Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #13101
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
What’s the reason?

I wouldn’t mind him, but it would cost Tkachuk to get him. Blues could roll with ROR and Kyrou as their 1-2 punch.
Thomas' year was derailed by injury, and did not perform up to expectations when he was in the line up. Nevertheless, there is a lot of tools to work with. The Blues need to ask whether Thomas is or can be a #2 center. Blues desperately needed a true #2 center. Schenn played there a lot, but the Blues don't have a #1 LW, so Schenn often moved to the top line throughout games. If Schwartz leaves as a UFA, then Blues need a #1 LW or move Schenn up and out of the 2nd line center spot.

Kyrou played RW all year, mostly on the 2nd line, but sometimes down the lineup when he was in Berube's doghouse and when Tarasenko returned from injury.

I think the Flames would be good trade partners for the Blues. Mony as a target for a true #2 center, or Gaudreau as a true #1 LW (or both )

Would not be surprised if Tarasenko wants out as Perron has taken his #1 RW spot, and he was annoyed when ROR took the captaincy.

My fantasy trade would be a blockbuster with the Blues
Mony and Gaudreau for Tarasenko and Thomas

Last edited by Canada 02; 06-08-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #13102
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You've been on the pure hatred for Monahan train for quite a while now. Whats the story?

You can't honestly think that there are objectively equal odds for a consistent player returning to form after injury vs an unproven early developing prospect suddlenly blossiming late after suffering his own detailed injury issues, can you? It's way more of a "spin of the fantasy wheel".
That's actually not accurate, I don't hate Monny. I do think he's been playing very poorly (at least by his standards) due to injuries. I'm not sure if he will ever get healthy, but we need to see if he can because I don't think he has any significant trade value while he's playing like he has been.

I don't think you've been reading my posts objectively.

I'm not really comparing Patrick and Monny, their situations are completely different, although Patrick appears currently healthy and Monny is obviously not. It's not like he was playing great, and suffered a season ending injury. I think he's had a number of injuries over the last 2-3 years, and it's slowly eroded his abilities. I think he probably should have been sat down earlier and given the chance to mend.

I do believe Monny is basically not tradable at his current cap hit until he proves himself healthy. So, I think the Flames keep him until that happens, which is likely after the season starts. At that stage, you can reassess and see if it still makes any sense to trade him.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #13103
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

“ My fantasy trade would be a blockbuster with the Blues
Mony and Gaudreau for Tarsenko and Thomas”

This seems like a sideways move to me.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:09 PM   #13104
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
He's from Finland, I don't think he cares about sunshine. He cares about being comfortable. He likes different things outside of hockey (seemingly mostly involving internet culture and gaming.) If a good coach can shield him and gett him playing consistent hockey (and nurse/protect him when he falters at the beginning) then he will likely remain happy and motivated. IMO a strong supporting fan base would make him even better. If a fan base included some internet culture, look out.
Not saying it wont work and if it did it would be fantastic I like what Laine brings when he gives a ####. But it could also end up being a "smartest guy in the room type move" to. He didnt like Winnipeg another Western Canadian city. He didnt like Columbus with a hard nosed coach. Now we combine Western Canadian city with another Coach that demands responsible play and think we have the elixir to get him back on track? We COULD and the benefits would be fantastic if we did. Im just saying there's definitely a possibility it blows up in the Flames faces to. If its all you can get for Monahan and he is poised to continue down this track healthwise then you take that risk though for sure.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #13105
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

perhaps, but the two Blues players might be a better fit. Thomas is a righty centerman, and Tarasenko is an elite scoring RW that the Flames don't have
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #13106
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

I agree with what Duhatschek writes quite often that sometimes sideways moves regarding talent and positions can be plusses for a team when it comes to chemistry and performance and that the league has become one where you have to win trades instead of doing trades that are even and help both clubs.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #13107
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
perhaps, but the two Blues players might be a better fit. Thomas is a righty centerman, and Tarasenko is an elite scoring RW that the Flames don't have
I think they’d only do it if Tkachuk was included and not Gaudreau. They’ve better odds re-signing Tkachuk than Gaudreau. Plus, Gaudreau would make more sense feeding it to Tarasenko.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #13108
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I suppose if you think Tkachuk is an elite LW you can afford to lose Gaudreau. I’m not sold. And Lindholm is a RHS C, so now you have two of those, which isn’t a huge deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #13109
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think they’d only do it if Tkachuk was included and not Gaudreau. They’ve better odds re-signing Tkachuk than Gaudreau. Plus, Gaudreau would make more sense feeding it to Tarasenko.
Tkachuk for Tarasenko + a pick? Tarasenko only has a couple years left on his contract, but could be that #1 RW that Calgary desperately needs, and you gotta think St. Louis would love to have Tkachuk (and he would probably love playing there). Not sure if we really need the Monahan <-> Thomas swap, Sutter seems to think highly of Monahan so unless his body is completely broken I think he can bounce back. I suppose from an asset perspective though trading in for the younger player is probably in Calgary's favour.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #13110
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
Tkachuk for Tarasenko + a pick? Tarasenko only has a couple years left on his contract, but could be that #1 RW that Calgary desperately needs, and you gotta think St. Louis would love to have Tkachuk (and he would probably love playing there).
Now we’re talking!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #13111
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chucky for Tarasenko had a very Forsberg for Erat feeling to it imo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #13112
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Chucky for Tarasenko had a very Forsberg for Erat feeling to it imo.

Deadline deal of veteran player for prospect.

Who is the prospect in your mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #13113
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm positive Edmonton will go after Anderson in goal. Anderson's end never worked in Toronto, but IMO he's a top 5 goaltender in the league, and if Edmonton gets him, he could singlehandedly win 10% more games. They need a legit goaltender at almost any cost at this point.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #13114
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm positive Edmonton will go after Anderson in goal. Anderson's end never worked in Toronto, but IMO he's a top 5 goaltender in the league, and if Edmonton gets him, he could singlehandedly win 10% more games. They need a legit goaltender at almost any cost at this point.
Mike Smith pretty much got them into the playoffs this year. But yes I can see Oilers going hard for Anderson.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #13115
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Deadline deal of veteran player for prospect.

Who is the prospect in your mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Promising young-(ish) player for a veteran. It's the kind of trade that will look silly almost instantly and will look even worse for years afterward.

I'm not against trading Chucky, but f we're dealing him, it has to be for someone 25 or younger. Acquiring Tarasenko, who will be 30 next year, for Chucky, who is basically 6 years younger and who has already put up a better season than any season Tarasenko has had, seems insane to me.
We're not close to winning a cup, so why would we be trading good young players for vets?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #13116
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Smith had a .923 this season...they aren't gonna get better than that out of Andersen
Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #13117
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Mike Smith pretty much got them into the playoffs this year. But yes I can see Oilers going hard for Anderson.
Really hope they do.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #13118
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm definitely on board with trading Tkachuk, not because I dislike him as a player but because I don't think he's worth $9 million per year and will take a 1 year QO and walk to UFA. I also think St. Louis is a perfect trading partner because of his family connections to the organization.

My targets would be Kyrou and Perunovich though. I feel Flames may even have to add, but if we re-sign Gaudreau, Kyrou could be a stud a 23 year C/RW who got 35 in 55 last year. And Perunovich could be the offensive d-man this franchise really, really needs. 40 points in 34 games at U-Duluth en route to the Hobey Baker Award. Would also open up some more cap space to take a run at a bigger free agent.

To St Louis:
Matthew Tkachuk, 2021 3rd

To Calgary:
Jordan Kyrou, Scott Perunovich
Old 06-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #13119
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
Tkachuk for Tarasenko + a pick? Tarasenko only has a couple years left on his contract, but could be that #1 RW that Calgary desperately needs, and you gotta think St. Louis would love to have Tkachuk (and he would probably love playing there). Not sure if we really need the Monahan <-> Thomas swap, Sutter seems to think highly of Monahan so unless his body is completely broken I think he can bounce back. I suppose from an asset perspective though trading in for the younger player is probably in Calgary's favour.
Taresenko is what Laine wishes he was. I'd trade Tkachuk for him and I think we'd see more goals. I think both Teams might also be into that trade HOWEVER Tarasenko has a full blown NTC. St Louis would really have to to talk him into it.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #13120
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Smith had a .923 this season...they aren't gonna get better than that out of Andersen
Them banking on Smith putting up a .923 would be a fantastically Edmonton thing to do.

No way they go in with Smith + Koskinen again. It'll be a new goalie + Smith, and Koskinen will be gone one way or another.

...although, I suppose I shouldn't underestimate Edmonton's ability to be Edmonton.
Closed Thread