Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #6421
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This team will be a pretender until they get better coaching and bring in at least one more top six forward that can finish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #6422
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So why are we discussing it like it's news?
Its a speculation thread and people are trying to guage his value.

Which at this point is similar to Lazar and Baertschi... a 2nd round pick
Old 01-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #6423
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Its a speculation thread and people are trying to guage his value.

Which at this point is similar to Lazar and Baertschi... a 2nd round pick
Okay so we want to flip him for a 2nd round pick then? This is the conversation right?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #6424
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay so we want to flip him for a 2nd round pick then? This is the conversation right?
That is correct - probably to an eastern conference team through. Do you think any team eould even want him?

Ottawa??
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #6425
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Yea he's only one of the most clutch game winning goal scorers since he came into the league.

This is such a fresh take from you. It's not like you have an ill-adjusted penchant to come here and spam your feelings on this one player over and over at all. Insightful stuff.

I look forward to your next subtle dropping of how you hope we win this cup this year by going all in without mention of the fact you continuously state that's not possible with Monahan and Gio as our top centre / d-man.

I don't think we can win the Stanley cup with Money as our #1 centre unless we overload our wings which obviously, IMO, is a weak point of ours right now. He is clutch, I'll merit you that, but the majority of those "clutch" goals were not plays being driven/and or created by Monahan. JG drives that line, and when he's not performing, the line doesn't perform well. Can people not see this?

Last edited by Ragnar; 01-25-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #6426
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So why are we discussing it like it's news?
Well, Mr Erick Estrada, like it has been pointed out before, there was a discussion about Bennett being a part of a trade for Stone, and then it was suggested he be traded for Hoffman which the Bennett fanboys jumped all over. So now were discussing how over the top the Bennett fanboys are at propping up Bennett. It’s only like 2 pages, not terribly hard to follow. This isnt a case of people just randomly bringing up Bennett to bash. It’s a case of Bennett being suggested in a trade (in the trade and speculation thread) and getting backlash for even suggesting that Bennett isnt going to produce huge dividends for the team over the next ten years.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #6427
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That is correct - probably to an eastern conference team through. Do you think any team eould even want him?

Ottawa??
Doubt it. I hear he's terrible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #6428
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You very clearly did not even try to follow the conversation.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #6429
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doubt it. I hear he's terrible.
Yeah, but we did give ottawa a 2nd for their crap.

I am glad you and I both agree. Cheers to that!
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #6430
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I don't think we can win the Stanley cup with Money as our #1 centre unless we overload our wings which obviously, IMO, is a weak point of ours right now. He is clutch, I'll merit you that, but the majority of those "clutch" goals were not plays being driven/and or created by Monahan. JG drives that line, and when he's not performing, the line doesn't perform well. Can people not see this?
People don't. Too much emotion around him. Good player, seems like a solid citizen, but at this point he is a complimentary piece, and that by definition is not a #1 center. If he played with more intensity, with his size and awareness he could close that gap, but that may not be who he is, or wants to be. You pay a guy $6 million a year and you're pretty much telling him, "we're good with who you are," and sometimes that thwarts professional growth.

I think Sean Monahan has a lot more to offer, not sure that he'll ever realize that potential.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #6431
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames need offence in the worst way. I’d gladly trade Bennett for Hoffman with whatever prospects are required to balance it out
Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #6432
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm losing faith in Sam, and I'm someone who preaches patience. But his offensive game simply isn't translating to the NHL. At best, he looks like a guy who will run around and cause havoc on the 3rd line and chip in offensively.
But he isn't showing me much promise that he is going to be a consistent offensive producer.
And given the lack of other pieces, if you can bring in a guy to address the offense, who is not just a rental...I think you consider it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #6433
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Yup, if Monahan's your top center and you want to be a contender then you have problems. He's one of the weakest number one centres of any team currently in a playoff position. Which is why I totally believe the rumours that the Flames have been trying to trade for other center help. People have mistakenly been reading into it as though it's an indictment of Backlund. Nope. The issue is with Monahan.

He's a really good player. He's not, however, a guy that you lean on when the going gets tough.

So what’s your plan for upgrading him? The true #1 you seek is only available via the draft at a higher position than Monahan was taken at. Might as well stop whining about our consistent 25-30 #1C goal scorer cause he’s not getting replaced.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #6434
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Bennett do anything really well? I don’t see any qualities that would make him a very good player in this league. He can’t create very much separation with his speed, has poor offensive awareness, struggles to create, cannot pass, handles the puck like a grenade, can’t stay on his skates, and has the finishing touch of Matt Stajan. Such a big ####ing dissapoitment.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-26-2018 at 09:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #6435
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
So what’s your plan for upgrading him? The true #1 you seek is only available via the draft at a higher position than Monahan was taken at. Might as well stop whining about our consistent 25-30 #1C goal scorer cause he’s not getting replaced.
Good question. The plan was for Bennett to emerge as the number 1 C. It's more likely he's out of the league or traded than him being a core piece now. So, there's not many palatable options.

Likely have to go back to the draft. Rebuild has stalled out at this point producing a bubble playoff team. Doesn't mean Flames still can't make noise but the field is tilted against them.

Monahan could also find another gear. But, I suspect this is the player that he is and that is a one dimensional goal scorer riding shot gun to one of the best players in the league.

What I always go back to is getting swept by Anaheim. Monahan was our best player that series. Unfortunately, he paled in comparison to Anaheim's best player, Ryan Getzlaf who not only torched the Flames but then went on to torch the Oil. We don't appear to have a player on the roster that can bust a series open like that. Gaudreau maybe though his playoffs last year was anything by inspiring.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #6436
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to take time for Bennett. You know he has the top end talent to produce in this league, we've seen it. No it's between the ears and needs to sustain consistency.
Other Flames patience was required:
Ferland
Backlund
Kulak

It's fine to be unhappy with Bennett right now, but I caution people against tossing in the towel. Far too early.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #6437
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's going to take time for Bennett. You know he has the top end talent to produce in this league, we've seen it. No it's between the ears and needs to sustain consistency.
Ferland
Backlund
Kulak

It's fine to be unhappy with Bennett right now, but I caution people against tossing in the towel. Far too early.
I do not see the top end talent at all on a consistent basis, he’s not a naturally gifted player with skills that are obviously noticeable. He has moments once and a while but so do most players in this league.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #6438
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I'm losing faith in Sam, and I'm someone who preaches patience. But his offensive game simply isn't translating to the NHL. At best, he looks like a guy who will run around and cause havoc on the 3rd line and chip in offensively.
But he isn't showing me much promise that he is going to be a consistent offensive producer.
And given the lack of other pieces, if you can bring in a guy to address the offense, who is not just a rental...I think you consider it.
I'd say the Flames' hands are tied at this point. What do you realistically expect Bennett to bring back in a trade? A 2nd rounder seems like the most probable value.

If he's only worth a second rounder. then I think you hold steady and wait for the reckoning, which is the draft + 4 season, next year. It may still be he puts something together to put a 40 point, gritty checking guy like Bonino or Cogliano. That upside is still more attractive than a 2nd rounder and worth the risk if he busts, which i would define as a player than he is now 30 points, useless in most other aspects of the game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #6439
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland
Backlund
Kulak

Those guys were not a top 5 pick though. So expectations are different, I want to see more from Bennett but I honestly see Treliving packaging him up in a deal.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #6440
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland
Backlund
Kulak

I'm not arguing for running him out of town, because I think he could end up being a good Cal Clutterbuck kind of player, but what have you seen to suggest that he has top end talent to produce in the NHL? That one 4 goal game?

I don't think I've ever really seen it. I see a guy who gets pushed to the perimeter and doesn't have the hands/moves to break into the centre of the ice (generally), and doesn't have the speed to beat guys on the outside
Closed Thread