Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #21
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
FYI, Carolina was not some sort of Cinderella team. They won their division and were 4th in the league, and second in the East, with 112 points that year. Cinderella teams can go far...but they almost never win.
Guess I remember them not being that good because they almost lost to that dumpster fire.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Winning the cup is hard. The Flames have a chance to be a contender, but it does take a few more things going right. To be a real contender, I think they need:
  1. One more forward (Bennet, Jankowski, Lindholm ...) to breakout.
  2. Hanifin to workout and grow as planned.
  3. One defense prospect (Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson) to turn out well enough to take a top 3 position on the team.
  4. Above average goaltending for the contention period.
If all that happens, then the Flames are in great shape. If none happen then a similar fate as the Wild does seems quite likely. All comes down to what you think our odds are on those.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see a team relying on Mike Smith and Rittich/Gillies going all the way. If we're being honest, the Flames are still a goaltender and an elite forward away from being a true contender.

Agree with one of the previous comments that Bennett trending towards dud status really set the team back.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I can't see a team relying on Mike Smith and Rittich/Gillies going all the way. If we're being honest, the Flames are still a goaltender and an elite forward away from being a true contender.

Agree with one of the previous comments that Bennett trending towards dud status really set the team back.
Smith looked very consistent to me last year. Assuming he continues his strong play and the team in front of him is more consistent, I don't see an issue there.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Anyone can win if they get in (Carolina) but I think we are still one big piece away. An elite goalie would do the trick, Smith is great when he is in the zone but he's no spring chicken.
I think a better example is LA, I think they were the 8th seed for their first win and just steamrolled their way to the Cup after that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Bennett and Jankowski develop into 2nd line players we will be a team to be reckoned with.

Goaltending needs some long term clarity but Treliving has been fairly active on that front so I'm sure he will fix it if it becomes a problem - hopefully at a reasonable cost.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #27
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are lacking a goalie but I don't think they need an elite game-breaking forward to contend. The Preds are considered contenders, but I'd take Gaudreau over any of their forwards.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #28
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope they are contenders this year. But I do agree that if they can make the playoffs they are missing the true game breaker that the opposition are worried when "he" jumps over the boards. The Flames are contenders like the Blues, Preds, Knights... but I still think they are second tier because they are missing the type of player like Crosby/Kane/Kopitar/OV/Getzlaf...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Gaudreau is a game breaking forward. With an actual top 6 RW, he will play to his potential. He was pretty amazing at the 2017 World Cup.

He's a very unique player in this league. He just needs more than one passing option.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the goaltending works playoffs are a possibility, but being a Flames fan when they were cup contenders, this team is not a cup contender unless they go on a fluke run like in 2004, when everything comes together at the right time. If the Flames are lucky they may win a playoff round.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #31
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe? I do think we’re going to miss Hamilton a lot more than people realize. I’m still not overly thrilled with that trade.

Bennett not developing so far is also really hurting. I’m not convinced we’ll be contending for any presidents trophies any time soon.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #32
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. Maybe not this year, but definitely within the next 2 or 3.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #33
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The question is, objectively, are the Flames better than Nashville, Winnipeg, Anaheim and Vegas in the West?

Also goaltending is a big concern. Need it for deep playoff runs....
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the team is capable of a run, but would need to have a lot of things go right for them in order to win the whole thing. I see them as part of a rather large group of teams in that boat.
I don't see a lot of elite teams in the league: Tampa, Boston, Nashville, Washington are the teams I would put at the top.
I'm not as optimistic about the Leafs or Jets as some fans
McDerpyDoo scares the crap out of me, but I do think the Oilers simply have too many holes to be a threat. If Talbot can find his game, they are more scary.

For the Flames...I'm not completely confident in the goal tending or the ability of some of the core to step up in the playoffs.
I think they will be a lot of fun to watch this year though, should make the playoffs, and then could make some noise.
In terms of % probability the win the whole thing, I would say about 5%.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
The question is, objectively, are the Flames better than Nashville, Winnipeg, Anaheim and Vegas in the West?

Also goaltending is a big concern. Need it for deep playoff runs....
Nashville is a cut above.
Winnipeg I'm not as high on as many.
Anaheim, god willing will start to drop off.
Vegas - who knows what they do this year.

The West is just a big 'ol mess in my view.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have a better team than Anaheim and Vegas...Preds/Jets? Not yet but maybe at some point. Jets roster is gonna take some hits in the coming years.

Who was calling Washington a year ago...are they the best team in the league? Sometimes it just all comes together.

Maybe is the right answer...Forward depth has greatly improved
Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #37
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Flames will contend for a playoff spot but that's about it.

Goaltending is my biggest concern this year. Can Smith stay healthy and who of Rittich or Gillies will secure the backup spot.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #38
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The core is a long term goalie away from being perennial contenders. But a big part of actually contending is going to be the other 12-15 players on the roster at any given time. There's no way around that.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames certainly should be capable of going on a run if they stay healthy and can ride a hot goalie. put a lot of teams in this category.

But to be a legitimate contender in my mind, you need to have demonstrated the ability to rise to the occasion when it matters most. That remains a question mark IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #40
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Smith looked very consistent to me last year. Assuming he continues his strong play and the team in front of him is more consistent, I don't see an issue there.
When Smith is on, he can bounce between average and great. We've been treated to some truly rotten performances ever since Kipper decided to stay home and fish, so having someone between the pipes who was passable at his worst moments was a breath of fresh air in itself. But let's not kid ourselves here, he's not getting any younger and he hasn't had an outstanding season in years.

My big concern is his health. We saw last year how the team utterly collapsed without him, and I fear that without making any changes to the goaltending situation this year's team is the same old flimsy house of cards. I think it's quite ostensibly the Flames' biggest weakness and fair to criticize Treliving for not addressing it.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote