Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #11001
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
And this begs the question - how much did moving his brother out piss him off?
Maybe he demands a trade to arizona then...lol
Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #11002
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think it makes for an interesting conversation. Personally (as noted a few posts back) I don't think Hamilton moves but I wouldn't be surprised if Brodie or a prospect does. That being said, we haven't approached this from the other angle. What if someone wants out? What if it were Hamilton?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #11003
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think it makes for an interesting conversation. Personally (as noted a few posts back) I don't think Hamilton moves but I wouldn't be surprised if Brodie or a prospect does. That being said, we haven't approached this from the other angle. What if someone wants out? What if it were Hamilton?
True and interesting. No matter what I think we have to move a d to upgrade our top 6. Not to mention the kids need to step in this year and next. Really we may see some exciting moves that could give the team some real balance.

May even let us forget about the draft
Old 04-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #11004
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what this organization needs is a system change incorporating the defence more in generating offence - something that Peters seems to be on board with. The other thing they need (setting aside the PP for now - we can all agree on the importance of hiring an assistant with a good mind for a PP), is hiring an assistant that has a track record of making defencemen play better.

Maybe that's Yawney. Maybe that's Playfair. I don't know. Maybe Peters is enough. What I do know for sure is that the Calgary Flames have a penchant for allowing way too many glorious chances against. Too many breakaways, too many odd-man rushes.

I am not convinced this team NEEDS to trade a defencemen for a forward in order to score more goals. I think revising the system should lead to that. I think the Flames left a lot of points on the table last season because they didn't involve the defencemen more - I think the defencemen not only should have put more points on the board, but they would have directly impacted the offence for the bottom lines with 'third assists' (started the quick transition, helped to provide confusion, etc).

I have become much more interested in who the Flames hire to help Peters more than what blockbuster trade the Flames may make. I don't love Hamilton, but I do think that removing him makes this group weaker. Giordano is the most underrated defencemen in the NHL - I can't name another defencemen that has that much of an impact on his partners AND plays absolutely solid in all zones. Brodie is a whipping boy, but I think it is exaggerated. Even so, Brodie when he is playing well has such a presence on this team and is by far the most dynamic defencemen - get him playing consistently well again, and it becomes a huge shot in the arm.

If there is one defencemen that I would't mind traded it is Stone. I am not sure if Andersson is ready for a full-time gig - lots of defencemen entering the league look fantastic and then kind of slow down a lot (though I think his speed might be a weakness that he needs to improve), but I am a believer in Andersson + Kylington + Valimaki and even Wotherspoon if he is retained by the organization (which is doubtful, but who knows for sure). Fox is going back to the NCAA, so he isn't in the conversation for this season.

Kulak has a full season now of experience, and I though he didn't put up many points (a theme under the old regime, but that may be unfair given Kulak's experience), I thought he exceeded expectations with his decent defensive play and his ability to move the puck up the ice with such poise. I think he can anchor a third pairing IF that pairing is somewhat sheltered to start. Kylington would be my choice there - I think he out-performed Andersson in last season's training camp, and his speed is flat-out amazing. This team needs to play faster, and having a bottom pairing like Kulak - Kylington (assuming Peters isn't dead-set on R-L pairings) would be great I think.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #11005
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gio isn't going anywhere. Mid 30s and as fit and healthy as guys 10 years younger. He's a genetic freak. Flames lucked out with him.

Agree that if they trade a D its going to Brodie and/or one of the kids.
Yeah, I think Brodie is the most-likely of the top-4 to be moved.

I could also see Stone getting moved, especially if there's a deal available with Ottawa. The Sens might think that having Michael in the system would make negotiations with Mark a little easier (and the Sens will need some d-men, especially if they move Karlsson and don't win the lottery to get Dahlin).
Old 04-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #11006
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree Clagary4life, Stone makes the most sense to get traded, it makes room for Anderson, and frees some cap room. Most importantly I think that he would get some fair value on a RW. I am a big fan of Stone. Still, he is the most prudent choice.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 04-27-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #11007
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And this begs the question - how much did moving his brother out piss him off?
A lot, hopefully.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #11008
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I agree Clagary4life, Stone makes the most sense to get traded, it makes room for Anderson, and frees some cap room. Most importantly I think that he would get some fair value on a RW. I am a big fan of Stone. Still, he is the most prudent choice.
Stone could be a difficult contract to move let alone getting a quality return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #11009
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
$3.5 mil per for 2 years? For a guy who can play Top 4 minutes. I really don't think that is a difficult contract to move.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #11010
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You are under valuing stone.

3.5M for the next two seasons at 27 is not a bad contract at all. In terms of return, solid defencemen get good value. Stone is a good d man he is a 3-4 guy on a lot of teams. He is responsible in his own zone, does not take many penalties. He is a big body that moves well, with a right shot. Is he going to make a block buster trade? No. But he is a valid option for management when they discuss trades from a position of strength for help in a position of weakness. Again, if the value return isn't there, then I don't think the Flames move him because he is good at his job, and is an asset for the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #11011
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know which Stone people watched this season, but a 3-4 defenceman? He played like a 6-7 this year, and at times that's being generous.

The Flames would be lucky to give him away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #11012
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would rather the Flames move on from Brodie, Stone is vastly underrated and the Flames have a lot skilled defensemen coming up in the system.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #11013
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I don't know which Stone people watched this season, but a 3-4 defenceman? He played like a 6-7 this year, and at times that's being generous.

I think you've misconstrued what I said. Obviously Stone isn't a top four guy on the Flames, or several other NHL teams. That being said, there are many teams that do not have good Defensive depth and could use a stay at home D-man like Stone, there are likely 8 or 9 teams that could really use Stone on their second pairing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #11014
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I think Stone is a number 4 in the NHL. Some teams he’s a 5, some teams he’s a 3, most teams he’s a 4. I could go through a list of teams where he is a top 4 dman. I’m not sure where he fits into the Flames plans though, as we have 4 dmen better than him and lots of guys on their way up
Old 04-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #11015
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think you've misconstrued what I said. Obviously Stone isn't a top four guy on the Flames, or several other NHL teams. That being said, there are many teams that do not have good Defensive depth and could use a stay at home D-man like Stone, there are likely 8 or 9 teams that could really use Stone on their second pairing.
Like the Leafs.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #11016
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Like the Leafs.
That's interesting. There has been a lot of speculation on this forum about a possible trade-fit between the Flames and the Leafs, and most of these have centred on deals around Brodie. But I think you are right—Stone fits better with what Toronto is probably looking for. I wonder if there could be something constructed around Stone and Kapanen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #11017
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's interesting. There has been a lot of speculation on this forum about a possible trade-fit between the Flames and the Leafs, and most of these have centred on deals around Brodie. But I think you are right—Stone fits better with what Toronto is probably looking for. I wonder if there could be something constructed around Stone and Kapanen.
I think that is a pipe dream. I think we would be lucky to recoup the 3rd and 5th round pick Treliving paid to acquire him. Kapanen would be a huge pickup if Stone was the main piece going the other way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #11018
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Micheal Stone literally was our 4th defense man just two seasons ago and looked fine doing it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #11019
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Called it:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=1111

Heard that from the same source as the Tavares rumour. This gives me more confidence that the following is true and we will see the Flames make a big play to bring him in.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...ostcount=10712

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I have to think that if the Islanders ultimately cannot sign Tavares, which seems likely at this point, that the Flames have to like their chances on signing him if they are willing to spend the cash.

I believe/know three things, that Tavares wants to win, wants to play in Canada, and is best friends with Hamonic.. I see the Flames as the only Canadian team that really makes sense as Tavares doesn’t seem like someone who would be comfortable in the TO fishbowl. . If my rational proves true, certainly would change the dynamic of the team and give some interesting line combinations.

Gaudreau-Tavares-Ferland
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk

So the same source that told Rasta Masta that Burke was stepping down, also provided this information about Tavares.

That really is interesting.

Flames would likely have to move out Stone, and buyout Brouwer to make it happen but if they did that and then filled the rest of the roster with guys on an ELC they could probably offer up to a $10M per season contract.

Gaudreau - Tavares - Bennett
Tkachuk - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Shore - Foo
Lazar - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Kylington

Smith
Rittich

That roster would have a cap hit of about $74M for your 23 man roster if you signed Tavares to a $10M per season contract.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-27-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #11020
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Micheal Stone literally was our 4th defense man just two seasons ago and looked fine doing it.
And he looked bad as a bottom pairing this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread