Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #221
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I never went to Boardwalk, what was good/bad about them?
I only went once. Basically it was Wendy's quality at fast casual prices. I think basically every other burger chain is better value.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #222
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Which reminds me, it was close by to a really good bagel shop. I hope its still around. I haven’t had good bagels in so long.
Montreal Bagels at Heritage and Elbow? It is still there, they got a new sign though! That is the most barebones operation I've ever seen and it will always be there because their fans (myself included) are so devoted. They are still cash only as far as I know, still a busy place on a weekend morning.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #223
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I live real close- and do the Superstore/ Co-Op/ Save on triangle for most shopping, Costco maybe once a week. No Frills is perfect to grab a couple things quick- Haven't set foot in a Safeway/ Sobeys in years, too expensive!
Wait, you go to Save On Foods and won't go to safeway because of prices?!! I find Save On just crazy for most of their standard products that are the same at every store.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #224
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For one their burgers gave me horrible gas
But just greasy bad fast food. And I can't believe that they claimed to use unfrozen patties.
Just horrible.
Which all could be slightly forgivable if they didn't charge mid to high end burger chain prices. I admit I went big on my meal for my first (and only visit), but I was at $23 for a large fries, milkshake and burger combo.

And it was very mediocre, and the fries were way too salty.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #225
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Montreal Bagels at Heritage and Elbow? It is still there, they got a new sign though! That is the most barebones operation I've ever seen and it will always be there because their fans (myself included) are so devoted. They are still cash only as far as I know, still a busy place on a weekend morning.
Oooh, been meaning to try this place. Worth it, hey? What's the deal with Montreal style bagels again? They're thinner or something?

And thanks for the heads up on cash only. I have no problem supporting those types of old school businesses (like the bakery by my house) but it just sucks when you literally order and then find out with nothing in your wallet.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-02-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:09 PM   #226
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oooh, been meaning to try this place. Worth it, hey? What's the deal with Montreal style bagels again? They're thinner or something?

And thanks for the heads up on cash only. I have no problem supporting those types of old school businesses (like the bakery by my house) but it just sucks when you literally order and then find out with nothing in your wallet.

Less “bready”, if that’s a word. Seems like most bagels sold in grocery stores are just buns in the shape of a bagel. Montreal and Wayne’s are pretty good. I miss Wayne’s having a place in Symon’s Valley Ranch. Argh… hope they get all of their old tenants back when they rebuild.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #227
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a huge fan. As was said earlier, they're denser and a bit sweeter, too. They're done the old school way; boiled and then baked in a woodfire oven. I don't have a stop button for these bagels. I'll eat three in the car on the way home.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:52 PM   #228
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

St. Lawrence Bagels on Parkdale Blvd NW also sell Montreal style bagels and is also cash only. Excellent bagels.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #229
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
We used to have the safeway at macleod and southland, but that's gone. The southcentre safeway isn't disastrously far, but at 8-10 mins each way, you're looking at a 30 minute outing which kind of sucks if you want to just pop out and grab something quick for a meal or whatever.
Yeah that Safeway is now a Value Village and the Brick next store is a Goodwill. Harbinger of the times!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:43 PM   #230
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There was an entire Northland Mall demolish and redevelopment plan approved by city council from 5 years ago but I haven't heard a peep since:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ncil-1.3479838
The Best Buy already cut the mall access and is under a big renovation at the moment.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #231
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are three types of bagels. Montreal, New York, and bread baked in a ring everywhere else. Montreal bagels are by far the best, boiled in water with a bit of honey and baked in a wood fired oven.

I am from Montreal, my wife and I went to visit and we packed an extra suitcase and filled it with 13 dozen and a brisket from Rueben's. The place on Elbow and Heritage is right up there with Bagel St. Viateur and Fairmount.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #232
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, you go to Save On Foods and won't go to safeway because of prices?!! I find Save On just crazy for most of their standard products that are the same at every store.
I find Save On to be like Safeway with a better bakery- good weekly specials, good meat dept, and a different happy hour every day with Wings, house made sausage, other items half price from 3-6 I think. I still buy most staples from Superstore.

If you're in the neighborhood for sure check out Montreal bagels- I think it's around $11 a dozen, totally worth it. Family business that's been there for over 20 years
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #233
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Youll never go back to regular bagels, sucks cause the 2 locations i know of are really far from me.

Bagels are so good i can eat them right out of the bag, no toasting no topping, just the best you wont regret buying. Think its like 10$ for a dozen
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #234
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
There are three types of bagels. Montreal, New York, and bread baked in a ring everywhere else. Montreal bagels are by far the best, boiled in water with a bit of honey and baked in a wood fired oven.

I am from Montreal, my wife and I went to visit and we packed an extra suitcase and filled it with 13 dozen and a brisket from Rueben's. The place on Elbow and Heritage is right up there with Bagel St. Viateur and Fairmount.
We went to Montreal a few years ago and picked up bagels at St. Viateur. They are fantastic but the thing that I noticed is that they do not keep very well. Fresh/same day they are great. The next morning they are still decent but anything beyond that the bagels seemed pretty terrible.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #235
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Boardwalk Burgers gone from Acadia. only went there once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Worst burger chain around. Good riddance.
I mean.....if you can't make a Burger Joint work across the street from a Junior High School?

I dont know what to tell you...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #236
jayswin

Exp:

Has anyone got bagels from this Montreal place on elbow and frozen them? Or do you want to just buy enough for the day you're buying them?
Old 05-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #237
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone got bagels from this Montreal place on elbow and frozen them? Or do you want to just buy enough for the day you're buying them?
I used to work right by there, they were really good as I recall.

Dont know if its still there, but right across the street is a German bakery and you can get great Schnitzel burgers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #238
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They’re best same day, but they’re still good frozen and thawed.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #239
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pro-tip: if you’re going to freeze them, slice them first so that they’re ready for the toaster.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #240
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Pro-tip: if you’re going to freeze them, slice them first so that they’re ready for the toaster.
This. I get them from St Lawrence Bagels (by Pizza Bob's) like 2 dozen at a time. Take them home, slice them, and then put them in freezer bags. Toast them pretty much every morning. Dempsters and the like are not really bagels as previously stated. Their bagel chips are pretty good too for scooping up dip or whatever.