Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #3601
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a great speech by Biden. I love how he hammered Trump without mentioning him by name.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:10 PM   #3602
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-07-2022, 07:11 AM   #3603
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a Cheney fan, but she ripped Baier apart.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #3604
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1479525540461645825
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #3605
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

That tweet is from 2010. Hopefully he was being sarcastic or has grown up since then.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:11 PM   #3606
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
That tweet is from 2010. Hopefully he was being sarcastic or has grown up since then.
Yeah, I tend to give a bit more leeway when the person in question is in their 20s or 30s and you can chalk it up to just being young and dumb, it's a little more embarrassing for some one in their 50s.

He's now claiming it may have been sarcasm, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: And before any of the "cancel culture" hysterics come in here, I'm not saying the dude should lose his job. An apology and explanation is perfectly sufficient.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #3607
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Here’s a tweet from him today.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1479520184620789763
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #3608
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Just shows that there is context and nuance to everything. Can't look back years later.

It could have been sarcasm, hey look you dumbass Republicans there are 2 undocumented people on TV, let's deport them.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #3609
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I like her a lot. She was on The Daily podcast a day or two ago and she's so well spoken, articulate and principled. I don't like her policy stances, but at least she's rational and doesn't bend the knee. Would be so cool and good for the States if Dems and Republicans could argue based on policy and not on reality. Captain Obvious, I know, but it's still a breath of fresh air to listen to a Republican and disagree with them without thinking they're a repugnant human being.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #3610
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Just shows that there is context and nuance to everything. Can't look back years later.

It could have been sarcasm, hey look you dumbass Republicans there are 2 undocumented people on TV, let's deport them.
It's all stupid. Let's go find some tweets from 10 years ago and attack the guy. Online fake outrage syndrome is ridiculous.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #3611
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s also worth keeping in mind Democrat sensibilities around immigration have shifted dramatically in the last decade or so. Speeches Obama made on the topic years ago would bring down a firestorm of outrage today.

“We cannot continue to allow people to enter the United States undetected, undocumented, and unchecked”

“those who enter our country’s borders illegally, and those who employ them, disrespect the rule of the law.”

- 2008 Democratic platform

“immigration reduces the wages of domestic workers who compete with immigrants”

“the fiscal burden of low-wage immigrants is also pretty clear.”

“We’ll need to reduce the inflow of low-skill immigrants.”

- Paul Krugman, 2006

“When I see Mexican flags waved at proimmigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”

- Barak Obama. 2006

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/19/69480...nged-the-party

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...istake/528678/

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-08-2022 at 09:03 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #3612
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Whoa, things change. News at 11.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #3613
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
It's all stupid. Let's go find some tweets from 10 years ago and attack the guy. Online fake outrage syndrome is ridiculous.

Yes, and it's really pick and choose based on narrative and agenda. So any appointee to anything has to be a perfect human being, no jokes, sarcasm or mistakes.

I mean, I could easily find articles about so-called anti-immigration.

There's President Biden who was against taking in Vietnamese immigrants after the war in 1975.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...chance/618586/

Or Vice-President Harris supporting the arrest undocumented juveniles

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...on-legislation

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/polit...nted-juveniles

This article was written when she was a candidate, the idea that she was against sanctuary cities. but now that she's VP, it's all okay. At some point in time, the idea of not taking in people or deporting undocumented Americans became racist which it wasn't in 1975 or 2008. Attitudes and times change, we can't judge something many years ago without context.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-08-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #3614
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Whoa, things change. News at 11.
The 2008 Democratic platform referred to illegal immigration three times. The 2016 platform zero times.

What changed, legally, in that span?
Old 01-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #3615
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm just shocked someone posted Joe Rogan's stand up and praised it sans irony. Shame on them.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #3616
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The 2008 Democratic platform referred to illegal immigration three times. The 2016 platform zero times.

Probably nothing. Folks just realized that illegal immigration is not that big of a deal. 3 times in a platform is as close to not being mentioned as one can get. It clearly was a very minor priority in the platform in 2008. It was not a priority at all in 2016. Not every public policy issue makes it into a platform.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #3617
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

You're totally right. Over an 8 year period, society's attitudes and ideas shifting is completely bizarre.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #3618
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a clearly articulated platform for immigration from any factions of the Democratic party these days? Everyone is pretty much in favor of DACA. What have they settled on for other current illegal immigrants? Just let them stay in a don't ask/don't tell under the table fashion? And not really let any new ones in? I'm pretty much an open borders guy, but I don't really see too many democrats taking that stand. Just letting them stay for their cheap under the table labor and not giving anything like health care doesn't seem like a great policy.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #3619
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is there a clearly articulated platform for immigration from any factions of the Democratic party these days? Everyone is pretty much in favor of DACA. What have they settled on for other current illegal immigrants? Just let them stay in a don't ask/don't tell under the table fashion? And not really let any new ones in? I'm pretty much an open borders guy, but I don't really see too many democrats taking that stand. Just letting them stay for their cheap under the table labor and not giving anything like health care doesn't seem like a great policy.

Here's a good article that explains.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...istake/528678/

When Trump came down that escalator and called Mexican's rapists. The Democrats immediately had to take the other side.

THe real Democrats sticking point is, Can you promote mass immigration and greater economic redistribution but not assimilate? After all, assimilate and melting pots is a dirty word, it's microaggression and systemically racist.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-08-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #3620
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You're totally right. Over an 8 year period, society's attitudes and ideas shifting is completely bizarre.
I didn’t say it was bizarre. But if you want to get into the details of what exactly happened and why (the declining influence of labor in the Democratic party, affective polarization vs Republicans, etc.) then give the two articles I linked to a read.