Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #2581
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Ok. There’s no evidence of what caused the crash but that’s possible. So, distracted driving fines should scale to vehicle size too.
I feel like, based on the accident, a smart car would’ve killed this person, too.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 08:43 AM   #2582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I feel like, based on the accident, a smart car would’ve killed this person, too.
Looks almost like the truck went head on with the building. Maybe nodded off or driving like a jack ass. Really unfortunate for the pedestrian at the bus stop minding his own business.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:51 AM   #2583
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Greta should forget about Big Oil and focus some rage on these blasted contraptions:

This POS is made with precisely zero water resistance - making them last about a month of usage in the hands of children. They are priced low enough (via your local Costco) that they basically become single use. As a 'buy it for life' kind of guy - it drives me nuts to think how many of these end up in landfills....

Refillable bubble wands for the kids from now on....
Maybe you got a bad one? We've had that exact machine for at least 4-5 years. We always just buy the giant refill bottles to refill the solution.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:52 AM   #2584
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lesson learned, don't take the bus
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #2585
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
A Smart car would have trouble clearing the curb.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #2586
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
They will stop bothering you after three or four days. I was randomly selected this summer along with my kid. I ordered the tests online but I never bothered doing them. They called every few hours for either three or four days and finally gave up. Maybe there is a black mark on my profile for future travel but who knows?

Random road gear grinder is speed limit changes that make no sense. I just noticed that at bottom of Nose Hill Drive at the intersection with 87th Street the speed limit drops from 60 to 50 for 100m. It drops right before the light and goes back to 60 right after the light. It is also for south/west bound and not the other side of the road going east/north. I don't know how long it has been this way but today is the first time that I actually noticed the 50 zone. It is so stupid.
I wouldn't be convinced to tell everyone to laugh it off so easily. Your situation might be fine, but after hearing some odd stories out there, I was surprised to find out it gets pretty serious pretty fast.

I had a friend where something happened when she was in university and she got a black mark on her passport. She was in a vehicle where they were crossing the border and the others in the vehicle "forgot" they had a case of beer left from partying and thus the entire vehicle got marked. I think she said it would take like 10-15 years for that mark to expire. She lives and works in the USA with dual citizenship, travels back and forth between Canada/USA multiple times every few months and isn't allowed a Nexus card until that thing expires. I've heard similar stories about dummies who lied on the customs amount they were bringing back. These "marked" people often get "randomly selected" a lot as well. Easy to tell when you travel to Canada a lot with your spouse and you're randomly selected 40-60% of the time with a Canadian passport and literally 0% selection from the spouse who is 100% US passport.

I hope that these tests aren't something that would mark you. I'd be worried they could though.

Quote:
Ok. There’s no evidence of what caused the crash but that’s possible. So, distracted driving fines should scale to vehicle size too.
No... make pull overs scaled to the tax returns of the individuals registered to the vehicles like I believe they do in some of the Scandinavian countries. I occasionally run into these stories about hockey players who get these fines and laugh and cry about how big the the fine was, and how little I make in comparison.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:13 PM   #2587
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Those tests are dumb (my 5 year old was flagged, by the time we received the test, sent it back and was processed, it was probably 2 weeks later). But the "black mark" sounds like paranoia running rampant. Do you freak out when they swab your hands occasionally?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #2588
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove back from the Okanagan yesterday.

I must have missed the day in driver's ed whereby it's a rule of the road to accelerate from 75 km/h to 125 km/h as soon as the passing lane starts.

That quite literally grinds my gears.

Honorable mention to the jackwagon who raced me up the hill from Golden right into the clutches of the RCMP who had a radar trap set up just inside the construction zone.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:47 PM   #2589
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
No... make pull overs scaled to the tax returns of the individuals registered to the vehicles like I believe they do in some of the Scandinavian countries. I occasionally run into these stories about hockey players who get these fines and laugh and cry about how big the the fine was, and how little I make in comparison.
I do remember reading something about the CEO of Nokia getting a six figure speeding ticket... But that's a horrible idea.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:59 AM   #2590
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I do remember reading something about the CEO of Nokia getting a six figure speeding ticket... But that's a horrible idea.
I like the idea of indexing your ticket to your income. why is it a horrible idea?

A ticket for me would keep food off my table. I like the idea of a ticket for a well off person actually being high enough to make them think twice about their speed.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #2591
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I like the idea of indexing your ticket to your income. why is it a horrible idea?

A ticket for me would keep food off my table. I like the idea of a ticket for a well off person actually being high enough to make them think twice about their speed.
Are people speeding because they can afford to? And what’s the point of a speeding ticket; is it to punish the offender or redistribute wealth?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #2592
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Are people speeding because they can afford to? And what’s the point of a speeding ticket; is it to punish the offender or redistribute wealth?
In the latest episode of The Grand Tour they are driving in Finland and they mention the fines relating to income and they don't speed because of them.

It's supposed to be a deterrent. A $150 ticket means nothing to some people. Add a few zeros and that might change their mind. It appears to work if my example is legit.

'd be ok with this if there was evidence that people of means tend to speed more. I don't know if that premise has ever been investigated.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #2593
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

As the saying goes, if the penalty for breaking the law is a fine, then that law only applies to the lower classes.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #2594
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Drove back from the Okanagan yesterday.

I must have missed the day in driver's ed whereby it's a rule of the road to accelerate from 75 km/h to 125 km/h as soon as the passing lane starts.
I was coming from the Shuswap that day. Saw lots of the same thing. Gotta say though, adaptive cruise control is a godsend for those situations. Just sit back and steer and let the car try to figure out what speed the dickwad in front of you is going to choose.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #2595
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two factor authentication.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #2596
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the latest episode of The Grand Tour they are driving in Finland and they mention the fines relating to income and they don't speed because of them.

It's supposed to be a deterrent. A $150 ticket means nothing to some people. Add a few zeros and that might change their mind. It appears to work if my example is legit.

'd be ok with this if there was evidence that people of means tend to speed more. I don't know if that premise has ever been investigated.
I see a lot of people speeding in the morning and the worst offenders (going over 100 km/hr on John Laurie Blvd) are usually driving vehicles I would equate to below middle class. I'm not sure there's a big correlation between speeding and income. Sure a guy in an expensive sports car is likely to drive very fast but they are a minority on the streets and most of the speeders are driving anything from pickup trucks to Camry's.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #2597
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Two factor authentication.
I get being secure but it sure can be a hassle at times if it's say a family account and the authenticator phone number is the wife's and she's not around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #2598
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I get being secure but it sure can be a hassle at times if it's say a family account and the authenticator phone number is the wife's and she's not around.
This. There should always be an option to add 2 numbers and choose which on to use each time.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #2599
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I was coming from the Shuswap that day. Saw lots of the same thing. Gotta say though, adaptive cruise control is a godsend for those situations. Just sit back and steer and let the car try to figure out what speed the dickwad in front of you is going to choose.
Problem is I'd just like to get ahead of the jackhole that can't manage 70 on gentle curves. When they gun it on the straights it means few (if any) cars can pass.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #2600
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I see a lot of people speeding in the morning and the worst offenders (going over 100 km/hr on John Laurie Blvd) are usually driving vehicles I would equate to below middle class. I'm not sure there's a big correlation between speeding and income. Sure a guy in an expensive sports car is likely to drive very fast but they are a minority on the streets and most of the speeders are driving anything from pickup trucks to Camry's.
I would guess they’re mostly young guys who can’t afford an expensive vehicle. I would like to see why Finland linked fines to income. They’re already way stricter about driving so I don’t know if the reasons would apply here.

I do want to go back to my proposal that vehicle size (mass and/or dimensions) determining the fine because F=ma and we already scale it to speed so why not do it for mass as well?

I can already see from the reaction here that it will never fly. But it’s worth discussing. I’d like to see a legitimate reason against it besides, “but my truck!”
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: