Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #1061
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Yeah.
The Calgary Wargamers Society meets a couple times a month at the Sentry Box and has an annual convention at the Military Museum. They're also running some events at FallCon. PM me if you want me to get in touch with the organisers and have you added to their email list.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #1062
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Calgary Wargamers Society meets a couple times a month at the Sentry Box and has an annual convention at the Military Museum. They're also running some events at FallCon. PM me if you want me to get in touch with the organisers and have you added to their email list.

...Well that's gonna be a bit of a trek.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #1063
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...Well that's gonna be a bit of a trek.
Whoops - didn't see the address.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #1064
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I've played Power Grid with three people and enjoyed it a lot.
Power Grid is ok with 3 players but it's better with 4 or 5 players. Playing with only 3 players doesn't allow for enough conflict.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #1065
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're into heavier euros, Le Havre works well with three.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #1066
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with that, pretty much all of Uwe Rosenberg's games play well with 3. Agricola, Caverna, Ora & Labora and I am probably forgetting some.
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #1067
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

troutman: why were you taking pictures of my Squad Leader drawer(s)?

I remember well the days of massive Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, etc. custom games with a couple dozen boards.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #1068
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't think there is anything in the world like the upper level of Sentry Box for war games.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #1069
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
troutman: why were you taking pictures of my Squad Leader drawer(s)?

I remember well the days of massive Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, etc. custom games with a couple dozen boards.
I don't know how many times I played the Guards Counterattack scenario from Squad Leader. "Sgt. Hamblen, get on that HMG!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't think there is anything in the world like the upper level of Sentry Box for war games.
Nope. It has to be the largest retail collection of historical wargames anywhere. We're fortunate the owner Gord is a lifelong wargamer who happily indulges his hobby, even if it doesn't make the best business sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #1070
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I read somewhere that Sentry Box had the biggest square footage for a privately owned board game store in the world.. I am sure the actual companies could compete obviously. But pretty impressive. I've been in there a few times on my visits to Calgary, the wallet always takes a beating.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #1071
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Looking for some 3 player game recommendations. I was looking at possibly getting 7 Wonders or Race the Galaxy but I am interested to hear some suggestions.
I really like Race. Count me in the "7 Wonders kinda sucks with 3" camp though. There aren't enough cards, and you see cards enough times that you can basically know the exact point value of every card in the age, which makes it into more of a math exercise and less of a strategy game. It might have enough variance if you add expansions.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #1072
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I really like Race. Count me in the "7 Wonders kinda sucks with 3" camp though. There aren't enough cards, and you see cards enough times that you can basically know the exact point value of every card in the age, which makes it into more of a math exercise and less of a strategy game. It might have enough variance if you add expansions.
That's good to hear. I am going to give Race a spin tomorrow night with a friend who owns it. That'll give me a good idea on if I'll want to pick it up.

Quote:
I've heard good things about this one too and I personally don't mind heavier games.

I am probably going to pick up Carcassonne since it isn't very expensive and it seems like an easy game to get people into. I've also been looking at Terra Mystica, Caverna and Samurai.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #1073
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I read somewhere that Sentry Box had the biggest square footage for a privately owned board game store in the world.. I am sure the actual companies could compete obviously. But pretty impressive. I've been in there a few times on my visits to Calgary, the wallet always takes a beating.
They put that on one of their signs outside, that they are the largest board game store in the world. On one hand that's awesome, on the other hand I'm kind of sad that there isn't something out there bigger. I would like to see Fantasy Flights store in Minnesota, during one of their theme nights like " Arkham Nights"
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This post is terrible For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #1074
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how many times I played the Guards Counterattack scenario from Squad Leader. "Sgt. Hamblen, get on that HMG!"

Nope. It has to be the largest retail collection of historical wargames anywhere. We're fortunate the owner Gord is a lifelong wargamer who happily indulges his hobby, even if it doesn't make the best business sense.
I remember that poor Romanian officer you had to use when playing the Germans sometimes. Rated 6+2 or something, it's been a long while.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #1075
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I remember that poor Romanian officer you had to use when playing the Germans sometimes. Rated 6+2 or something, it's been a long while.
Then there was our friend who got very angry trying to pick up stacks of tiny counters.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #1076
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is this also the thread for Wargaming?

I've decided I have too much money and not enough sense, so I'm getting on that train.
I almost - ALMOST - got in on Flames of War as I really enjoy WW2 type stuff. I think I dodged a very expensive bullet!
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #1077
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I guess expensive is defined by your income, but even so I look at some of these games compared to what I used to or would otherwise spend that money on and I still can feel guilty buying it. For instance, I can go fishing and lose $30+ worth of tackle in a single day, plus gas to get out there, food for the day, drinks etc.. I'm well over $100. Single hooks can cost me up to $20 for a nice Live Target. But then I look at a blister pack for Imperial Aassault and think Ahhh 15 bucks I dunno..

The one way I do rationalize it is I used to spend a lot of money going out with friends at the pub or bar, especially in my single days and early dating days. $100-150 bucks a night was expected. Now I can pick up a blister pack or even a brand new game, a case of beer, order pizza, play all night with those same friends and cab home all for less than that. To me that is good value for your dollar, you also now have this game to use in the future.

A lot of these games are a big buy in, especially established games, but if you can go at your own pace and spread that $500 or $800 out over a few years and then look back at the hours of play you got out of it with friends and family, it looks like good value to me. But I am speaking from the LCG's or games like Imperial Assault or Descent, I can't speak for the Wargames..
Old 09-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #1078
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boardgaming is a ridiculously cheap hobby. I'm hardcore - it's my main hobby - and I spend about $700 a year. Compared to the hobbies of some of my friends - golf, motorcycling, guitars, snowboarding - it's nothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #1079
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Boardgaming is a ridiculously cheap hobby. I'm hardcore - it's my main hobby - and I spend about $700 a year. Compared to the hobbies of some of my friends - golf, motorcycling, guitars, snowboarding - it's nothing.
It's funny to see people on Boardgame Geek forums agonize about whether they should buy a game or expansion. It's $25-$50 usually. You spent more on lunch.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #1080
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Boardgaming is a ridiculously cheap hobby
War Gaming is not!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote