Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #361
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I laughed when he said jayswin expresses his opinion a lot, then later says jayswin never offers an opinion of his own.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #362
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cliff is a 10 top poster for stimulating interesting conversation.

Some people see internet message boards as a way for strangers to explore topics in a consequence free setting. This is completely wrong. Internet message boards are for meticulously keeping track of a strangers' opinions in order to construct a personality for them, than ranking all those people in a hierarchy based on one's own values and judgments, ultimately placing oneself on top of that hierarchy for a cheap endorphin hit. Otherwise, what's the point?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #363
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

Some people see internet message boards as a way for strangers to explore topics in a consequence free setting. This is completely wrong. Internet message boards are for meticulously keeping track of a strangers' opinions in order to construct a personality for them, than ranking all those people in a hierarchy based on one's own values and judgments, ultimately placing oneself on top of that hierarchy for a cheap endorphin hit. Otherwise, what's the point?
OMG. This is the most succinct and accurate description of anything, ever.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #364
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

This just sounds like talk from someone at the bottom of a lot of rankings.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #365
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I'll peel back the curtain for a moment: I find it beneficial that people are inclined to disagree with me, leads to better conversation. I have zero interest in accurately representing myself or getting anyone here to like me.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #366
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'll peel back the curtain for a moment: I find it beneficial that people are inclined to disagree with me, leads to better conversation. I have zero interest in accurately representing myself or getting anyone here to like me.
Well, I like your constructed personality Matata! I'LL be your Hakuna!
Old 07-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #367
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The $20 Tim’s card, to somehow lessen the historic trauma of residential schools, was a objectively a pretty trashy idea. Sure, I suppose trashier ideas could have been doled out, but that was the most garbage idea trotted out here.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #368
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The $20 Tim’s card, to somehow lessen the historic trauma of residential schools, was a objectively a pretty trashy idea. Sure, I suppose trashier ideas could have been doled out, but that was the most garbage idea trotted out here.
But how about a $40 Tim's card?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #369
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
But how about a $40 Tim's card?
Idiot. You always start at $21.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #370
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jayswin expresses a lot of opinions about other posters and their posts - mostly negative ones - but not as much about the thread topics themselves or even the nature of the conversation that's ongoing. I mean, this isn't about the thread topic either:
Quote:
... but it's still a substantive post, and not just "this post is terrible and dumb and I didn't enjoy reading it". We have a user for that and he's far more efficient.

(waits for This Post is Terrible to thank this post)
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #371
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there anything more paternalistic than arguing to hand out a bunch of gift cards? 50 years ago that suggestion would have been booze and smokes. I guess we know what some folks think about personal agency and righting historical wrongs. No cash, they'll just waste it is waiting in the next breath.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #372
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The CP validation hierarchy looks like this:

1) Popular opinion expressed in a snarky and derisive manner
2) Popular opinion expressed politely
3) Unpopular opinion expressed politely
4) Unpopular opinion expressed in a snarky and derisive manner

People with unpopular opinions are better off expressing them politely. But if they really want to rise in the rankings, they should keep the snarky tone and employ it in the service of more popular opinions.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #373
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Woah, kitten's got claws.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #374
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The CP validation hierarchy looks like this:

1) Popular opinion expressed in a snarky and derisive manner
2) Popular opinion expressed politely
3) Unpopular opinion expressed politely
4) Unpopular opinion expressed in a snarky and derisive manner

People with unpopular opinions are better off expressing them politely. But if they really want to rise in the rankings, they should keep the snarky tone and employ it in the service of more popular opinions.
And here I thought I was popular for my boyish charm.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #375
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I didn’t say anything about residential schools. The subject was renaming streets, etc.

Most people who live in these cities, let alone those on First Nations, have no idea who these places were named after in the first place. These kind of symbolic gestures don’t move the needle an inch when it comes to real-world outcomes. They’re nothing more than a way for the fraction of the population who live and breathe culture wars to keep score.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #376
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Is there anything more paternalistic than arguing to hand out a bunch of gift cards? 50 years ago that suggestion would have been booze and smokes. I guess we know what some folks think about personal agency and righting historical wrongs. No cash, they'll just waste it is waiting in the next breath.
It wasn't a suggestion to redress historic wrongs. He was using a hypothetical scenario to illustrate his point, which is that most indigenous people don't actually care all that much about re-naming things named after people with, shall we say, complicated legacies - that if given the choice between having those things re-named and getting a $20 gift card, indigenous people would care so little about the re-naming that they'd take the gift card that at least gives them a couple of free lunches.

Leaving aside whether you agree with the point or whether you think that example is good or bad, at least let's be clear about what he was actually saying.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #377
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t say anything about residential schools. The subject was renaming streets, etc.

Most people who live in these cities, let alone those on First Nations, have no idea who these places were named after in the first place. These kind of symbolic gestures don’t move the needle an inch when it comes to real-world outcomes. They’re nothing more than a way for the fraction of the population who live and breathe culture wars to keep score.

Well the current context for renaming most infrastructure like streets, bridges, schools, etc. is due to their namesakes’ historic role in the destruction of First Nations’ culture and most recently residential schools, so maybe I misspoke when I said your idea for giving out token Tim’s cards, instead of renaming streets, was a poor way of making amends, if that isn’t what you were implying.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #378
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It wasn't a suggestion to redress historic wrongs. He was using a hypothetical scenario to illustrate his point, which is that most indigenous people don't actually care all that much about re-naming things named after people with, shall we say, complicated legacies - that if given the choice between having those things re-named and getting a $20 gift card, indigenous people would care so little about the re-naming that they'd take the gift card that at least gives them a couple of free lunches.

Leaving aside whether you agree with the point or whether you think that example is good or bad, at least let's be clear about what he was actually saying.
I understood the intent, it's just another example of offering trinkets so old stock Canadians can feel like something was done that doesn't offend their sensibilities.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's pretty dismissive to not acknowledge that it is indigenous people asking for these changes, not people "who live and breathe culture wars". To not be able to listen to what they are saying, and acknowledge that ya, these references can continue to perpetuate mental harm, and to suggest they'd rather have a $20 gift card is all pretty dismissive stuff.

Quote:
The letter, signed by 18 professors and researchers, calls for “removing the face and name of a symbol of oppression, violence, and pain.”

It also lends support to a movement launched by Indigenous students at Ryerson last month to refer to Ryerson publicly as X University, to avoid repeating a name that the students described as a symbol of cultural genocide.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...o-change-name/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #380
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's pretty dismissive to not acknowledge that it is indigenous people asking for these changes, not people "who live and breathe culture wars". To not be able to listen to what they are saying, and acknowledge that ya, these references can continue to perpetuate mental harm, and to suggest they'd rather have a $20 gift card is all pretty dismissive stuff.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...o-change-name/
In my experience, Indigenous professors, researchers, and student activists are about as representative of the beliefs of average Indigenous Canadians as their non-Indigenous counterparts are.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-19-2021 at 12:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: