Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #481
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know that people are cost conscious. But the benefits of such an even are huge and long lasting.

The construction boom and everything downstream would be a huge benefit to counter that last few years of recession. That's a few years of a massive boom.

The money that would come here around the event time would help local venues.

The infrastructure built or upgraded would be a benefit to Calgarians for decades.

Expensive? Sure, but if you think about, if we don't break even this isn't really much more than we pay for the bins (150mil per year from taxpayers). Just spread it over the next 10 - 15 years.

I would love the games here. Being in the spotlight, ability to attend and the infrastructure after? Sign me up. I am ok with a few more $$$ in taxes when it can provide 1000's of local people to make a ton of $$$ in the next few years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #482
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Bunk, I noticed you are hosting an event at Thorncliff. What’s this going to be about?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #483
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say "Sayonara" to Sion: https://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/v...-swiss-dreams/

The bid that was likely to be Calgary's biggest competition will not go ahead after local voters rejected it on Sunday.

Also, the Calgary Assessment Committee will be reviewing the Bid Book requirements this week. Here's a powerpoint presentation on it: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=51707

There's not any new information in this. There is an interesting rendering on Page 25 of a small hockey venue that is definitely not the Corral or any other existing venue I'm aware of in Calgary.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #484
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Say "Sayonara" to Sion: https://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/v...-swiss-dreams/

The bid that was likely to be Calgary's biggest competition will not go ahead after local voters rejected it on Sunday.

Also, the Calgary Assessment Committee will be reviewing the Bid Book requirements this week. Here's a powerpoint presentation on it: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=51707

There's not any new information in this. There is an interesting rendering on Page 25 of a small hockey venue that is definitely not the Corral or any other existing venue I'm aware of in Calgary.
I thought the biggest competition is Turin because its where they meet to make the final decision?
Old 06-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #485
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I thought the biggest competition is Turin because its where they meet to make the final decision?
No. The vote is scheduled to be held in Milan, but if the Italian bid is one of the finalists, the meeting will have to be moved because the IOC rules don't allow a candidate city to host the vote.

If anything, that makes it more likely that Italy will drop its bid before the vote takes place.

As it stands, the Italian bid submission was so last-minute that they haven't even decided which city will be the Candidate City. They also don't have any government support at this point.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #486
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d think if Calgary wants it, we can have it.

Leverage this to our advantage.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #487
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

Yup.

Stockholm and Turin/Milan/Cortina d’Ampezzo are still trying to get political support for their bids and there's a good chance they fall apart before September.

Graz was a late switch for Austria after the Innsbruck bid lost support and is facing its own local opposition.

Sapporo appears to be leaning towards pulling out and moving to a 2030 bid.

Going to a relatively small and remote city in eastern Turkey that would need to build new facilities for virtually every sport is not likely to be the IOC's preferred destination for its new cost-effective hosting plan.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #488
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's worth considering why all these bids are falling apart when local citizens have a say.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #489
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The IOC's sponsors are primarily North American, and they've been giving the IOC the gears over Asian and European games with low, low ratings.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #490
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I know that people are cost conscious. But the benefits of such an even are huge and long lasting.

The construction boom and everything downstream would be a huge benefit to counter that last few years of recession. That's a few years of a massive boom.

The money that would come here around the event time would help local venues.

The infrastructure built or upgraded would be a benefit to Calgarians for decades.

Expensive? Sure, but if you think about, if we don't break even this isn't really much more than we pay for the bins (150mil per year from taxpayers). Just spread it over the next 10 - 15 years.

I would love the games here. Being in the spotlight, ability to attend and the infrastructure after? Sign me up. I am ok with a few more $$$ in taxes when it can provide 1000's of local people to make a ton of $$$ in the next few years.
Thanks for this. I haven't read every post in this thread but this is one of the few that gives a bit better perspective on the "pro" side.

I'm still against it despite watching as much of the olympics as possible every two years. Ticket prices will likely be pricey, and a lot of the sports aren't particularly spectator friendly anyway.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #491
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

We are building an arena, and the IOC's paying for it!!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #492
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like we should have a pretty good idea about what they're looking at for venues and cost by the end of the month...

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2018/...lympic_11.html
Quote:
June is an important month for Calgary’s potential bid on the 2026 Games. Here are some project milestones:
  • June 8-10: Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) Board meeting in Banff: Calgary Mayor and BidCo Chair attending.
  • June 19: IOC-Calgary bid team meeting in Switzerland. One City employees are expected to attend; the IOC is funding the trip.June 23: COC decides whether to endorse Calgary’s bid.
  • June 25: Regular Meeting of Council: government submission review.
  • June 30: Deadline to submit government submission: details the operating and capital costs of the 2026 Games; mission, vision and value of the 2026 Games; Games concept: venues and locations; governance; communications; Bid Corporation; risks and mitigation; and milestone schedule.
  • July-August 2018: Committee meetings continue, as required.
  • July-August 2018: Government submission analysis and multi-party agreement negotiations for 2026 Games cost to The City and the governments of Canada and Alberta.
  • September 2018: Multi-party agreement results, including cost of the Games and who is paying what amount.
  • October 2018: IOC formally invites cities to bid on the 2026 Games (candidature stage)
  • November 2018: Calgary plebiscite: citizens vote on whether or not Calgary should bid on the 2026 Games.
  • January 11, 2019: IOC deadline to submit Bid Book.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #493
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Probably posted already, but why the 'Determine by Plebiscite' option? You can be yes or no, and yes or no to plebiscite.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #494
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Probably posted already, but why the 'Determine by Plebiscite' option? You can be yes or no, and yes or no to plebiscite.
To find out whether most people are yes... or no...
Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #495
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The IOC's sponsors are primarily North American, and they've been giving the IOC the gears over Asian and European games with low, low ratings.
True story: The ratings for 2012 in London were much better than for 2016 in Rio, despite Rio obviously being clearly better far as getting live events in US primetime. Cord cutting and the growing irrelevancy of the Olympics (a part that really should be talked about more) are far greater factors. Nevermind that NBC doesn't even show most events live, but that's what the sponsors actually want.

Anyway congrats to the Swiss people, another Olympic bid that fails when put to the general public. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe every plebiscite has failed now, or at least every recent one has failed. Here's hoping Calgary joins the list, my dream of no bids is coming closer to fruition.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #496
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
To find out whether most people are yes... or no...
And based on the results right now, you don't have that answer. 11% of the vote is for plebiscite, which is also more than the difference between yes or no. Yes or no in this poll would have given that certainty. Currently, the poll is wrong.

Two polls, one with yes/no and the other to pick plebiscite or city council or mayor would have been appropriate.

Reminds me of hockey pools that include wins-losses*shutouts to score goalies.

The poll could have asked for a) yes b) no c) Oilers suck, it would create a similar error as this poll.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #497
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The reason I asked for that third option was to allow for people (such as myself) that are ok with Yes or No, as long as it was determined by plebiscite. Yes is a hard Yes. No is a hard No. Determine by Plebiscite is Whatever the Majority Votes For. AKA, majority rules, or in more simple terms, democracy.

Nothing wrong with any answer. Just that some people have their opinion, but are willing to concede to the majority vote.

Chill, Nage.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #498
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
The reason I asked for that third option was to allow for people (such as myself) that are ok with Yes or No, as long as it was determined by plebiscite. Yes is a hard Yes. No is a hard No. Determine by Plebiscite is Whatever the Majority Votes For. AKA, majority rules, or in more simple terms, democracy.

Nothing wrong with any answer. Just that some people have their opinion, but are willing to concede to the majority vote.

Chill, Nage.
I understand your point, but it muddied your results. If you were curious how many would vote Y/N, you didn't really get that answer.

Nothing to chill about, just pointing out the math.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #499
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think it makes it pretty clear that there are yesses, nos, and people that swing the vote. If you want a scientific poll, call Ipsos. This is Calgarypuck. It's a general sentiment.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #500
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
And based on the results right now, you don't have that answer. 11% of the vote is for plebiscite, which is also more than the difference between yes or no. Yes or no in this poll would have given that certainty. Currently, the poll is wrong.

Two polls, one with yes/no and the other to pick plebiscite or city council or mayor would have been appropriate.

Reminds me of hockey pools that include wins-losses*shutouts to score goalies.

The poll could have asked for a) yes b) no c) Oilers suck, it would create a similar error as this poll.
I think you may have struck gold with this one. I vote we add this option to every poll going forward!
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread