Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #1141
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FiftyBelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #1142
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The liberal left has really made me sick to my stomach, this is my philosophy, liberalism but these people have become the opposite of what this philosophy is all about, trying to shut down speech, stifle any dissent.
We need to stop pretending the dogma that is ascendant on the left today is liberal. It's not. Taking pictures of people going to a movie so you can publicly shame them is about as illiberal as you can get.

Liberals have been left without a political home. If you base your political choices on who is more likely to impose dogmatic conformity on you, then it's pretty clear who your opponents are in 2018.

The adults in the room need to recognize the damage the kids and the identity politics commentariat are doing to the political left. In 1972, the Democrats in the U.S. were captured by culture-wars radicals. They handed Richard Nixon the greatest landslide in American history. What's happening in politics today has the same vibe.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #1143
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see this posted, apologies if it already has been.

Seth Abramson with his take on Peterson.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...10578836525056

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #1144
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We need to stop pretending the dogma that is ascendant on the left today is liberal. It's not. Taking pictures of people going to a movie so you can publicly shame them is about as illiberal as you can get.

Liberals have been left without a political home. If you base your political choices on who is more likely to impose dogmatic conformity on you, then it's pretty clear who your opponents are in 2018.

The adults in the room need to recognize the damage the kids and the identity politics commentariat are doing to the political left. In 1972, the Democrats in the U.S. were captured by culture-wars radicals. They handed Richard Nixon the greatest landslide in American history. What's happening in politics today has the same vibe.
I agree with most of this. That said, it’s unclear who the adults in the room are. Political and social structure is constantly evolving and requires strength to transfer between the left and right. Inevitably, it will always swing back to the middle.

If you look historically, I don’t think damage is being done, I think it’s pretty much on par with the course of human history.

Mostly, I think you see what you want to see based on your bubble. I don’t think the left is doing any more or less “damage” than the right.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 05-23-2018 at 10:16 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #1145
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Abramson makes some fair criticisms. Does he publish online elsewhere? The sequential Twitter posts are not ideal and even annoying.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #1146
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

Reading this essay over 20+ tweets is just stupid. If you have a message to send that's longer than 240 characters, people should be linking to a different medium.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #1147
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm probably still going to stick with the notion that the group that is rabidly trying to deny equal rights to others while committing actual hate crimes and violence at disproportionately higher rates are still the bigger concern, despite the hysterics from "liberals."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #1148
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Reading this essay over 20+ tweets is just stupid. If you have a message to send that's longer than 240 characters, people should be linking to a different medium.
I think people should probably just post to whatever medium they believe works best for them and grants them the greatest reach. If that’s a twitter thread, it’s a twitter thread.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #1149
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
This is all so messed up, the daddytoo movement in Iceland is simply about fathers rights in custody courts, laws. Its a legitimate problem that is systemic and I think many of us know how ugly it can get during custody battles where Fathers are most often the ones who suffer the most.
As someone who's spent a considerable amount of time in and among "fathers' rights" groups, they're not all at the different from MRAs.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #1150
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seth Abramson @SethAbramson
9/ Peterson is hostile to transgender persons—even regularly mis-citing data on such persons and on being transgender—because he holds an essentialist view of gender that originates in myth. So his postmodernism hides a retrograde philosophy. But where's his post-postmodernism?

This is really not correct at all.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #1151
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seth Abramson @SethAbramson
9/ Peterson is hostile to transgender persons—even regularly mis-citing data on such persons and on being transgender—because he holds an essentialist view of gender that originates in myth. So his postmodernism hides a retrograde philosophy. But where's his post-postmodernism?

This is really not correct at all.
How is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
“You know you can say, ‘Well isn’t it unfortunate that chaos is represented by the feminine’ — well, it might be unfortunate, but it doesn’t matter because that is how it’s represented. It’s been represented like that forever. And there are reasons for it. You can’t change it. It’s not possible. This is underneath everything. If you change those basic categories, people wouldn’t be human anymore. They’d be something else. They’d be transhuman or something. We wouldn’t be able to talk to these new creatures.”
I don't know how you could call that anything but essentialism.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #1152
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is hostile? He is believes in biological sex as determined by DNA?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #1153
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I think I'm probably still going to stick with the notion that the group that is rabidly trying to deny equal rights to others while committing actual hate crimes and violence at disproportionately higher rates are still the bigger concern, despite the hysterics from "liberals."
I agree, but he does have a point that parts of the left latch on to the cause of crushing that toxic ideology and use it to crush much more benign ideology that they simply don’t like.

That said, you could probably start a drinking game where a righteous “liberal” says ‘dogma,’ ‘regressive left,’ or compares a benign left-bias outlet to a right-bias outlet that was in cahoots with actual neo-nazis, and you’d get quite drunk.

“It’s basically Brietbart” is just a new Godwin’s law. It’s pretty funny to see people so adamantly against the public shaming of ideas and shutting down free thought and conversation saying Salon is basically a Brietbart, or that listening to Michael Eric Dyson is basically the same as reading Stormfront.

It’s just funny watching “liberals” unashamedly do the very same things that shout down the dogmatic left for doing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #1154
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

26 tweets in succession dealing with the same idea? Maybe look at having an article published.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #1155
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is hostile? He is believes in biological sex as determined by DNA?
Where in that tweet does it mention biological DNA?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #1156
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Where in that tweet does it mention biological DNA?
I don't understand how anything Peterson has said here can be considered hostile so I'm simply trying to understand where this is coming from
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #1157
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If you played the righteous liberal drinking game on Calgarypuck you'd die of alcohol poisoning after scrolling through a couple of pages of this thread.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #1158
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

I think this is a good point Cliff. I have expressed in other threads how a lot of what I see on these boards as indicative of the left is not my experience with liberals/democrats/the left.

I have been pretty heavily involved in democratic parties since I was 17. My first election was Gore/Bush in 2000. I have spent countless hours phone banking, doing door to door voter registration and outreach, attending party functions, running congressional campaign websites, running party websites, etc. And never in my time have I encountered the types of people I read about online. I say that not as a brag, but to show I have been exposed for nearly two decades to all sorts of people on the left.

My hope is that these people are indeed marginalized and my experience (over multiple states and groups of people) is indeed representative of the fact that they are not actively driving the left and/or the democratic party. The unfortunate reality though is that even if that is true, the right has already effectively branded the party/the left as nothing but these people we read about online. The left has to do a better job of publicly dismissing those too far left. If we are going to rail on conservatives on climate change for example, we need to also rail on vaxxers who are often to the left.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #1159
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
If you played the righteous liberal drinking game on Calgarypuck you'd die of alcohol poisoning after scrolling through a couple of pages of this thread.
I hope this was meant to be ironic.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #1160
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

a good discussion

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote