Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #81
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draft is too critical for team building to host it while the season is still underway. Players are traded for picks every year and we all know this is where Treliving makes his biggest splashes.

Unlike the NFL where teams are picking guys that can be impact players next season in rounds 3 and beyond the NHL draft is more about years to come and I am far more interested in the trades than a guy who might help the Flames in 2-4 years.

2018 draft weekend was far more exciting as a Flames fan and we didn’t have a pick until round 4. A massive trade with the Hurricanes made it a huge weekend for us
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #82
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Next season will start. Just not in October. Probably December I bet
Other sports have much bigger tv deals. The NHL isn't profitable without gate, and I don't think we have "gate" until there is a vaccine.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #83
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Other sports have much bigger tv deals. The NHL isn't profitable without gate, and I don't think we have "gate" until there is a vaccine.
Agreed 100 percent
Old 05-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #84
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont think it matters or not whether the season continues or not, the draft will happen in June.

In fact I believe that this season is done regardless.

Pull the plug, let the off season begin properly, get back at it next year. No use pushing for a conclusion to this season when the U.S is in no shape ready for mass gatherings. If they had a functional government and were on top of this from the get go, then I say there could be hope.

No one should be so desperate for entertainment putting dollars or others health ahead of the greater good.

Look forward to a fresh start next year.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #85
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Dont think it matters or not whether the season continues or not, the draft will happen in June.

Pull the plug, let the off season begin properly, get back at it next year. No use pushing for a conclusion to this season when the U.S is in no shape ready for mass gatherings. If they had a functional government and were on top of this from the get go, then I say there could be hope.

No one should be so desperate for entertainment putting dollars or others health ahead of the greater good.

I thought the season was over until I read that the league has received more tv revenue than they've earned.

That puts them in a pickle and makes finishing this season without fans less of a loss than just nuking the season, and having to credit back their tv deals going into the next season.

For that reason I'm convinced they will finish the season ... but I'm equally convinced that the November or December start to a next season won't happen.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #86
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I really hope it's Jacob Perreault.

I was watching more about him recently after your endorsement.

I really like this kid. This kid is elite at so many things. He is good sized too 511 and 195 plus... RH... Great wheels, great playmaking, great stick handling...

but his shot is top shelf...great one timer too... legacy kid... and he does have some concerens with his defensive play but that's more about effort. HOwever, i'd take a mustang over a mule anyday.

another big RH shooter is that kid from the barrie colts Tyson Forester... RH good frame and big time shooter... plays center but isn't the best skater. Could be a really good RW.

This kid could be a second round pick but some team at the back end of the first round could really fall in love too. He's probably a late 1st round or early second round pick.

If sanderson or ghule fell, i'd take them honestly. We need those type of policemen that can skate in the league with this emphasis on speed and skill. IMO, both go before 15...hopefully we can pick one of Quinn, Jarvis, Or Perrault or Guenler.

But BPA is a sound strategy, yet dam would it be nice to have multiple firsts.

Our team weakness is defensive soundness, and right handed skill... There are no goalies worth our selection. Just draft russians late.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #87
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

I think there is just about zero chance the draft will happen in June now. Apparently there has not been any support from the GM's at all, quite the opposite. If the season does start up again we will have the draft after. If they can the season I think we get a draft shortly after the announcement.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #88
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m the opposite. I feel by midweek, they’ll announce a June draft.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #89
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I’m the opposite. I feel by midweek, they’ll announce a June draft.
How? If every GM is opposed to it that can't happen. The NHL is not going to force a draft the teams don't want. It isn't happening.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #90
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Early June draft. Might be announced tomorrow.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #91
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Early June draft. Might be announced tomorrow.
Want to bet?
Too many problems, too many big name GM's opposed. Like Yzerman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...-teams/sn-amp/

Last edited by dissentowner; 05-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #92
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also The Athletic has a good article on why a June draft is a bad idea.

https://theathletic.com/1791220/2020...l-doesnt-have/
Old 05-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #93
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the season was over until I read that the league has received more tv revenue than they've earned.

That puts them in a pickle and makes finishing this season without fans less of a loss than just nuking the season, and having to credit back their tv deals going into the next season.

For that reason I'm convinced they will finish the season ... but I'm equally convinced that the November or December start to a next season won't happen.
Agreed. It's a snowball effect as well.If the league and the teams and the players have to credit back tv revenue for next year, itself a likely shortened season as well, they'll be that much further behind going into the 2021-22 season for hockey related revenue and the cap situation etc etc.

Whether they finish this season and or playoffs or not has very little bearing on next season operationally (they won't start in Oct regardless of how this season ends and I'd be surprised if there are fans in arenas before Christmas) but financially it's huge for all involved as it will have reprcussions spilling over a few seasons.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #94
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
How? If every GM is opposed to it that can't happen. The NHL is not going to force a draft the teams don't want. It isn't happening.
The GMs work for the owners. And the owners are calling the shots here.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #95
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Want to bet?

J.D. Burke just tweeted it. Said he spoke to a front office executive.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #96
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes the whole timeframe is different because of this. No one wants to start the season without fans so the start gets pushed back as late as possible.

Which gives you all the more time to run a made for TV playoffs this year.

For the league it’s the best way to try and maximize both playoff TV revenue and gate for regular season.

Play resumes July 1? Next season starts January 1? Just guesses.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #97
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Want to bet?

The fact that Yzerman is against it, reads into how important the currency of draft picks are in terms of trade. If Detroit can pick no lower than second, you would think that he would be over the moon happy, but lets assume that he lands the #1 pick....

Montreal would salivate at getting Lafreniere, and overpay.

#8 overall (Anton Lundell), first round pick 2021 (protected) and Jesperi Kotkaniemi?

Having a draft before the end of the season handcuffs teams in long term building efforts.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #98
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
J.D. Burke just tweeted it. Said he spoke to a front office executive.
Then they need to announce the cancelling of the season too. There are too many problems with their proposal for the June draft.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #99
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The GMs work for the owners. And the owners are calling the shots here.
Yes, and I can't see any owner being on board with this at all. This literally handcuffs their franchise in so many ways. If I was the GM's and the owners I would simply say no. Go ahead and hold the draft, nobody is going to make a pick. This proposal by the NHL has too many problems, it is going to be a disaster!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #100
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having the draft after the season if it doesn’t end until September also causes problems
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good