Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #401
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As I said before the issue with being a Flames fans as everything around the Flames changes except the product itself. They have already lost their opening game and have come out flat after an extended break. Is it fair to assume that they are probably going to go on a little run soon that puts them atop the division only to gradually play worse as the playoffs approach and if they don't lose their playoff spot, in the first round lose to an opponent that simply wants it more? That's kind of been their thing going back to 2006.
This is why I just can't get emotionally invested in this team anymore. Even when they have one of the best regular seasons in franchise history they still fold like a cheap tent come playoffs. If they ever make it to the 2nd round again I might get interested then
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #402
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I still can't believe how lightly people are treating getting a puck flipped at you after the game's over. I've been watching hockey for 40 years, and I challenge anyone to find a replay of similar incident that was as blatant and calculated as that was.

Players don't just shrug that off, especially when it's someone on the winning team doing it. There would be an absolute sh**storm in the media if Calgary won and Tkachuk had done that to a Leaf. Especially if Tkachuck immeidately hid behind a ref like Muzzin did.

Absolutely friggin gutless.
Totally right. Disrespectful, potentially dangerous (although he didn't shoot it hard). Just a crap move by Muzzin. It's only glossed over because Tkachuk was on the receiving end. If the Leafs had an issue with him they should have done something about it in the game. He was right to be angry and I wish more of the Flames were.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #403
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

On reflection I liked more than I disliked from the team in both games.

Flames deserved better points wise.

Unfortunately in a 56 game season when all games are within the division, 0 of a possible 4 stings a lot.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #404
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the puck flip at the end was funny.

It was Tkachuk being Tkachuk'ed. No problem with it. He plays the pest game, plays on the line and should expect that people do the same to him.

By far my favorite player too.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #405
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

It was Tkachuk being Tkachuk'ed. No problem with it. He plays the pest game, plays on the line and should expect that people do the same to him.

By far my favorite player too.
Agreed.

I think Tkachuk overreacted to it. I guess hopefully it fires him up for the next matchup against the Leafs though.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #406
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
In football if you flip the ball to your opponent after a play it’s a penalty for taunting (aka unsportsmanlike conduct). I see this the same way here, although it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it in hockey (occasionally someone will take a shot after the whistle and a scrum will inevitably ensue). As mentioned previously, Muzzin did get assessed a 2 minute penalty here, as he should. Tkachuk was understandably upset; otherwise, take a number, move on.

The thing with Tkachuk is that he went after Muzzin which was fine. It was beating up the bench or the floor or whatever he was trying to hit, the tantrum and lack of composure that people find silly. He needs to grow up.

Even more so, he needs to channel his energy such that he is effective after he speaks to the media

“We are sick of losing the the playoffs” -> 5 points in 15 games career
“I live in the crease” - > 0 points in a loss and has a tantrum

He is a great interview (also hat flip), but needs to work on being effective after he speaks. You don’t win the game behind the mic
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #407
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk getting mad at someone doing Tkachuk things to him is great.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #408
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Totally right. Disrespectful, potentially dangerous (although he didn't shoot it hard). Just a crap move by Muzzin. It's only glossed over because Tkachuk was on the receiving end. If the Leafs had an issue with him they should have done something about it in the game. He was right to be angry and I wish more of the Flames were.
Meh. If it was a playoff series I could see using that for motivation for the next game but it's game 5 out of 56 and the team needs to get focussed on playing better and winning the next game. Tkachuk needs to accept he's going to get fed a taste of his own medicine on occasion and take it like a man not a child.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #409
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

At the same time though, if someone flips a puck into your chest after a loss and you just take it you're a huge bitch. Any self respecting player would object to that so it's no surprise Tkachuk did
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #410
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m astonished at the amount of people who think Tkachuk should just suck it up. Screw that. A team came into our building, beat us, and then a guy on their team rubs it in by flicking a puck at him well after the game. I’d be furious too and it would be embarrassing if he didn’t get upset about it.

What’s he supposed to do? Be a coward and let other teams insult him like that? I don’t want a team of pushovers. Look, I don’t think what Muzzin did was horrible or anything but Tkachuk should be upset about it and I’m glad he is.

Hopefully next time they play the Leafs he lights them up.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #411
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’m astonished at the amount of people who think Tkachuk should just suck it up. Screw that. A team came into our building, beat us, and then a guy on their team rubs it in by flicking a puck at him well after the game. I’d be furious too and it would be embarrassing if he didn’t get upset about it.

What’s he supposed to do? Be a coward and let other teams insult him like that? I don’t want a team of pushovers. Look, I don’t think what Muzzin did was horrible or anything but Tkachuk should be upset about it and I’m glad he is.

Hopefully next time they play the Leafs he lights them up.

Like I say, he went right after Muzzin. Didn’t suck it up. Good . That’s what he was fine to do

Then he had a tantrum on the bench. That’s not being a coward, that’s directing your anger in the wrong place

My kids’ kindergarten teachers would ask them to use colours to help them articulate and manage their moods. Maybe the Flames can get one of them in to talk to Chucky
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #412
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the score flattered the Flames. The first period was embarrassing and if the Leafs hadn’t missed so many opportunities then put their game in coast mode it would have been much worse.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #413
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
Tkachuk getting mad at someone doing Tkachuk things to him is great.
This is my issue...Tkachuk has never done this and if he did it would be front page news. I mean the guy was public enemy #1 in the NHL because he laid out a guy way bigger than him with legal hits 3 times in one game and then was attacked. After that he was criticized for not fighting.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #414
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This is my issue...Tkachuk has never done this and if he did it would be front page news. I mean the guy was public enemy #1 in the NHL because he laid out a guy way bigger than him with legal hits 3 times in one game and then was attacked. After that he was criticized for not fighting.
Yeah he gets compared to Marchand because they have equally punchable faces. But Tkachuk doesn’t do slimy #### like Marchand does.

The worst he did was toe tap someone’s skate who was off the ice, and he stood next to the teams GM on national television and apologized for disgracing the team. While Mantha laid atop Hamonic throwing bombs.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #415
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

It's kind of like shooting the puck at the goalie after a whistle...

that should always result in some sort of altercation

No matter whom it was shot at.

Good for Tkachuk for stirring it up, it was a stupid play by the Leafs.

I can't imagine if the play was done in the reverse order (i.e Tkachuk flipping the puck at a Leaf player... )

Last edited by flambers; 01-27-2021 at 03:41 PM.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #416
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap133684.html
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...=21&final=true

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #417
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was Kesler level of Douchiness...

I thought you never went full Kesler...
Old 01-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #418
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who thought the puck flip wasn't a big deal, I'm happy with Tkachuk's response on the ice, going after Muzzin. Send a message that you're not going to lay down, that's fine.
It's the silly theatrics on the bench afterward that were cringe-worthy (in my opinion). That shows other teams that they can get in his head.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #419
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if the Leafs thought he was a prack before...

Wait til next game.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #420
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This how critical these divisional games are - all 4 pointers.

Had the Flames won both games (in regulation time):

CGY 9
TOR 8

With the losses:

TOR 12
CGY 5

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 01-27-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote