Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #1141
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You too. Good work. Keep attempting to de-legitimize peoples' views on what's morally important based on their gender, sexual orientation and race. Keep polishing that armor while you're at it... nice and shiny.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #1142
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As if this case wasn't already a disgrace...

Quote:
Former Stanford student and star swimmer Brock Turner was released from Santa Clara County jail on Friday.

Turner was sentenced to six months in jail in June after he was found guilty of three felony counts of sexually assaulting an unconscious and intoxicated 22-year-old woman outside a fraternity house in January 2015. He was released three months early for good behavior.

The 21-year-old’s case ignited fierce debate over campus rape and the criminal justice system. It led California lawmakers to pass a tougher sexual assault law and prompted an effort to recall the judge, the Associated Press reports.

Turner told authorities he plans to live with his parents in his native Ohio, where will be on probation for three years and must register as a sex offender for life. Lawyers say the requirement will make it difficult for him to find jobs and housing.
http://time.com/4477395/stanford-swi...alflow_twitter
Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #1143
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default The "I Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You too. Good work. Keep attempting to de-legitimize peoples' views on what's morally important based on their gender, sexual orientation and race. Keep polishing that armor while you're at it... nice and shiny.

Says the guy who got legit offended because I made a comment suggesting he might be bragging about his car.

Visible minority offended over suggestions they aren't from here? "Wake up PC culture! You make me sick!"

Corsi getting offended over suggestions he humble bragged? "That's offensive! What's your problem!?"

Funny.

You're allowed to have opinions on what is morally important, but it's stupid to tell someone they're wrong for feeling a certain way when you have 0% of the relevant life experience required to do so.

Not understanding why it's offensive: Fine
Saying it shouldn't be offensive: Needs reference
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #1144
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah man. You said something dickish about me, personally, for no apparent reason. Hence, I pm'd you to ask what the heck your problem was and if you were just trying to troll me. That seems like a reasonable use of the private messaging system, doesn't it? Is that not a good way to try to figure out why someone's acting like a jerk? Talk to them directly and privately and see if you can't work out whatever the problem is?

Of course, you didn't respond, and instead have now twice mentioned the message on the public forum instead. This says nothing good about you.

Hell, I disagree with jammies' and Rube's world views pretty frequently, but we get along. You seem to just enjoy being like this when people don't align with you.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #1145
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
What if their "homeland" is Calgary?
I usually ask 'what's your ethnicity?' not 'where's your homeland?'

I'm fully aware that the majority of the people I meet are born and raised here in Canada so I don't assume they aren't.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #1146
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

"and must register as a sex offender for life. Lawyers say the requirement will make it difficult for him to find jobs and housing."

Wah - tough #### for that guy.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #1147
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah man. You said something dickish about me, personally, for no apparent reason. Hence, I pm'd you to ask what the heck your problem was and if you were just trying to troll me. That seems like a reasonable use of the private messaging system, doesn't it? Is that not a good way to try to figure out why someone's acting like a jerk? Talk to them directly and privately and see if you can't work out whatever the problem is?

Of course, you didn't respond, and instead have now twice mentioned the message on the public forum instead. This says nothing good about you.

Hell, I disagree with jammies' and Rube's world views pretty frequently, but we get along. You seem to just enjoy being like this when people don't align with you.

I did respond. Peter and I message back and forth all the time, why you didn't get the message I have no idea, but it was basically: "lol it was a joke, relax."

I've never responded to you anything less than in-kind. Perhaps this is a sign to re-evalute.

I'm not really sure why this offends you so much. It's such a ridiculous thing to be offended about I should post it in the GMG thread!

On a serious note: still curious over the difference between the levels of offense. You and I get offended over much less, so what basis do either of us have to say "A chinese-canadian shouldn't be offended because of questions based on their appearance."
Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #1148
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has taken an odd turn.

If I meet someone that is a visible minority yet has no accent, I generally won't ask them "if they are from here?".

If I meet someone that is a visible minority, yet has an accent I might as them "if they are from here?".

I should say that I might phrase it in a way other than "you from here?".

What upsets me is that nobody asks me where I am from, and I am an immigrant.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #1149
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^Wait wait wait... your culture is "girls"? What the heck does that even mean?

Also I'm offended by your stereotypical portrayal of Canadian culture, you bigot.

The Chinese-Canadian guy, and I don't care why that is, because it's such a completely miniscule bit of offense that it's absurd you even took the time to write out this post. It's the rudeness equivalent of forgetting to cover your mouth when you cough. Preferable you didn't do that? Okay, sure. Worth making a big deal of it? Not even remotely. The fact that there has been a page on this makes me want to quote the whole thing and paste it in the GMG thread.

Wow, what a racist.
Jesus. This post can basically be summed up as "Shut up! I'm right and you're wrong, so there." For a guy who makes continued pleas for reasoned discourse your post contains about as much of it as an angry 12 year-old on Twitter. You're a smart dude but your emotional intellect and maturity comes across as sorely lacking when you meltdown and fail to try and put yourself in anyone else's shoes.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #1150
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I did respond. Peter and I message back and forth all the time, why you didn't get the message I have no idea, but it was basically: "lol it was a joke, relax."
Nope, didn't get it, but if you say so, no worries.

Quote:
On a serious note: still curious over the difference between the levels of offense. You and I get offended over much less, so what basis do either of us have to say "A chinese-canadian shouldn't be offended because of questions based on their appearance."
I didn't say they couldn't be offended. I totally get why this would bother someone. Some people get offended by people who cough and don't cover their mouth, others couldn't care less. I can't tell the former sort of person they should just shrug it off, or if I can, it won't make them less annoyed by it. Some people get really angry when someone in their office uses the speaker phone; for others it's no big deal. They just get posted in the GMG thread and others say "hear hear", and everyone goes on with their lives.

It's when people start implementing policies to address a problem that, let's face it, isn't any more serious a problem than the various other things that are annoying or rude, elevating these things to moral imperatives, that I roll my eyes and say "why are we wasting our time with this". We don't need to protect people who are bothered by coughing or speaker phones, but apparently minorities are so vulnerable, emotionally fragile and so need of your assistance to save them from the insensitivity of people who mean well enough but say careless things that you must charge in to the rescue.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-02-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #1151
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, didn't get it, but if you say so, no worries.

I didn't say they couldn't be offended. I totally get why this would bother someone. Some people get offended by people who cough and don't cover their mouth, others couldn't care less. I can't tell the former sort of person they should just shrug it off. Some people get really angry when someone in their office uses the speaker phone; for others it's no big deal. They just get posted in the GMG thread and others say "hear hear", and everyone goes on with their lives.

It's when people start implementing policies to address a problem that, let's face it, isn't any more serious a problem than the various other things that are annoying or rude, elevating these things to moral imperatives, that I roll my eyes and say "why are we wasting our time with this". We don't need to protect people who are bothered by coughing or speaker phones, but apparently minorities are so vulnerable, emotionally fragile and so need of your assistance to save them from the insensitivity of people who mean well enough but say careless things that you must charge in to the rescue.

I mean, not literally charge in... just hypothetically, in principle, on an internet message board. Good thing there was a cosmetic, no-stakes battle for you to fight on the internet, otherwise you wouldn't have an opportunity to anonymously prove to everyone how virtuous you are.
See this was much better than the first post.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #1152
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Being proud of your heritage has always struck me as weird. Celebrating your culture is one thing but actual pride is bizarre. Oooh your ancestors were born somewhere? Wow I bet no one else can say that.
Or the Irish/Italian/English/Scottish/*insert nationality here that were born in Canada and have never step foot in "their country".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #1153
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
See this was much better than the first post.
Except for the last paragraph you quoted that I took out because, yeah, this time I was the one being a dick.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #1154
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to live on this planet anymore because of the conversation in this thread.

On a more serious note, this is just sad:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/01...at-edmonton-is

Quote:
“I will not let somebody speak a racial slur or make me, or another person, uncomfortable without also (giving them) the opportunity to feel uncomfortable as well,” Lipscombe said.

The middle-age white man, seated in the front passenger seat, at first denied using the slur, but then grew agitated and started swearing at Lipscombe again before slamming the car door. As the car drove off, the man once again started slinging racist slurs at Lipscombe.

After posting the video on his Facebook page, those leaving comments took turns condemning the man’s actions and expressing their shock and surprise

Last edited by Weitz; 09-02-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #1155
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Except for the last paragraph you quoted that I took out because, yeah, this time I was the one being a dick.

When you're good, you're good. When any of us stoop down to dickish levels, we basically make each other worse.

I also messaged you again just now, if you don't get this one then I have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #1156
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore because on the conversation in this thread.
This was my first thought as I scrolled through that argument.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #1157
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
This is a perfect example of what having privilege feels like, and what having your privilege questioned feels like.
Then I guess 95 per cent of the people on the planet are privileged. Because it's only in pockets of North America and Northern Europe where it's taboo to note or make any comments regarding someone's race or ethnicity. You don't think someone of Indian ancestry in South Africa gets asked where he's from? Or a Central Asian in coastal China? Or a Korean in Peru?

It's often impolite, sure, depending on the way it's brought up. And a Canadian citizen of Korean descent is as much a Canadian as someone who can trace back a lineage four generations. But the anxiety and shaming around this kind of social digression is bizarre. Really, I think more Canadians need to travel a bit. Get some perspective on the way most people on the planet behave.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-02-2016 at 09:57 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #1158
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore because of the conversation in this thread.

On a more serious note, this is just sad:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/01...at-edmonton-is
Wow- that's ####ed up.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #1159
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

It really is unbelievable.

That sex offender status though, that is a serious deal. They just said on CNN that he might not be able to go to his (hypothetical) children's sporting events. Among all the other stuff.

This will rightfully follow him for the rest of his life, even if he didn't even get a slap on the wrist now. So there's that?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #1160
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If nothing else was true justice, having him register as a sex offender is definitely a decent measure of it.

It'll rightfully restrict many of his options both personally and professionally, and should anyone 10-15 years down the road look up why he's registered? That'll close even more doors.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: