Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #61
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
In 10 years, this could be commonplace and legal minus the ridiculous speed.
Once self driving vehicles are improved to a point that they actually take over I don't think 150 would be a ridiculous speed. *a friend of mine* somewhat regularly drives 130-140 on stoney and has done 140-150 on the #2, he's usually not the only one going that speed. I knew another guy who used to make regular trips to Saskatoon, if he left early morning (like 3-4am) it took him 4 hours to get there. This is going on all the time by slow responding humans. I think 150 on the highway in a car with response times many thousands (millions?) times better than humans would be quite reasonable.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #62
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Once self driving vehicles are improved to a point that they actually take over I don't think 150 would be a ridiculous speed. *a friend of mine* somewhat regularly drives 130-140 on stoney and has done 140-150 on the #2, he's usually not the only one going that speed. I knew another guy who used to make regular trips to Saskatoon, if he left early morning (like 3-4am) it took him 4 hours to get there. This is going on all the time by slow responding humans. I think 150 on the highway in a car with response times many thousands (millions?) times better than humans would be quite reasonable.
I don't think those kinds of speeds will be safe until human-controlled vehicles are eliminated from the roads. Before then, it won't matter how good self-driving cars are; humans are too unpredictable.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #63
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I don't think those kinds of speeds will be safe until human-controlled vehicles are eliminated from the roads. Before then, it won't matter how good self-driving cars are; humans are too unpredictable.
and racoons, dogs, worn out tires potholes
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #64
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I am sure that the 140kmh mark was used with radar based cruise. So if a car pulled out 500m ahead going 110, the car would slow down to 110 and be a safe distance behind.

As Zamler said, there are some assumptions, some "alleged" things in the story, and some intentional or unintentional sensationalism in the article. The guy shouldn't not have his eyes in the road, set the cruise to 140kmh, but as also mentioned, the car would handle most situations more then one would think.

And odd that going 140km on the QE2 is not phone call worthy considering 30% of cars do that.

Cadillac and their SuperCruise driving system requires eyes on the road by having cameras looking at the drivers face. Don't think hand has to be on the wheel. Though the tinfoil hat brigade won't like the cameras.

Last edited by browna; 09-17-2020 at 09:05 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #65
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did they change the article? It says nothing about DUI, it says he got a 24 for fatigue, which would be driving while impaired, which makes perfect sense if he was tired.

Love the easter egg by Tesla, lights on accelerate!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:36 AM   #66
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our boy made the Fox News page....

Tesla driver, 20, charged after found asleep at wheel of self-driving car traveling over 90 mph: cops

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-d...ng-over-90-mph
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #67
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Also, I am sure that the 140kmh mark was used with radar based cruise. So if a car pulled out 500m ahead going 110, the car would slow down to 110 and be a safe distance behind.

As Zamler said, there are some assumptions, some "alleged" things in the story, and some intentional or unintentional sensationalism in the article. The guy shouldn't not have his eyes in the road, set the cruise to 140kmh, but as also mentioned, the car would handle most situations more then one would think.

And odd that going 140km on the QE2 is not phone call worthy considering 30% of cars do that.

Cadillac and their SuperCruise driving system requires eyes on the road by having cameras looking at the drivers face. Don't think hand has to be on the wheel. Though the tinfoil hat brigade won't like the cameras.
Speed limits have raised in decades, while car performance has increased substantially. For my first car to get to highway speed it was a chore. My vehicle today though easily cruises at 125km/hr. I don't think it would be taxing the vehicle at all to drive along at 150km/hr.

I'm not saying that from a safety point of view people should rip along, but vehicles today are also significantly safer than they were years ago.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #68
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

are tesla's really capable of driving themselves? negotiating curves in the road, stops signs, traffic lights and changing traffic?
Old 09-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #69
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
are tesla's really capable of driving themselves? negotiating curves in the road, stops signs, traffic lights and changing traffic?
No:

https://electrek.co/2020/07/23/tesla...house-to-work/

Quote:
Elon Musk on Tesla Self-Driving: ‘I can almost go from my house to work with no intervention’
The key part of this title is "almost", and this was the more advanced system that Tesla has not released yet. The autopilot function is meant to reduce the risk of an accident by working in tandem with the physical driver.

What this kid was doing was extremely dangerous.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #70
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Speed limits have raised in decades, while car performance has increased substantially. For my first car to get to highway speed it was a chore. My vehicle today though easily cruises at 125km/hr. I don't think it would be taxing the vehicle at all to drive along at 150km/hr.

I'm not saying that from a safety point of view people should rip along, but vehicles today are also significantly safer than they were years ago.
Not just getting up to speed either. Cars have better brakes than they used to as well.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #71
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not the cars abilities that you need to worry about as much as the design of the roads. I see lots of cars going 150+ here in Germany that I would never expect to be fine at that speed, but its the fact that the Autobahn is all controlled access (on ramps/off ramps) and people tend to follow the rules better. None of the secondary system has a limit over 100. Our Transcanada has crossovers and no end of places for people to intersect traffic and this is what makes it a problem to raise the limit.

The Coquihalla is a good example of a highway that could safely have a much higher limit.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #72
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I was just reading about this. That's a hell of an expensive nap.
20 year old with a self-driving Tesla.

I doubt he is affected by the cost.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #73
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I intervene a lot on the city streets. It will recognize stop signs and traffic lights, as well as traffic cones, bike lanes, etc, but I still get nervous when I have to pass a stopped bus, or if there is a bicyclist that isn't in a bike lane.

With stop signs and light controlled intersections, you have to tap the accelerator or gear stick to confirm that it is safe to proceed through the intersection, unless it's a green light and there is a car in front of you.

I do let it take exits for me, but I manually merge if there is traffic. For changing lanes, I will have to signal, but it will do the rest.

Curves were the scariest part to get used to, now I just close my eyes out of fear and hope it does what it needs to do. Haven't died yet!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #74
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In all seriousness though, this guy should lose his license for a while.

You would have to be a certifiable idiot to do this.
Why should he lose his license? He wasn't driving it was the car that should lose its license.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #75
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the two occupants in the car that were both trying to catch some shut-eye obviously changes the circumstances, but when I first read the thread title, I thought to myself that if a driver fell asleep from fatigue and the car continued to drive, that's probably safer than what happens when a driver falls asleep in a car that cannot self-drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Why should he lose his license? He wasn't driving it was the car that should lose its license.
Relevant:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #76
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
20 year old with a self-driving Tesla.

I doubt he is affected by the cost.
his dad might be
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #77
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why people are having a hard time figuring out what he should be charged with.

Speeding
Excessive Speeding
Dangerous Driving
Driving Without Due Care And Attention
Stunting (Alberta Bonus)

With the police officer testifying in a trial that the driver was fully reclined in the car while driving 150km/hour I couldn't see how a judge wouldn't give him the max fine for each offence.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #78
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I don't know why people are having a hard time figuring out what he should be charged with.

Speeding
Excessive Speeding
Dangerous Driving
Driving Without Due Care And Attention
Stunting (Alberta Bonus)

With the police officer testifying in a trial that the driver was fully reclined in the car while driving 150km/hour I couldn't see how a judge wouldn't give him the max fine for each offence.
Nope. Under the Traffic Safety Act, excessive speed is when a motorist is speeding more than 50 km/h over the limit.

Highway 2 is 110 KM/H in that area, so you'd have to breach 160 KM/H for the excessive speeding provision to kick in.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #79
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
No:

https://electrek.co/2020/07/23/tesla...house-to-work/

The key part of this title is "almost", and this was the more advanced system that Tesla has not released yet. The autopilot function is meant to reduce the risk of an accident by working in tandem with the physical driver.

What this kid was doing was extremely dangerous.
I believe freeway driving is done by a self driving Tesla extremely well.

In urban traffic it can’t always figure out every scenario.

Based on other comments I’ve seen from others, Tesla’s can basically drive from Calgary to Edmonton, with no intervention, perfectly safely.

I have a hard time calling this dangerous, because in reality, it wasn’t particularly dangerous. Not saying that the driver didn’t commit an offence - on top of the speeding. There’s certainly some carelessness there. Stunting maybe.

But again, the laws need to ready to adapt for the time in the somewhat near future where cars will be 100% safe to drive autonomously in all situations.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #80
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

What's the penalty for sleeping while supervising a driver on a learner's permit? That's about equivalent to this situation.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote