Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
icon57 The Athletic: Dube article

https://theathletic.com/544198/2018/...o-make-flames/

Talks about how Dube's early years in hockey and why he models his game after Brayden Point.

Quote:
And that, according to an NHL scout (one not employed by the Flames), is not a stretch.

“In my mind, he was a steal of a second-rounder. He could’ve easily been a first-round choice – and probably should’ve been,” the bird-dog said the other day. “He deserves to be in the NHL. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he stays there. I truly think he should. The Flames are going to have their top-six figured out – everybody knows that – but he could quite easily end up on that third line.

“His skating is something you don’t get every day. He’s going to be an elite skater at the NHL level. He can do things at a high speed, so he’s going to be a handful for anybody. I really believe he’s ready to start this year for the Flames. You can’t be anything but thrilled if you’re part of the Flames organization.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

pretty cool to hear that kind of thing from someone not associated with the Flames organization.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

At The Athletic subscriber event last night Dube’s future was raised with Cruickshank, Duhatschek and Hayes. Eric recalled how Jankowski had done everything he needed to play his way onto the team last year only to be sent to Stockton for a number of reasons - such as cap considerations, etc. He went on to say how this sent the wrong message to the veteran players at the time. Seems like a similar situation facing the team this year (although clearly a much deeper forward group this year).
Remember1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Remember1989 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nice thing is that this year, if Dube makes the team he's gonna be playing with decent linemates even on the 4th line. Potentially, with Jankowski and Bennett?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember1989 View Post
At The Athletic subscriber event last night Dube’s future was raised with Cruickshank, Duhatschek and Hayes. Eric recalled how Jankowski had done everything he needed to play his way onto the team last year only to be sent to Stockton for a number of reasons - such as cap considerations, etc. He went on to say how this sent the wrong message to the veteran players at the time. Seems like a similar situation facing the team this year (although clearly a much deeper forward group this year).

I always wonder how decisions like this affect the team and locker room. Janko should have made team right away on merit. But didn’t. If I’m a player, I want the best possible players alongside me.

Players know who is good and who isn’t. Friedman has been talking about a good NFL book about locker room culture and dynamics. How it’s toxic to not build the team on merit.

I wonder what would happen if the veteran players (like Gio, backs, JG, mony etc) got to vote on who makes the team. Would they chose Lazar for being a great guy? Or Dubé? Or Hathaway to help stick up for them?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really like this kids game. I see him becoming a better player then both Bennett and Janko. His hockey IQ paired with lightning speed and wicked shot is a very nice combo.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also interesting to hear that Dube singled out Stajan and Brouwer for helping him prepare this summer. Even though it didn't work out it still sounds like Troy was a stand up guy.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
kman35ca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Also interesting to hear that Dube singled out Stajan and Brouwer for helping him prepare this summer. Even though it didn't work out it still sounds like Troy was a stand up guy.
Ya I'm sure overall he was probably a great guy, and a team mate. Made mistakes, and definitely wasn't worth his pay. I think things just get over sensationalized.
And not being first hand witness's makes it hard to judge. I am glad he is gone though. But still wish him the best.
kman35ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks to the Athletic I actually enjoy reading on line content again. No ads and the writers don't have a word count limit which allows for much greater analysis. Easily worth 7/8 bucks a month or whatever it works out to.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I became a Dube fan on draft day when he was interviewed and said that he's sitting in the stands watching guys get picked in the first round that he thinks he is better than they are. And now he's ticked off an wants to prove it.

I remember that story and am just waiting for him to break in.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I became a Dube fan on draft day when he was interviewed and said that he's sitting in the stands watching guys get picked in the first round that he thinks he is better than they are. And now he's ticked off an wants to prove it.

I remember that story and am just waiting for him to break in.
Reminds me of Matt Barzal. Probably turned off some conservative scouts with his confidence. It's a win for us.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember going to watch Dube the year after he was drafted and he scored a hat trick vs the Royals with two highlight reel goals. I was blown away with his speed and ability to create by himself, I thought maybe my eyes might of been lying to me because of my bias but I couldn’t believe he was a second rounder. These are the type of picks that will possibly help this team get to the next level
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Hard not to get excited reading that.

Great mix of jam and skill ... and elite skating. He's pretty much becoming can't miss.

But when is still up in the air.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Dube can make the team and show he belongs in the NHL it may be time to dangle Bennett and a defenseman for a quality goaltender that may become available over the calendar year.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If Dube can make the team and show he belongs in the NHL it may be time to dangle Bennett and a defenseman for a quality goaltender that may become available over the calendar year.
Bobrovsky.

But seriously Dube is looking like a man possessed to get a spot on this team. With characters like Giordano, Tkachuk, Monahan, and Dube, it's hard to ignore the culture shift and work ethic this team is finally catching onto.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Last year during the world juniors, floored me as to the player he is. When something needed to happen the coach put him out. When somethin needed to not happen the coach put him out. Double shifting him on PP’s. Was clear to me that on that team, the powers that be knew what they had in him. Every time I’ve seen him since has been the same way. This kids gonna be a core player before he reaches RFA. Needs some pro experience but won’t be for the AHL long.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be surprised if Dube doesn't make the roster. Kid has been impressive all through camp so far, and seems like he's on a mission.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #18
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I always wonder how decisions like this affect the team and locker room. Janko should have made team right away on merit. But didn’t. If I’m a player, I want the best possible players alongside me.

Players know who is good and who isn’t. Friedman has been talking about a good NFL book about locker room culture and dynamics. How it’s toxic to not build the team on merit.
Two cultures conflict with one another: merit and seniority. I get a sense the latter is a bigger part of pro teams culture than we fans see. Rookies get treated a certain way. Veterans get treated differently. By each other, and by coaches, referees, probably even trainers. There's a hierarchy. You get a glimpse into it when the Cup is passed, and you see 3rd line guys who have been in the league 9 years get the Cup before 2nd year guys playing on the 2nd line.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-24-2018 at 11:22 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Two cultures conflict with one another: merit and seniority. I get a sense the latter is a bigger part of pro teams culture than we fans see. Rookies get treated a certain way. Veterans get treated differently. By each other, and by coaches, referees, probably even trainers. There's a hierarchy. You get a glimpse into it when the Cup is passed - 3rd guys who have been in the league 9 years get the Cup before 2nd year guys playing on the 2nd line.
Jankowski was sent to the minors so that Dougie could have his bro around
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #20
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Jankowski was sent to the minors so that Dougie could have his bro around
Possibly part of it but they anted Jankowski to be playng….something Freddie didn't do a lot of.

IMO keeping Lazar was more of a reason for that at the time plus the signing of Jagr and there was no place for him to begin the season.