy it, but there's a certain amount of times you can go before your body can't take it anymore.

I have never had a burger anywhere that was so bad I couldn't go back, but I limit myself to Burger Bus or Five Guys as a once a year treat. As much as I enjoy both, I just feel like I have a lead ball sitting in my stomach for the rest of the day. I probably wouldn't eat a Charcut Share burger either for that reason. Burger places that I can frequent more frequently would definitely be Smashburger or Boogies. I think there might be too many Five Guys around the city now. Are people here capable of eating them so often that they haven't become sick of it already?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #654
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was out in the Drumheller area yesterday and had the most surprising burger at Whif's waffle house. That little motel on the way to Royal Tyrell museum. It was shocking how good it was.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #655
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That might just be the fate of restaurants whose products are very decadent. It's not that people don't enjoy it, but there's a certain amount of times you can go before your body can't take it anymore.

I have never had a burger anywhere that was so bad I couldn't go back, but I limit myself to Burger Bus or Five Guys as a once a year treat. As much as I enjoy both, I just feel like I have a lead ball sitting in my stomach for the rest of the day. I probably wouldn't eat a Charcut Share burger either for that reason. Burger places that I can frequent more frequently would definitely be Smashburger or Boogies. I think there might be too many Five Guys around the city now. Are people here capable of eating them so often that they haven't become sick of it already?
I, I don't understand...

In fact, I've always thought that I feel relatively "good" (on the relative spectrum of "good feelings" after spending an hour at a burger joint) after a meal at Five Guys. It's heavy, but fills me up in the same way a crappy, unhealthy meal at home would, as opposed to rendering me an encumbered piece of useless garbage like some fast food places.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #656
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Off to White Spot for lunch today - Triple O burger on tap. Any plans to add WS to the Quest any time soon?
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #657
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Off to White Spot for lunch today - Triple O burger on tap. Any plans to add WS to the Quest any time soon?
The triple O here is an absolute abomination if you have ever tried the one from the original White Spot locations in BC.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #658
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocket03 View Post
The triple O here is an absolute abomination if you have ever tried the one from the original White Spot locations in BC.
Wasn't impressed today. Had it before in Calgary and enjoyed it but today was dry and unimpressive.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #659
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
What's happened to all the Burger Inns!?!?!?!?!
The lady beside me while waiting for a haircut at great clips is eating a burger from burger inn.

So the Burger inn at the brick plaza is open

Last edited by Violator; 01-30-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #660
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
The lady beside me is eating one the Macleod trail burger inn is at the brick plaza.
NSFW!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: