Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #161
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Um... No, but we can at least temper our expectations on him. He most likely won't pan out to be that dynamic 1st line elite center like we thought he would become.
What I'm seeing here is a bunch of posters saying he should not be playing centre at all and is too dumb to be offensively productive at the NHL level. That's not tempering expectations, that's shooting them out the window with a cannon.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #162
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
What I'm seeing here is a bunch of posters saying he should not be playing centre at all and is too dumb to be offensively productive at the NHL level. That's not tempering expectations, that's shooting them out the window with a cannon.
Hmm it appears you are viewing everyone’s posts through Sam Bennetts fathers glasses then. No one has said or implied that. For the most part the posts are saying that he has underperformed versus his lofty expectations, which is frankly indisputable, and given that we have an over ripe prospect ready to take a spot on this team perhaps it is worth giving Sam a shot at wing in hopes of finding his scoring touch while still playing his tenacious style game. Plus he’d get to play with much higher skill players which might complement his game better. I don’t see anyone giving up hope for Sam Bennett here, believe it or not you can criticize the play of a player and still believe in them.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #163
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Okay if people are saying that then they are overreacting. From my perspective, the long-term development of Bennett as a center is less of a priority than icing the best possible team right now. Monahan is only 23 and is signed long term. It is probable that the Flames will keep Backlund in the fold. Jankowski is 23 too and looks like he's going to be a top 9 C, if not a top 6 C.

On the other hand, the Flames D-core is probably at its peak right now. Giordano is still playing at a very high level and hopefully Brodie can continue his excellent play for a while. But Gio is fairly old and I'd rather the Flames treat the current and near future with urgency.

Rather than stubbornly force a player who struggled last year and is struggling again this year to produce as a center, I think they should shift him back to the wing where he has produced more and would play would more skilled linemates. The other benefit to doing this would be to open up a spot for a center in the top 3 and slide Jankowski in there. He should be on the team right now as we have heard that from the GM, the coach, and the vast majority of fans.

I don't think that the third line is any worse at all with Jankowski at center than they are with Bennett there. On the other hand, I think that Bennett would be a better top 9 winger than Ferland or Lazar, so there might be an actual improvement to the squad if they try it out.

I'm a Bennett fan and I still believe he will be a good top 6 forward. I just think they are too invested in him developing as a center.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #164
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Hmm it appears you are viewing everyone’s posts through Sam Bennetts fathers glasses then. No one has said or implied that.
No one said or implied that? Then I guess no one said any of the following things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
He's been passed over probably by 10-15 players in his draft class.
Quote:
Bennett has yet to show he can provide offense consistently. He can't get his shot off in the slot and lacks composure. Also bobbles the puck a lot and sees to overthink simple plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Blaming Bennetts line mates is silly. Good players make the people they play with better.
Quote:
Hindsight he is not the best player, not close. Nylander Ehlers and Pastrnak all look way better. Time to smell the coffee, he's been a huge disappointment. Thank god we got Tkachuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
A backlund style development curve for a 4th overall pick would be considered a bust in my opinion.…

You can't play him as a heavy minute defensive player, and he has clearly demonstrated an inability to produce offense that would justify playing him in a top 6 role at C, so where do you play him?

The penalties are a serious issue in my mind because they reflect one, two or three if the following: poor skating, poor hockey IQ, poor positioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The part about Bennett’s game that is concerning is his hockey IQ appears to be very low. He makes bad decision after bad decision and isn’t learning. His propensity to take dumb penalties means he is untrustworthy out there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Watching Bennett this season, it's painfully obvious that his hockey IQ isn't very high and lacks the vision to make plays with his linemates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't think he has the hockey IQ to be a good NHL center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I just don't see the potential for Bennett at center.
Right. Nobody is saying Sam Bennett has a low hockey IQ. Nobody is saying he shouldn't be playing at centre. Nobody is calling him a bust. And there is no water in the Pacific Ocean.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on. Well, I suppose CP has to have a whipping boy, but let's not pretend that's not what is happening.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #165
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
No one said or implied that? Then I guess no one said any of the following things:

Right. Nobody is saying Sam Bennett has a low hockey IQ. Nobody is saying he shouldn't be playing at centre. Nobody is calling him a bust. And there is no water in the Pacific Ocean.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on. Well, I suppose CP has to have a whipping boy, but let's not pretend that's not what is happening.
Ok I’ll conceed that maybe 2-3 of those posters are a little over the top but most of those are legitimate criticisms. He hasn’t displayed great playmaking ability as a center so far. He does take too many bad penalties. Other players in his draft class that were drafted afterwards have surpassed him so far. He has not produced at any higher rate than a 4th line defensive center over the past season. He probably does need a change to see if it can jump start his career. And none of that means he’s a bust and that there isn’t potential to get way better. Take the rose glasses off and assess his play for what’s it been and what it should be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 12:34 AM   #166
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Read through the thread again. A lot of those quotes are out of context to what they were responding to. Still get the general sense that while many are understandably disappointed in his play so far, there’s a belief that he will eventually succeed and many think a change of position might jump start it. He hasn’t looked good as a center and I don’t think there’s much argument against that to be made, atleast not honestly. And that’s all compounded by the fact that Janko pretty well did everything he could in training camp to win a spot on the roster and yet isn’t here because it’s seems that he should be slotted into 3rd line center. If Bennett were an Oiler there’d be a consensus that he’s a bust tbh, much like how people are piling on Pool Party here, a younger player mind you. It seems perfectly logical to try something different with Bennett now. Edmonton did it with Draisaitl with success, can’t understand why we can’t try it here. And if he did find success I don’t see why he can’t eventually go back to center if that’s what the team needs. Everyone still calls Draisaitl a center even though he hardly plays there. There’s other players in the league who primarily play the wing, Pavelski is one who pops in my mind, that could play center again if the team required. There’s definitely no reason to atleast experiment imo.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-16-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #167
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok I’ll conceed that maybe 2-3 of those posters are a little over the top but most of those are legitimate criticisms.
That only says that you, too, are using him as a whipping boy. Which makes it doubly amusing when you claim that I am making things up.

Quote:
And none of that means he’s a bust and that there isn’t potential to get way better. Take the rose glasses off and assess his play for what’s it been and what it should be.
He was in fact referred to as a bust in this very thread.

How about, instead of telling me what colour glasses I'm wearing, you just admit that people are in fact saying the things I am complaining about? I take no position about Bennett one way or the other, except to say that it is foolish to make absolute predictions about any player's career at the age he is now.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #168
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sayings 'it's too soon' is a time-honoured tactic on this forum used by posters who don't like to hear negative comments about players. It's too soon to be disappointed in Bennett. A year from now it will still be too soon. The year after that (if he still hasn't shown significant development), we'll be told 'why can't you just move on?' and talking about Bennett will be considered a Debbie Downer subject.

In other words, there's no legitimate time to express concern abut a player's development. It's either too soon, or it's dwelling on the past.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #169
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discussing stuff like how do people see some players future is exactly why hockey forums exist. Everyone knows this, so I don't see Jay Randoms complaints as honest criticism at all. It's just whining that people are expressing opinions he doesn't like.

I'm really tired of that behavior. Ignore and move on.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #170
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Discussing stuff like how do people see some players future is exactly why hockey forums exist. Everyone knows this, so I don't see Jay Randoms complaints as honest criticism at all. It's just whining that people are expressing opinions he doesn't like.

I'm really tired of that behavior. Ignore and move on.
Isn't the "whining" and "complaining" technically "discussing how people see some players"... which is why we are all here?

Although when two posters go back and forth arguing for more than 3 total posts, I get a little tired of it myself.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #171
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't see the problem with trying him out on the wing on the top 2 lines. I get how important centers are, but if he's a better fit on the wing then it helps fill a need for us - as well as freeing up a spot for Janko.

I mean if we had drafted a high scoring winger with that number 4 pick we'd all be thrilled right? Why not see if he's that guy? I don't see how it hurts us in the short term, it seems to work ok for the guy who was picked just ahead of him up north.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #172
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I don't see the problem with trying him out on the wing on the top 2 lines. I get how important centers are, but if he's a better fit on the wing then it helps fill a need for us - as well as freeing up a spot for Janko.

I mean if we had drafted a high scoring winger with that number 4 pick we'd all be thrilled right? Why not see if he's that guy? I don't see how it hurts us in the short term, it seems to work ok for the guy who was picked just ahead of him up north.
It doesn't hurt the Flames at all. This guy is not a top nine center in the NHL and it doesn't look like he ever will be. His undisciplined play combined with complete inability to generate offense at the position should be evidence enough. I'd rather the Flames have Bennett skating on the wing where there is less pressure on him, which also opens a spot for a guy like Jankoswki to get in a test the waters. This would potentially be a win win as both players may evolve into much more than they currently are.

As it stands now, Bennett might not even be in the league this time next year unless his game drastically turns around.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-16-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #173
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

He does have a low hockey IQ. Have you watched his entire nhl career?

He plays with his head down, doesn't use his teammates well and is always out of position. If a lot of fans are saying it and he's proving it on the ice game in and game out then do you think then fans are just picking on him for the sake of it?

Yakupov also had a low hockey IQ. It doesn't mean he can't be an NHLer it just means he will struggle as a Center. It's as if every Flame is perfect in some people's eyes and above criticism.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #174
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
...As it stands now, Bennett might not even be in the league this time next year unless his game drastically turns around.

Hahaha! What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #175
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

As it stands now, Bennett might not even be in the league this time next year unless his game drastically turns around.
Ok, this is the type of hyperbole that I think Jay has a legitimate gripe about. That’s an absurd statement.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #176
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think there is any doubt that Bennett is an NHL player. His skating and grit alone should give him a long career.

I think putting in some time back on the wing would serve him well. He looked pretty good there in the past and put up points. Frees him up to go to the front of the net and muck it up like Tkachuk does.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #177
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I understood the urgency over the past couple years to have Bennett at C when Backlund and Monahan were the only really good centers in the organization and knowing how important it is to be deep in the middle, but I think that's changed now that Jankowski is panning out beautifully at that position. They actually can afford to move him now, but won't, which is in turn holding the other center back from being where he belongs, in the NHL. They can kill two birds with one stone (that 1RW and a good young 3C), but prefer to continue to toss tic tacs at a single bird..

Arg, this management sometimes.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #178
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't buy into the "too soon" to criticize thing. When you're off your entry level deal, it's put up or shut up time for young players imo. Not to say that he's done developing, but it's time to start making an impact in the league now.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #179
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I don’t know that giving Jankowski 3rd line minutes would be throwing him in the deep end. I think he’s better prepared for the role than Bennett at this point. He’s three years older than Bennett.
Where do we keep getting 3 years older from?
Jankowski Born Sep 13 1994
Bennett Born Jun 20 1996

21 months older, not 3 years.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #180
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, this is the type of hyperbole that I think Jay has a legitimate gripe about. That’s an absurd statement.
You have to produce to be of value to your team at some point..... Not sure how that's absurd unless you're looking at him as though he's a rookie still learning the ropes. There's a very long record of players (look directly at Lazar) who have never been able to get the offensive game going. At some point the team is going to cut it's losses if they aren't willing to move him to the wing. I'd wager that point is coming sooner than later.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-16-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote