Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #11801
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think it’s net money, chance of winning (or good personal success), then other factors like lifestyle (and the focus changes depending on point in the career).
Old 05-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #11802
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I really believe that the lists usually start with "Chance of winning", then followed by dollars, then location, then whatever else.
I think it depends a lot on where the players are from and where they are in their life.

Canadian players want to win a Cup and are more likely to play anywhere to do it.

American players are like Canadian players, but would prefer to do it in the U.S.

European players go where the money is and will play anywhere. I am not saying that they don't want to win (give me a team full of Swedes, Finns, Czechs and Slovaks any day), but they are completely uprooting their lives and everything familiar to come over and probably see it as bigger sacrifice and go to where they can most increase their financial situation. They don't come over to lose, so being a contender helps.

With some exceptions of course, I don't think most Russians care about a Cup. I just don't think it's all that prestigious to them. It's money and lifestyle. Any time a Russian free agent is coming over, you can pencil them in for an NY area team or Sun Belt team. It doesn't matter if the team is terrible.

And of course, young players tend to want the excitement of a bigger market more than an older player.

If I am being totally honest, if I was a player, I would target Sun Belt teams. I hate the winter and cold weather, and the seasonal depression that comes with it. If I lived somewhere with hot weather and palm trees, I would probably be happy every day of my life just to wake up there every morning.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-04-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #11803
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
^ I think it’s net money, chance of winning (or good personal success), then other factors like lifestyle (and the focus changes depending on point in the career).
I'm sure there's a certain threshold for each player where $$$ > or < winning, and of course it will always boil down to situation and the teams involved. A 2-3% net difference is unlikely to convince someone to go to BUF over TBL, though maybe for some it would be enough to choose a middling team like say DAL.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #11804
Mephisto
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What about this Trade?

Monahan + Tkazcuk + 2021 1st Rd Pick or 2022 1st Rd pick

For

Jack Eichel + 2022 2nd Rd Pick

Buffalo picks up more salary, but Hall is leaving so net better off
Old 05-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #11805
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
What about this Trade?

For

Buffalo should maybe throw in a young player/prospect, but I still would do this as is.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #11806
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think it depends a lot on where the players are from and where they are in their life.

Canadian players want to win a Cup and are more likely to play anywhere to do it.

American players are like Canadian players, but would prefer to do it in the U.S.

European players go where the money is and will play anywhere. I am not saying that they don't want to win (give me a team full of Swedes, Finns, Czechs and Slovaks any day), but they are completely uprooting their lives and everything familiar to come over and probably see it as bigger sacrifice and go to where they can most increase their financial situation. They don't come over to lose, so being a contender helps.

With some exceptions of course, I don't think most Russians care about a Cup. I just don't think it's all that prestigious to them. It's money and lifestyle. Any time a Russian free agent is coming over, you can pencil them in for an NY area team or Sun Belt team. It doesn't matter if the team is terrible.

And of course, young players tend to want the excitement of a bigger market more than an older player.

If I am being totally honest, if I was a player, I would target Sun Belt teams. I hate the winter and cold weather, and the seasonal depression that comes with it. If I lived somewhere with hot weather and palm trees, I would probably be happy every day of my life just to wake up there every morning.
I completely agree, but I often think that to me, it wouldn't matter where I play, cuz I would just be waking up in my mansion, in my gated community, getting in to my luxury SUV, in my heated underground garage, and heading down to the rink in my Tom Ford suit anyway. Then, when the season is over, my family and I can just head to our summer home in Kelowna/Cali/LV, etc. Obviously, perception changes when you're actually living the life, but I could easily play anywhere.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #11807
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I completely agree, but I often think that to me, it wouldn't matter where I play, cuz I would just be waking up in my mansion, in my gated community, getting in to my luxury SUV, in my heated underground garage, and heading down to the rink in my Tom Ford suit anyway. Then, when the season is over, my family and I can just head to our summer home in Kelowna/Cali/LV, etc. Obviously, perception changes when you're actually living the life, but I could easily play anywhere.
I agree to a point.
depends if you're married and maybe kids.

My wife sure as heck would want a say where we live. If she's stuck in some crappy small Canadian city all winter, that would not sound as appealing as living in a large metro american city or a sun belt team
Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #11808
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I agree to a point.

My wife sure as heck would want a say where we live. If she's stuck in some crappy small Canadian city all winter, that would not sound as appealing as living in a large metro american city or a sun belt team
There’s a reason San Jose attracts a lot of older players with families. It’s a great situation for them. Nice climate, nice community, no unwanted celebrity attention and, until recently, a consistently good team (though no cup).
Old 05-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #11809
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about this Trade?

For

I don't think Daniel has much value.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #11810
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I don't think Daniel has much value.
Walt might still have more in the tank.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #11811
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really think trading picks away in the 2022 and 2023 drafts would be a mistake. We are not one player away from contending, so why go all in on one player?

This team won’t be fixed quickly, because it can’t be. Take your time, sign extensions where’s there a mutual fit and build through the damn draft.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #11812
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I really think trading picks away in the 2022 and 2023 drafts would be a mistake. We are not one player away from contending, so why go all in on one player?

This team won’t be fixed quickly, because it can’t be. Take your time, sign extensions where’s there a mutual fit and build through the damn draft.
Brad Treliving: Challenge accepted!

Most on here know that the team isn't one or two pieces away from being a contender, hec they're more than one ore two pieces from being a playoff team. It's time for a complete rebuild because there really is no other way, the team simply isn't good enough. They won't though. They'll trade away picks for a guy like JVR or something stupid like that. This team never does what it should, they won't this time either.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #11813
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
hec they're more than one ore two pieces from being a playoff team. .
Holy overreaction. They had a bad year and underperformed like a few other teams in the league. Any other year they would have made it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #11814
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

You are competing with Las Vegas, New York, Toronto.

Calgary just doesn't measure up.

It's not just about having the cap space. It's about not being a place where these players want to live their life.
It’s the city and the travel. A player in Boston or Jersey has something like 25 more nights a year when they’re at home with their families and sleeping in their own beds.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #11815
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post

Normally yes but if that one player is Eichel you do it
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #11816
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s the city and the travel. A player in Boston or Jersey has something like 25 more nights a year when they’re at home with their families and sleeping in their own beds.
But then again GordonBlue's wife might have a say in it and not want him in her bed 25 more nights a year.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #11817
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I agree to a point.

A major factor for wives of NHLers is having their mom (or mother-in-law) nearby to help with the kids. With most of the NHL franchises in American cities, most hockey spouses are Americans now. That plays into where guys choose to play.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #11818
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about this Trade?

For

Eichel has 5 years of fair(ish) value.

vs.

Monahan has 2 years of fair(ish) value.
Tkachuk has 1 more year of ??? value, followed by ????????

Although our picks have a strong chance of being top 10, I don't think BUF would be interested, let alone adding a 2nd.

For Calgary, I'd do it in a heartbeat and I'd even ditch the 2nd if I can top 5 protect the 1st.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #11819
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A major factor for wives of NHLers is having their mom (or mother-in-law) nearby to help with the kids. With most of the NHL franchises in American cities, most hockey spouses are Americans now. That plays into where guys choose to play.
This is a good point. But that’s not so much a border thing, but a distance thing and would apply to all sports.

Do we think we’re seeing less player movement because of this? A logical outcome would be players don’t want to move from one coast to another.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #11820
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is a good point. But that’s not so much a border thing, but a distance thing and would apply to all sports.

Do we think we’re seeing less player movement because of this? A logical outcome would be players don’t want to move from one coast to another.
It’s a border issue to Americans. It’s just more hassle for mom to move to a foreign country for seven months of the year, or cross an international border many times a season. A lot of Americans go their entire lives without traveling outside the U.S.
Closed Thread